Site Update - New Likes System (Removed)

Admin

Ian,May I suggest you remove the 'spelling' dislike. I think that is possibly discriminatory against those whose spelling is perhaps not a strong point. I think the 'spelling' dislike is counter productive.

I think perhaps one dislike type is good and the rest should be positive reinforcement. 'Dislike' and 'don't agree' are OK they just express a reasonable opinion, but anything that denigrates the person is counter productive I think.

Good point David...as I said it has been installed in its default settings so that is one that I can remove/replace

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps add a dislike for "textspeak" rather than spelling.

I'm sure those that have been to school in the last 30 years have learned to type full words on a full keyboard. Those of us past that would be fully aware of good communication skills with regard to the written word and grammar. We do not have any real need for the "140 character style" shorthand that some may use.

Would it be possible for the soft hide to be based on the ratio of likes to dislikes? (ie a 4 or 5:1 ratio)

• Agree 1

Couldn't neutral be a no "response at" all.? Nev

Nev, are you saying to have say several positive likes and say just 1 negative like and no neutral likes?

This is the current default Likes that the system created when installed:

1.jpg.63617e1b7129b7dd5bb13ef305c0a547.jpg

There are only 2 neutral ones that are Disagree and Optimistic...would neutral likes be just comments as opposed to anything else? You could make "Nice" as a neutral comment etc. A negative Like could be "Dangerous"!

Sorry, my bad, I meant the 'Dislike'. Why is that positive ?

As I said, many times, they are the defaults that the system created when it installed and also why I am asking for user input into what the options should be and as soon as possible. The Dislike for us should perhaps be neutral or may be not even included in the end.

The spelling has been brought by many users many times.

I have just temporarily disabled 2 of them and renamed one to Dangerous however the list has to be sorted out asap so users can start using it properly without having to make too many changes in the database...I had to enable it to give you a try first though:

1.jpg.0ee048d85a1fd5e5fc52d422aad10f27.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Ian, I don't like the idea of having to go to the 'list' to see who posted the likes/dislikes. I try to eliminate steps where I can rather than add them, and you've added one here. Why not leave the names there beside the 'rewards' as there appears there would be the room to do so..it's nice to see the responders name right there...............................................Maj...

Personally, I think that new list is good.

It remains to be seen how often Winner, Informative, Friendly and Creative actually get used......

Is it possible Ian, to include the positive/neutral/negative effect of the icon in the tooltip text which shows when you hover the mouse ?

Ian, I don't like the idea of having to go to the 'list' to see who posted the likes/dislikes. I try to eliminate steps where I can rather than add them, and you've added one here. Why not leave the names there beside the 'rewards' as there appears there would be the room to do so..it's nice to see the responders name right there...............................................Maj...

Or could the list be made visible when you hover over the 'List' link ?

And another :)

I use a notebook, so my browser is always maximised. When I hover over the last icon, the tip text extends off the screen to the right.

Would it perhaps be better to left justify the icons in the icon bar ?

No, no room for mobile users...just click the link if you would like to know the result

Personally, I think that new list is good.It remains to be seen how often Winner, Informative, Friendly and Creative actually get used......

Is it possible Ian, to include the positive/neutral/negative effect of the icon in the tooltip text which shows when you hover the mouse ?

No, the tooltip displays the name of the Like...adding an indicator of it being pos, neut or neg will add to the real estate needed to display them in other areas however I will not completely rule it out at this stage...will review what can be done in due course

Another thought.I see that the green/red bar shows the ratings total on hover, could you also make it clickable with a link direct to the ratings list ?

Will require a new Help page created in the Help menu (like the "Trophies" page). To do this and incorporate it into menus etc will require me to do some coding myself which I will do for the site update

And another :)I use a notebook, so my browser is always maximised. When I hover over the last icon, the tip text extends off the screen to the right.

Would it perhaps be better to left justify the icons in the icon bar ?

A laptop has nothing to do with it as it even does it on my PC...It is generic so any changes to it would have to be coded by me which has impacts when steering away from the defaults when doing any site updates. I will give that some consideration with the site update

Bring back the spelling one!Signed 'dissapointed' from Bulli. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Seeing spelling has been brought up by many users over the years with some even starting a thread about it, I will bring it back as a notice i.e. a neutral like, so it simply alerts the user that other users are having trouble with the spelling in their posts. I have even sent PMs to users when I get overwhelmed by the same mistake in every one of their posts like "teh" instead of "the"...it is just habit and using things like iPads but if you are alerted to it several times it could help to make users more conscious of what they may be doing unknowingly

• Like 1
  • Caution 1