Site Update - New Likes System (Removed)

Admin

Please note that this site enhancement has been removed

Hi All

As you may know I am working on a complete site update that is costing thousands of dollars with many new features but will not be released till it is completed...still several months away. However as I buy new features that will be a part of the update that I feel you would like to make use of now instead of waiting, I have been adding them to this current site.

Another one of the new features that the site update is going to have is a new 'Likes' System and I have just now installed it here for you to use and hopefully like it (hopefully because they do cost money). It is installed in its default standard so any feedback that I can apply to it in the upcoming site update is greatly appreciated.

So...about the NEW Likes System:

On the right of posts where the "Like" link use to be there is now a selection of "Likes", "Neutral" and "Dislikes" that you can choose from...They are always visible however there is an option in the settings to not show them unless you place your mouse in the post to make them visible, if that is your choice on how you would like them displayed then please let me know:

b.png.decd0eeeef459c1d985e9b1128ae988e.png

The result of users liking etc your post, the totals are displayed where the number of likes were before:

c.png.1a1c8fe25f679a7bf01f36a81a608c0f.png

Clicking on the "List" link in that bar will open a popup displaying more information about the likes:

e.png.7508aa8238e5597e38142ade110cded1.png

You will also see on the left of this post at the bottom of the details of the user that made a post, the totals of Likes, Neutral and Dislikes the user has been awarded plus a bar that displays from green (left) to red (right) of the totals (an all green bar shows no negatives)

2.jpg.a0e699fb01d19f70f5350a0e129bb778.jpg

You will also notice throughout the site the users Likes totals are displayed...a user's Profile Page also displays the numbers of all the different types of Likes the user has received for their posts.

h.png.af40a3ff14041777a7c4d5aba8944466.png

The new Likes System is also fully integrated with the "Alerts" and "Conversation" Systems as well.

g.png.33226daad72b743a0440b20c3827fce4.png

You can also see your total list of Likes received and Likes you have given in your site settings:

1.jpg.950f740bbd93a49cf0561eaa619f0fa1.jpg

If a post receives 5 Dislikes, the post is automatically soft hidden as well. The user who made that post can then see why the post is not adding value to the site and all other users.

I hope you like it and I am sure it will help to make posts far more informative and helpful thus bringing a great degree of integrity and fun to the site for all.

More extra features that will become a part of the full site update are coming soon and please, as I said, this is implemented in its default standard so it can be altered and improved based on your feedback

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love it Ian,

This will enhance the trend of self moderation and hopefully modify any trolling tendencies as they appear. A sort of member approval system. So I had better be careful or Tubz will zot me. Worse still Locksie the sweetpea might even zot me more ... hmmm ..., come to think of it, I can now zot Locksie ... LOL.

BTW, I am delighted to see advertising appearing on this site, it should be very effective for the advertisers and you will finally generate some revenue to fund site development. I congratulate you.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Too late, First post I saw was my own and I decided to 'like" it and get the $5.00 but your system prevented me from entering a comment, so I had to give it to myself for free on the grounds that I believed I had made best effort to click on "like" as I claimed.

• Haha 1

Is there an appeals avenue?

Yep, firstly you have to lodge an application with the appropriate fee being paid and then start a Private Conversation with me

So Gold members can do what they like?, unscaythed.

It is the Gold Members that allow for these great things so we all owe a great deal of thanks to those that appreciate the site and become Gold Members

Guest Andys@coffs

Ian

The 5 dislike thing.........If I post and I get 20 likes and 5 dislikes will it still become a hidden post? or is that just 5 dislikes and nobody liking what you said...... I worry for my good mate Tubs who can be controversial and brings out polar views in people 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif cant see it happening to anything I post ...of course....

IanThe 5 dislike thing.........If I post and I get 20 likes and 5 dislikes will it still become a hidden post? or is that just 5 dislikes and nobody liking what you said...... I worry for my good mate Tubs who can be controversial and brings out polar views in people 075_amazon.gif.0882093f126abdba732f442cccc04585.gif cant see it happening to anything I post ...of course....

I will look into it

Ian.I want something inbetween. Is that doable?

-Linda

Linda, I was only joking about it being a positive LIKE

Anyway, It is easily doable although we need to keep the number of options to a usable amount witho0ut going overboard and any option can be made either "Like", "Neutral" or "Dislike". I use the FamFamFam Silk Icon set:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/icons/readme.html

However I can set any icons, even animated ones, to any specific Like but they should be kept fairly small in size.

The point is I am open to suggestions on what the variety of Likes you want, whether they be positive, neutral or negative and what icons you want to use for each one. The current installation is the default settings so let me know how you want any/all to be changed as soon as possible as it becomes harder down the track

In all seriousness, I can see problems subjecting contributors to grading and "bitch slaps" from spectators who don't contribute.

A lot of people struggle to write a post, overcoming shyness, embarrassment at their spelling etc. but nevertheless write a good post, of use to many others.

With just the "likes" system they would get a pleasant surprise and positive encouragement to write more and the website came alive.

Once you start subjecting these people to "bitch slaps" and dislikes etc. the contributions are going to dry up, and they will withdraw to become spectators, possibly administering a few bitch slaps of their own.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Other options I can do with this new system is:

1. Have a message display to a user across the top of the site based on a criteria related to the Likes System eg. when a user has received say 10 "Funny" likes, they get a meaage across the top of the screen saying "Thanks for bringing some fun to the site" or any like to any criteria

2. Only make some like specific to certain forums eg. likes of "Great Deal" (positive), "Average Deal" (neutral) and "Rip Off" (negative) used only in the Classifieds Forum

3. Likes that are available only in the first post of a thread eg. "Great Topic" (positive) and "Not Another One" (negative)

4. Likes that are only available to be selected by users in different usergroups eg. Standard Registered User or Gold Member User (extra likes) etc

It is a very powerful system and can be tailored to suit many different user needs...you just need to give feedback on what you want

Ian,

May I suggest you remove the 'spelling' dislike. I think that is possibly discriminatory against those whose spelling is perhaps not a strong point. I think the 'spelling' dislike is counter productive.

I think perhaps one dislike type is good and the rest should be positive reinforcement. 'Dislike' and 'don't agree' are OK they just express a reasonable opinion, but anything that denigrates the person is counter productive I think.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

In all seriousness, I can see problems subjecting contributors to grading and "bitch slaps" from spectators who don't contribute.A lot of people struggle to write a post, overcoming shyness, embarrassment at their spelling etc. but nevertheless write a good post, of use to many others.

With just the "likes" system they would get a pleasant surprise and positive encouragement to write more and the website came alive.

Once you start subjecting these people to "bitch slaps" and dislikes etc. the contributions are going to dry up, and they will withdraw to become spectators, possibly administering a few bitch slaps of their own.

I was waiting for the first person to bring that up...there are pros and cons of having a negative Like...on one hand how does a user know to stop posting crap, posts that are judged by his peers as such, compared to a negative Like being abused by someone that you just may not get along with...the answer, the Likes are not 1 to 1, I would think they are a collective from the community as a whole but most importantly is the terms that are used. A negative like could just use a simple term like "I disagree" instead of being a derogatory term of say "Absolute Crap"...it all comes down to the terms in my opinion and the terms are what I am asking you to define

As David Isaac said...it is a system that helps the site to self moderate whilst giving praise to those that help each other and that is what we try to achieve with the site...It is also hoped that this system could assist with post integrity, change "debates" to "discussion"

Ian,May I suggest you remove the 'spelling' dislike. I think that is possibly discriminatory against those whose spelling is perhaps not a strong point. I think the 'spelling' dislike is counter productive.

I think perhaps one dislike type is good and the rest should be positive reinforcement. 'Dislike' and 'don't agree' are OK they just express a reasonable opinion, but anything that denigrates the person is counter productive I think.

I reckon the spelling icon is going to get a real flogging. We can start with how many peeps spell Gauge - incorrectly. And various other common words.

• Agree 1