Accident: Jacobs Well - blue Foxbat

Guest Maj Millard
100 plus hours and no problems..... Don't like the single fuel filter on the floor behind the passengers seat though. Need to be outside the A/C with a torch to see it properly.I will be fitting filters up high under the isolation valves for each tank. Easier to see and can swap to the other tank if blocked. It will also be easy to replace.

I will be fitting a pressure gauge and flow meter soon. Very interested to see what the pressure is.

Obviously with a gravity fed system, the vents are important. Any restriction there will give problems.

A fuel pressure gauge is a very valuable gauge on the panel for sure. Just be aware however of the 912 fuel pressure range, which only requires around 5.8 bar as a maximum, otherwise it is possible to cause problems at the carbs. Generally the standard mechanical engine pump is more than sufficient, with an electrical back up for takeoff and approach use. In all cases refer to the Rotax service instructions and maintenance manuals.................Maj...

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fuel pressure gauge is a very valuable gauge on the panel for sure. Just be aware however of the 912 fuel pressure range, which only requires around 5.8 bar as a maximum, otherwise it is possible to cause problems at the carbs. Generally the standard mechanical engine pump is more than sufficient, with an electrical back up for takeoff and approach use. In all cases refer to the Rotax service instructions and maintenance manuals.................Maj...

Maj I think that fuel pressure should be 5.8 PSI Maximum............ Mick (flyhi)

I will have an electronic sensor (dynon) connected to the skyview panel. I have also purchaed a 0-15 psi gauge to fit temp to connfirm the electronic readout.

Guest Maj Millard
Maj I think that fuel pressure should be 5.8 PSI Maximum............ Mick (flyhi)

Hi Mick, your correct....book says....nominal pressure of mechanical fuel pump..... .. 0.3 bar. (4.4 psi)

Tolerated fuel pressure range.............................max 0.4 bar. (5.8 psi)

Min 0.15 bar (2.2 psi)

Cheers ..................Maj...

• 2 weeks later...
100 plus hours and no problems..... Don't like the single fuel filter on the floor behind the passengers seat though. Need to be outside the A/C with a torch to see it properly.I will be fitting filters up high under the isolation valves for each tank. Easier to see and can swap to the other tank if blocked. It will also be easy to replace.

I will be fitting a pressure gauge and flow meter soon. Very interested to see what the pressure is.

Obviously with a gravity fed system, the vents are important. Any restriction there will give problems.

A word of caution - under Australian regulations, any change to an LSA (eg the A22LS Foxbat) requires a factory Letter Of Approval, certainly for changes such as those described above. This approval cannot be given by a Part 21 engineer (previously CAR35) or any other individual or organisation, unless the manufacturer is out of business.

Similarly, a Type Certified aircraft (eg the A22L Foxbat) can only be modified with the approval of a Part 21 engineer or by an amendment to the Type Certificate/Type Data Sheet for that aircraft type.

These requirements are in place primarily for the protection of the pilots/passengers in these aircraft. While I accept that no manufacturer is perfect, I have no other reports of engine stoppages in the Foxbat due directly to a problem with the fuel system itself, either in Australia or other countries. Running out of fuel or turning off fuel taps - yes. Carburettor icing - yes. Very rarely really dirty fuel - yes.

I have heard several speculations about the cause of the engine stoppage in this aircraft. I will not/cannot comment on any of them and it may never truly be agreed and accepted.

PS - you can see the fuel filter in the A22LS Foxbat from at least three angles - through the glazed side of the aircraft (if it has glazed sides), through the gap between the passenger & pilot seats, and, as recommended for the best view, by lifting the passenger seat up. Unless the fuel filter has been moved.....