Another through Bolt gone

So. Our 170 was running rough, An investigation has discovered the stud on the fron cyliner base has sheared off flush with the cylinder flange.

This engine was our best chance at reaching the 1000 hour top end time limit.

Its done almost 800 hours. It had the through bolt/nut mods done as per jab AD.

Now the stud has broken... jabiru just told us they will need to change the stud to accomodate the new nuts better.. NOW THEY F@%KING TELL US.....

I have had a gutfull of being a testing for this manufacturer to get their sh!t together.

Have advised the owners to sell the jabs, I cant run a school with these machines any more.. Im done.

• Like 3

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*sigh*

The above statement is all you will get out of me, because this will go nowhere without the usual 085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

If this was a thread that I had the pleasure of moderating, this would go no further because you have made your dislike for this aircraft/engine quite clear several times.

In saying this, you are entitled to your opinion Merv, and have a right to get it off your chest, but in doing so sometimes makes it worse, as the Jab bashers start and it just goes on.

-Linda

• Like 3

*sigh*The above statement is all you will get out of me, because this will go nowhere without the usual 085_blah_blah.gif.5dd1f55e9e017c1ed039995789e61c55.gif

If this was a thread that I had the pleasure of moderating, this would go no further because you have made your dislike for this aircraft/engine quite clear several times.

In saying this, you are entitled to your opinion Merv, and have a right to get it off your chest, but in doing so sometimes makes it worse, as the Jab bashers start and it just goes on.

-Linda

Yes Linda I know. Im sorry about that. Perhaps if the 'bashing' gets loud enough then something may come of it. I cant send children up alone in these machines any more. I hold my breath for the entire time, I watch every takeoff waiting for the noise to stop. Its doing my head in hey..

• Like 2

Merv.

I can understand what you are saying, and I sympathize with the rotten luck you seem to be having with them.

I am sorry that you are "done" with them, and as you have said the aircraft is good....it is.

We are damn lucky to have a wonderful, safe aircraft, that has never given us any issues and is maintained by someone who is very particular about how it runs.

And the bagging bit? It's a Jabiru, it has to create some sort of bashing, the name itself is like a magnet.

Those who do it know who they are, and with threads that start off with "another through bolt gone" usually brings them in.

-Linda

• Like 2

Good it was discovered on the ground motz.

I Would really like to see jabiru offer a rotax from factory, and i would love to see them continue on manufacturing airframes, especially as the are an Australian company.

We are damn lucky to have a wonderful, safe aircraft, that has never given us any issues and is maintained by someone who is very particular about how it runs.

Im very glad you have had a good run with your engine. I know there are "some" that make TBO etc, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

I had about 2.5 years of trouble free operation from multiple Jabs in a tough training environment, somewhere in the order of 2000-2500 hours being flown on various Jab types. And they never missed a beat and were highly maintained. Then, suddenly things changed.

My concerns are for the safety of ALL jabiru operators, thats you included. Call it bashing if you like, and to a degree it often is, but I have your best interests at heart.

All our aircraft are also maintained by someone who is particular about how they run. He owns 2 of them ;)

• Like 3

My concerns are for the safety of ALL jabiru operators, thats you included. Call it bashing if you like, and to a degree it often is, but I have your best interests at heart.

All our aircraft are also maintained by someone who is particular about how they run. He owns 2 of them ;)

And I thank you for your concern, it is appreciated, and I am glad you have someone one does own and maintain them, because there is alot out there who think they do know them, but in actual fact have no idea how to look after them...we have seen the evidence.

Keep smiling Merv. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

-Linda

• Like 3

Look after the engine better?

I have to say I'm staggered by this off the cuff comment......I'm hoping it was tongue in cheek. "Looking after an engine better" is not going to stop failures due to inherent design problems.

• Like 6

I have to say I'm staggered by this off the cuff comment......I'm hoping it was tongue in cheek. "Looking after an engine better" is not going to stop failures due to inherent design problems.

My Mate Simon will be very interested in this thread, he has a Savannah with a Jabbie in it. . . . .he has had no severe problems in 3 yrs of operation, since building the kit. . . other than some minor issues with overheating.

Friend Roger the Dodger operates a Jabiru, strangely enough with a jabbie engine as well,. . . he's been all over most of Europe including right down to Greece with no real problems either, but I shall grill them both this weekend, as we'lll all be under 6ft of snow if the wx forecast is to be believed and there isn't likely to be much aviating. So itt'l be hangar yarns in the clubhouse instead.

Oh and,. . . . YES I fully understand that using an aeroplane in a training environment is a lot different from the work expected from a private pilot's mount.

Phil

( by the way. . . ex vk3nay / zau / daz / vk4yc / now G4ohk )

Im very glad you have had a good run with your engine. I know there are "some" that make TBO etc, but they are the exception rather than the rule.........

That's not a realistic definition of a TBO though, is it ?

Surely the TBO for any engine should be the number of hours at which a highish percentage are still running correctly (say 80%) not a time that only a minority get to. I know that in reality the TBO is "recommended" by the manufacturer, so in fact it's no more than an educated guess......

You're right Gentreau, well designed and well built engines can achieve surprisingly even life cycles, and in fact in the heavy truck industry most operators know the current life cycle of say the 550 hp Cummins, Detroit and Cat engines.

There could be a very heavy price to pay for denial here.

I'm staggered at the quality of spelling and grammar I see on this forum, but hell, who cares? I posted a question rather than made a statement. Several LAME's have told me most Jabiru engines fail because they are abused or (as in the case of circlips) they are not put together properly. The best example of abuse is revving the guts out of a cold engine, during start up or after a long glide (practice forced landing) and usually done by students. I own a Jabiru and if the option to have a Rotax engine was there, I would have gone that way without hesitation. If my engine dies on the next flight, I will be very annoyed but I won't suddenly start raving on how Jabiru and their engines are utter crap. If I really believed that I would not fly in a plane with a Jabiru engine. Now, must eat...

73's VK5KKS

I've flown them in 42 degrees but you have to climb at higher airspeeds. Nev

Nev ,

Jabiru recommend climbing out at 80 knots with the 4 cyl engine to improve cooling , however

many pilot/owners still appear to disregard this . I often wonder about hire aircraft and student pilots , do they really care ?

Bob

Look after the engine better?

Keep your uselessness to yourself.

We've had this plane since brand new, trained our students and instructors to look after it, had it maintained by a very reputable military engineer and sought advise from the manufacturer with every question regarding maintenance.

They fail mate. You just keep on pretending yours won't because you "look after it better". Don't expect us to give a sh!t when ya end up in a ditch.

Planes

• Like 2

Slightly concerned that Jabiru say climb out at 80kts, my CH701 does that at top speed, I have put large air ducts on in the hope of alleviating/ forestalling the overheating problem (Assuming I ever actually finish & fly it!)