Where are all the Lightwing / Tail-Dragger Aviators ?

Guest b1rd

Guest b1rd

Is tail dragging passe ? Even todays modern minimalist ultralights are mostly, if not all, trike/nosewheel configs. Where are the tail-dragging lovers ? Why are there seemingly so few ? And hardly any posts on this thread. C'mon don't be shy hehe !

cheers,

b1rd.

I for one have always been interested in the notion of tail-draggers.. And Ive been thinking of it again recently in my deliberations on what 3-axis a/c would work best for me and my shortish grass strip...

Is the following a fair summary of the cons?:

1. Difficulty in seeing over the nose in taxiing and take-off?

2. Difficulty in turning sharply in taxiing? (Esp. U turns?)

3. Need to go easy on the brakes on landing?

4. Limited number of instructors - esp. in the bush.

Cheers

Chris

Seeing that 99% of all aircraft were taildraggers before about the 1940's, it's hard to understand why now about 98% are all trikes?

They are not that hard to operate even if they do have a little bit of character about them.

Difficulty in seeing over the nose in taxiing and take-off

Possibly the case, although the lightWing on the ground has a better view over the nose than a Jabiru in flight!

Difficulty in turning sharply in taxiing

You can't turn any tighter than standing on a brake and spinning around on one wheel?!

Need to go easy on the brakes on landing?

In some cases you need a lot more brake than you do in a trike, but you must be able to use them over their whole range of abilty, and independently.

Limited number of instructors

It's probably the other way around, dropping numbers of taildraggers has left us with trike instructors with limited abilities (boy, I'm gonna hear about that one!!)

Where are the tail-dragging lovers?

We're here, but most people miss us because we look like farmers, not uni students.

Time to go put on my asbestos suit,

Arthur.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

From the number of aircraft having problems with nose wheels it may be a good idea for more people to fly taildraggers. No nose wheel to break and it will teach you how to conserve the nosewheel when you do fly one.

• Like 1

Guest b1rd

Good comments guys ;) I'm glad to see there's still some enthusiam out there for tail draggers because I'd hate to see the art of flying them disappear. I don't really understand why student pilots mostly, from what I've seen anyway, seem to veer toward learning on nose-wheel aircraft .... except perhaps they look more modern or they think they're easier or safer ?

Anway I'm learning in a Lightwing tail dragger and absolutely loving it (visibility is great and roomier than a Jab)... it is a fantastic aircraft in my opinion .... but everyone else is learning in Jabs or something similar .... and missing out on a great experience. On takeoff for instance, there's nothing quite like sitting at a backward angle then raising the tail with forward stick and pulling back when speed is sufficient to take off. And you don't have to worry about stuffing up the nose wheel !

Tail wheel

Nose wheel damage is a worry on all aircraft, but particularly the lighter built ones, such as we fly. It can never be designed strong enough to take the forces that can be imposed on it with poor technique or rough ground, particularly SIDE loads. If it's not there, its not a problem. Ian's comments are appropriate, too . It will make you a better pilot, for all types, whether you continue with it or not. A good pilot could achieve a safer landing outcome in a tailwheel type in rough air conditions, than with a conventionally set up tricycle undercarriage, I believe, and perhaps this could be elaborated on. There is no doubt that they are a different beast, for sure. Taxying visibility forward is a particular case in point, requiring " S " turns to be performed to clear the nose, so you don't run into things. Arthur, the POH for the Citabria advises not to use brakes for directional control (differential) on landing, as they consider them too savage. ( This is just general advice, and not a restriction) It's not difficult to smoke the tyre on tarmac. Of course, if you have to pull up quickly, you use what you have got Nev...

• 1 year later...
Guest Maj Millard

GR- 912s Heliview Lightwing driver....

Remember: real pilots fly taildraggers !! and whilst i have you attention -a sign I saw on the panel of an old Waco biplane once. "Foolish is the person who attempts to rush the art of flying" said it all to me and I've never forgotten it. 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

We're still here!

I consider that I was fortunate to have to do my fiirst 20 hours in a Lightwing 582, as that was what the school flew at the time. They then moved to Jabiru, and my thoughts were along the lines of how easy they were to handle in comparison.

So, 10 years later when choosing what to build, I carefully weighed up all the arguments to finally decide on a tail dragger again. In my opinion, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages (actually, what disadvantages?) and have been perfectly happy with my BushCaddy R80. Visibility, including on the ground, is still excellent, and ground handling in a true STOL tailwheel aircraft is a breeze.

Long live big high lift wings!

When I was learning in a GR912, usually with Pylon500 in the right seat, I had an aquaintence express his horror that I was learning in a taildragger, 'why would I even want to get into one of those terrible machines'. He seemed genuinly terrified of them.

Never found out why, he'd never flown one but he's still prepared to run them down to anyone who'll listen and this is a supposedly very intelligent bloke. i_dunno

Tailwheel

I've always been interested in the the tailwheelers & have flown a few hours (only about 20) on a few types including a nice Chipmunk. They certainly make you a better pilot. Lately I've been thinking about getting checked out on a Lightwing but not sure if I'd do enough hours to be as confident as I usually am in a Jabiru. Always nice to see these machines around the place however.

Rgds

• 1 year later...
Guest watto

I am hoping to see a revitalisation of the taildragger over the next couple of years as there is demand for it but it is nott being fillled at the moment.

Some of our fleet, including one old tail dragger pilot. I don't have pictures of the Scout & Turbulent which are not flying - tucked up in a shed awaiting serious work, and the Whisky IV is still just blueprints.

Tricycle Sue

613831222_RansS7.jpg.20c7343217a59d43cbd74ed1615bbc29.jpg

Lightwing.jpg.703e9b6042c2eb065a4504ce4b0a588d.jpg

Karasport1.thumb.jpg.535454f9db400fd4bc86794b8466f278.jpg

There seems to be a resurgence, of people getting into tail wheel a/c, well at Boonah anyway.I guess, that has already been stated, it is getting harder to find instructors with a lot of experience in TW aircraft.Or flying schools that offer TW training.I remember the whole insurance thing with the CN-21 and CN-22 skyfoxes, when insurance became just about impossible to get.

Things must have changed a bit know though ?

• 2 years later...

love em...Just sold my 2 single seat tail draggers (thruster and supercat)and bought a tail dragging lightwing......sweet can,t weight to take a pax...

youll find most old shcool L.P a/c are conventional ,whilst these new H.P a/c are mostly trike gear? love my tail draggers

• Like 1

I love the tail dragged, that's why I built my Fisher, I can take off and land in a standard high school oval, in sand and all other surfaces, I have installed hydraulic brakes so stopping and turning is no problems, as long as you concentrate all the way through landing roll and take off, your all good.

• Agree 1