Medical requirements for gyroplanes

Stillhere

Guest GraemeM
Why are the medical requirements for a gyroplanelicence higher than RAAus LSA pilots.

You will find that Australian Sport Rotorcraft Ass (ASRA) has some of the highest standards in the world.

It is because we care about the safety of our people.

We lead the world in design and build standards.

And we (ASRA) don't fail audits also.

Graeme.

Guest Howard Hughes

I gotta say I am none the wiser also!

Not sure there is a direct correlation between higher medical standards and improved safety (if that's what you are suggesting). I suspect the focus on design standards would have far more impact!

You're all reading Graeme's answer incorrectly. You need to put in some punctuation marks, it should read:-

Read my reply above again, the answer to your question, lies within! 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif.

Sorry Graeme, I just couldn't resist.

Alan.

I have known a few gyro pilots ( One now deceased, as a result of his interest) and I have no idea whether they are older or younger on average than RAAus. The medical reqirements V/s safety has always been a contentious issue. I have been associated with plenty of class one medical types and as many of them dropped dead suddenly as I would have thought "normal" people did. Some of them just after doing their renewals, with no sign of a problem, prior. Nev

• Like 2

Instructors / passenger endorsed pilots must meet same standard as " heavy transport" requires.........

Single seaters must meet standard as per normal drivers licence requires......

Why.............if you are responsible for the person alongside of you ( 2 seater ) why not a higher medical check......( safety again )

All pilots are required to have regular flight checks ..........( again safety )

hope this helps......

Perhaps you are achieving an appearance of safety? A friend of mine died in a gyro that was probably a faulty design. Class One dates back to airforce entry type attitudes. We fly this stuff for fun. You aren't running an airline, or anything like it.. If you were really interested in safety I would start with the standard of training and the basic concept and design of your aircraft . Is your choice of this medical standard basid on a realistic risk assessment analysis? Nev

No one apart from the RAA guys yeah have mentioned class 1, there is no class 1, as Russ said the reguirement for instructor and passenger is HEAVY TRANSPORT clearance, ie semi licence medical clearance, ie a visit to the Doctor, to do a few tests and the like nothing major.

"Perhaps you are achieving an appearance of safety? A friend of mine died in a gyro that was probably a faulty design"

Yep could have been, just like there is f*cked up FW designs that kill people, all we can do is try to educate people on what is safe and what is not.

Hi bones, thanks very much for SHOUTING your reply, heard the words so much more clearly that time.

As you might notice, I am not in RAA yet (check my location) I also am ignorant of the driver licencing medical requirements in Australia.

So, when I saw "heavy transport" I thought it meant air transport.

• Agree 1

So, when I saw "heavy transport" I thought it meant air transport.

That seems a fair mistake, and one that anyone who hasn't had a medical for a heavy road vehicle license in Australia could make. This is an aviation forum, seems only natural that a person would think of an aviation reference to most terms used.

• Like 1

I'm dumb too. I thought we (up till then) were talking about planes. Why would RAAus people talk about class one, more than any particular group? Most of them never encounter it. Instructing is done in the RAAus with a PPL medical or an alternative RAAus one.

In this context the transport road medical has some similar aspects so might be more comparable to the PPl ( class two). The passenger carrying applicability would then be the main point of difference.

The thing with discussions of medicals standards to ensure that for the extra cost and difficulty, that a genuine gain in safety, is achieved for the restriction incurred. You can easily ground people who present no increased hazard or liability. Nev

• Like 1

From what Bones said, it just seems that a gyropilot needs a CASA Class 3 medical.

Having just done my Class 3, might I suggest that for fellows of retirement age, getting a Class 3 is a useful way to maintain a check on one's general health. If you didn't have to do an aviation medical every year or two, and you thought yourself to be in good health, would you bother to go have an annual check up? If you are good with the gab, you might be able to convince your doctor to bill Medicare for the long consultation, and have him throw in the signature on the CASA form for free.

OME

I posed the original question of this thread. What prompted me to do that was because I had become really interested in these unusual flying machines from what I had seen and read on the internet particularly the Calidus and the Magni- M24 and similiar. I was thinking I would like to get a piece of this action however having seen what has transpired in some of the replies I have decided I don't really want to be a part of your organisation. Depending on how things panned out I would have been tempted to buy one. I'll stick to flying 3 axis LSA's, thanks but no thanks.

Does that mean that you are prepared to judge a whole sport by the statements of one or two of it's participants ?

Personally, I love the idea of gyros and will be cross-training this year to add them to my licence.

I posed the original question of this thread. What prompted me to do that was because I had become really interested in these unusual flying machines from what I had seen and read on the internet particularly the Calidus and the Magni- M24 and similiar. I was thinking I would like to get a piece of this action however having seen what has transpired in some of the replies I have decided I don't really want to be a part of your organisation. Depending on how things panned out I would have been tempted to buy one. I'll stick to flying 3 axis LSA's, thanks but no thanks.

Agree with your call..............safe flying.

• 5 months later...
Instructors / passenger endorsed pilots must meet same standard as " heavy transport" requires.........Single seaters must meet standard as per normal drivers licence requires......

I'm curious about heavy transport requirements

Sorry to steal the thread but I have a rigid licence in Vic and have never had to do a medical

I'm curious about heavy transport requirementsSorry to steal the thread but I have a rigid licence in Vic and have never had to do a medical

Nev25,

If it is the same a Qld [as it should be under TORUMS agreeded to by 5 states] then the requirement is for commercial work only. WA and NT didn't agree so they play their own games - unless they have changed since I had anything to to with it some years ago.