Working Party for 2nd Organisation

Admin

Get CASA to do it.They do it already.

There's merit in it, make the government look after our ability to fly simply and affordably.

If they throw too much regulation at us, threaten them with ministers and the media.

All the GA people pay once off payment licenses, don't have to belong to an organisation and have clear cut rules to follow.

Do GA pilots need to submit a yearly flying report?

• Like 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ian, Why can't we follow the NZ line. Works with two organisations very well.Have CASA take over the aircraft registrations (VH-xxx) of ALL aircraft in Aus.

This would ease the current problems we have with "Registrations". If run by CASA then it must be right!

If CASA want to distinguish between GA and Ultralight registrations then have all ultralights as VH-U(uniform)xxx or something similar although this does not happen across the ditch.

Ave8r, while the pilot/licensing/instruction side may work well under the two orgs in New Zealand, the aircraft registration side is far worse off with four weeks plus waits for NZCAA delegates to come and inspect new aircraft. This particularly applies to ultralights (microlights), I believe because they are not economically significant. When LSA was first introduced there were similar waits for CASA surveyors to sign off on the aircraft. Our track record with RA Aus has been far superior to this with aircraft usually achieving registration within one working week of final assembly. We have a good system in place at RA Aus with comprehensive Technical and Operations bibles in place to guide the day to day functions as they affect pilots and aircraft owners.

I personally fully endorse the comments made by Riley above. Members, through non-voting apathy have gotten Board members by default. RA Aus is a multi million dollar turnover organisation and is now beyond the business ability of a one man flying school operator. We have a rich and diverse membership, many in early retirement who have successfully built their own businesses or who have had salaried careers in management and finance. These are the members who we should be encouraging to take an interest in the oversight of RA, Aus, our organisation.

• Like 7
  • Winner 1

There's merit in it, make the government look after our ability to fly simply and affordably.If they throw too much regulation at us, threaten them with ministers and the media.

All the GA people pay once off payment licenses, don't have to belong to an organisation and have clear cut rules to follow.

Maybe not but unless they built thier ga plane themselves they need to pay for the annual/100 hourly to be done by a lame even if they havent flown the plane all year. That will work out much more expensive and painful than submitting a yearly flying report.

Make no mistake. GA is not a real alternative to Raa. It's just for the few rich business people who can afford to maintain a ga aircraft.

There's merit in it, make the government look after our ability to fly simply and affordably.

I don't know why RAA is not involved with the Australian Aviation Associations' Forum (TAAAF) and its aviation policy - view it at http://www.raaa.com.au/issues/taaaf-policy-document.html

Lots of fees at every turn; many belong to an organisation to have the strength to fight against silly new rules etc. Existing rules are anything but clear.

Operators required to provide reports of aircraft usage to http://www.bitre.gov.au/statistics/aviation/general_aviation.aspx

• Like 1

"""All the GA people pay once off payment licenses, don't have to belong to an organisation and have clear cut rules to follow.

Do GA pilots need to submit a yearly flying report?"""

.? Have you had dealings with the way CASA charges? $70.00 just to process a medical (yes PROCESS that's after paying for your medical)

Another example : I was quoted $250.00 per hour to supervise a DG instructor's course to gain CASA approval of a state government course.

The list of unrealistic costs and charges goes on. Be careful with what you ask for you may find that what you want and what you end up with would be entirely different.

CASA and AFFORDABLE do not belong in the same sentence. Easy and prompt to deal with - just try it.

Frank

• Like 2

Ave8r, Our track record with RA Aus has been far superior to this with aircraft usually achieving registration within one working week of final assembly. We have a good system in place at RA Aus with comprehensive Technical and Operations bibles in place to guide the day to day functions as they affect pilots and aircraft owners.

Bruce. I don't believe you can say that now as I believe there have been NO new registrations for over a month. The system can't of been far superior as we would not be in the position we now find ourselves in. I don't think NZCAA (can be corrected) send an inspector to NEW owner built microlights only LSA.

To my way of thinking, the proposal of a "working party for a second organisation" has merit. Not because I expect a new organisation to actually eventuate as a phoenix rising from the RAAus ashes, but because it allows interested people who have the skills we would like to see in RAAus to openly table their ideas about how to successfully organise the running of our governing body. It would allow the airing of lots of concepts that may even ( well, the better ones, hopefully) be adopted by our people rebuilding the dysfunctional RAAus. Sort of like modelling of a new open communicative, responsible group and testing the ideas. It allows the development and open processes that we (the complainers) would dearly like to see. It allows the contribution and participation of many more members than are presently allowed to be involved. These forums have opened my eyes to the many talented and knolwedgable members that we should be asking. We are not just a bunch of knockers. Nor just a bunch of cowboys. The ideas suggested already such as studying the merits of the NZ system sounds great. After all our present problems don't come (as far as we know) from a lack of regulation. It comes from a lack of due processes and lack of compliance with existing or new procedures. A heavier bureaucracy will only burden the administrators (and cost us more). I would like to see a lightweight regulatory system for our type of flying, coupled with a better culture of personal responsibility.

Peter

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
What we need is:

1. Competent governance (the Board) employing

2. Competent management (the General Manger)

Both of whom recognise they are accountable to the membership for what they do. This will require high level communication.

Any level of communication would be an improvement!