Some forced landings

fly_tornado

[quote="facthunter, post: 259828, member: 134" A twin comanche I owned VH LLV some years ago had done the trip from the US to here wth no hassles whatever.

How did the comanche fly here? In the cargo bay of a Qantas 747:yelrotflmao:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By itself with 6 tanks plus some ferry ones. Most planes come in a container. The Twin Commanche is a nice little thing. Cruise at about 155 Kts and similar fuel flow as a single with a 540 in it. the engines are 320's but these were supercharged for work in the rocky mountains (massively different engine to standard) with an oxygen system. Since I have given you the reg details I am hardly likely to make it up. It's all in the log books.. Nev

Skimming treetops over tiger country in a 2 stroke, natural selection at work..... They were lucky

Why do people think a two stroke is less reliable. It has less moving parts, no valve and lifter problems. I prefer them to an air cooled 4 stroke any day

"Racing improves the breed". Towards the end of 2-strokes' dominance of motorcycle road racing we saw the introduction of water cooling, which sure improved efficiency and reliability. When the water-cooled 2–strokes were used in endurance racing they rarely made the distance. There were still some inner parts that got too hot.

Why do people think a two stroke is less reliable. It has less moving parts, no valve and lifter problems. I prefer them to an air cooled 4 stroke any day

Cos that's the mantra they've learned to repeat.....

When you look at the design of one you wonder why it would work and when it stops you can't work out why it doesn't work. They have hardly any oil, rely on fuel to cool them and have holes all over the place for piston rings to get into.

I knew a chap who had had 13 failures of his two stroke engines. Nev

Ski

Skimming treetops over tiger country in a 2 stroke, natural selection at work..... They were lucky

One might also argue the natural selection case for people doing the same with a four stroke engine, the safest way to fly over tiger country (if you must) is to have a spare engine.

The spare engine has to working on the plane, so it's not really"spare". The trouble with small multi engined planes that have off centre engines they do require some precise flying to stay alive, when one stops. It is very unbalanced and a plane thst was going quite nicely now becomes something that has no real surplus of power at all and is not too easy to control as well. However that is mostly a big problem if it happens on take off. Your twin would be OK over "tiger country". but too costly to own and train on. Nev

• Like 1

The spare engine has to working on the plane, so it's not really"spare". The trouble with small multi engined planes that have off centre engines they do require some precise flying to stay alive, when one stops. It is very unbalanced and a plane thst was going quite nicely now becomes something that has no real surplus of power at all and is not too easy to control as well. However that is mostly a big problem if it happens on take off. Your twin would be OK over "tiger country". but too costly to own and train on. Nev

I am very aware of the marginal performance of most small twins, the point was, without another means of sufficient power, why would you fly over tiger country at an altitude that gives you insuffient glide range just for the fun of it? And that doing it with a four stroke really isn't any better.

I am very aware of the marginal performance of most small twins, the point was, without another means of sufficient power, why would you fly over tiger country at an altitude that gives you insuffient glide range just for the fun of it? And that doing it with a four stroke really isn't any better.

I think someone else suggested the answer already.

Darwinian selection .....?

I am a great believer in the adage that "you make your own luck'. The trouble is that despite YOU doing the right thing some complete idiot comes along and puts you into the next world, because he/she can't be bothered doing the right thing. Like texting while you are driving. Nev.

I' just hope I'm not driving along a road when someone decides he has to land there cos he didn't fly with the right mindset, which is - that your engine "will" fail at any moment. Never fly anywhere you can't land.

• Like 1

I am a great believer in the adage that "you make your own luck'. The trouble is that despite YOU doing the right thing some complete idiot comes along and puts you into the next world, because he/she can't be bothered doing the right thing. Like texting while you are driving. Nev.

I agree that you can make your own luck......I have found you can most of the time, although it's not completely foolproof, also learn the signs that indicate one of those "idiots" is about, and take measures to avoid them. Something I wish QLD police would learn.

Call me curious, but wish the Police would learn what??

Should be a completely different thread......After spending some considerable time in QLD traffic, it's not too hard to pick from quite some distance, someone texting or talking on the phone, smoking while driving(they all follow the same pattern), with depth perception problems, and the ones who are paying absolutlety no attention to the traffic ahead.By appearances QLD police would rather pull over a 'P' plater doing 3 k's over, or nothing wrong at all (I haven't been one for years) than the older guy that has obviously poor eyesight, and is incabable of staying between to white lines 3 metres apart.

Essentially, what I was trying to say, is that if I can detect a driver having problems controlling a vehicle from up to a Km away, why can't they?

The aviation side has nothing to do with police, just suggesting that with experience you begin to notice little things that tell you something is going to happen shortly.

By appearances QLD police would rather pull over a 'P' plater doing 3 k's over, or nothing wrong at all ............. if I can detect a driver having problems controlling a vehicle from up to a Km away, why can't they?The aviation side has nothing to do with police, just suggesting that with experience you begin to notice little things that tell you something is going to happen shortly.

Well, never judge 'by appearances' is my first tip. I don't know why the police came into this thread either, but seeing as they got a mention, many P platers I see appear to be driving faster than most others and by virtue of their inexperience, pose one of the greatest risks to themselves and in turn, others.

I doubt the abilities some older drivers too, but don't see much extraordinary ability in detecting 'a driver having problems controlling a vehicle' from a km away if they are clearly of advanced age. I wouldn't think there would be much skill required in avoiding them either. A weaving P plater on the M1 travelling at high speed on the other hand....not as risky than grandad in the Holden?? You lost me....

Well, never judge 'by appearances' is my first tip. I don't know why the police came into this thread either, but seeing as they got a mention, many P platers I see appear to be driving faster than most others and by virtue of their inexperience, pose one of the greatest risks to themselves and in turn, others.I doubt the abilities some older drivers too, but don't see much extraordinary ability in detecting 'a driver having problems controlling a vehicle' from a km away if they are clearly of advanced age. I wouldn't think there would be much skill required in avoiding them either. A weaving P plater on the M1 travelling at high speed on the other hand....not as risky than grandad in the Holden?? You lost me....

When you get a bit further west,(I imagine you are well aware at Roma) the the one that crosses over in front of a road train is far riskier than the 'P' plater doin 3k's over. I witnessed what was almost a multi vehicle collision the other day, when and older woman doing 35 k's pulled out of a side road in front of a road train and other traffic doing 80. Which sort of illustrates what I was originally getting at, I could tell from a distance that this particular driver was incompetant (without knowing sex or age), which made me hold back because trouble was coming.I could write a truckload on this subject, but essentially all I was meaning for aviation purposes was that with a little experience you begin to see problems before they get too advanced.

The only reason I mentioned our police, is that I regularly see them ignore drivers who very obviously incapable.

• Like 1

I would think that even one cable failing would cause a significant loss of power as the one "good" cylinder would be dragging around the one who's carb was at idle.

That is correct to lose one cylinder on a Rotax 2 stroke you are going down there is not much more power than a dead engine.