AUTO PIlot

emaroo

Hi

I will be purchasing a J230 and I was wondering if anyone can help me with the possibility of adding autopilot. Where can they be purchased and fitted, what are they worth,are they reliable. Iam a new pilot but will be flying many hours / year as we will be using it for business.

I originally thought it would be over kill but the more people I talk to the now more convinced it could be a worth while option . Appreciate any feed back.

icon14.gif

Cheers Rick

Hi Rick

Firstly, welcome to the forums

I believe the generally accepted autopilot for recreational aircraft is the Trutrak http://www.trutrakflightsystems.com

I have the 11VS model installed in my CTsw and find it great when you are travelling those long legs but the thing the autopilot is there for only when you want to use it. The other good thing with an autopilot is that if you ever accidentally find yourself in cloud, and hopefully you never will, you just turn it on to keep you straight and level or adjust the alt descent to say 500ft a minute and it helps to keep you safe in getting out of a dangerous situation.

The price of the Trutrak changes to to the US dollar but the shop here just got a 11VS model for a Tecnam owner for about $5,500 and it is being fitted at Stawall Aviation. Dave (Westcoast here in the forums) has just fitted one to his CT as well and I think he got his local LAME to do it.

Hope this helps

Guest Andys@coffs

Rick

I chose the Trio Avionics www.trioavionics.com Autopilot and alt hold modules for my J230. It works well and there is an Australian Agent in Adelaide.

I fitted them myself without any issues, however have in a previous life worked as a RAAF Radio tech, however IMHO it wasnt difficult. The Trio AP does require access to a GPS that is capable of outputing NMEA protocol messages and as such flies a GPS route rather than a fixed heading. Although, flying a constant track is also supported if you want to do that, which reverts to a constant heading if the GPS goes off line for what ever reason.

Im using a Garmin 295 without any issue and feel that if your GPS is 5 yrs or younger there is a very good chance it'll support the NMEA protocol.

As I've offered to others, your welcome to drop in and have a look if you can get yourself to Gawler.

Regards

Andy

Guest brentc

Trutrak appear to have a very flash new range of autopilots on their page. I like the idea of the Artificial Horizon looking one with Autopilot and GPS heading based display on it. It doubles up as a solid state gyro AH, turn coordinator and DG all in one, but without pitch information. Great for if things go horribly wrong near the cloud. I just purchased the TruTrak pictorial turn and bank coorinator. It's very basic looking, however it is as good as an AH when it comes to keeping wings level and it has a skid-ball. It powers up in 4 seconds and should go well as an electric AH backup for my vacuum AH. It should be here this week so I'll post a pic when it's fitted.

Guest J430

If it is factory built LSA regs or whatever they are now, can you actually fit one legally???

Seems you can not change many other things and worth considering.

Personally I would love one but it takes the flying out of flying:laugh:

J

Guest Andys@coffs

J

If there was only flying in flying then we'd be Ok, but somehow you have to fit map reading, loging and all those other long distance annoyances in as well which means you must temporarily bring your eyes back inside the cabin.

I dont know about your jabby, but mine is netrally to negatively stable and as soon as I take my hand of the controls it'll roll off one way or the other within 10-15 seconds or so. Its not always the same way and not always at the same rate. As such I dont believe its rigging related. The AP solves this problem and allows me to comfortably do those inflight things that require 2 hands, 2 eyes and no control stick.

The point you make to Emaroo about LSA (24 registered) is quite valid and ended up being the reason I specifically went looking for a low time second hand Factory assist 19 registered aircraft. Emaroo if your aircraft will end up with a registration that starts with 24 then the type of Autopilot you choose will be limited to those that Jabiru support in an LSA AIrcraft... which could be none.

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
Guest AndyS

Jabiru auto pilot

I am about to build a J430 and I would like to include an auto pilot. I believe that I can put the servo for the ailerons behind the front seats but I am unsure where the servo for the elevator would be placed. Any advice on this placement would be appreciated.

Dynon setups have AP incorperated and just needs servos

Jabiru have done some installs, one goes just behind your elbow, at back of centre console. Other goes behind the rear curtain with cable to elevator

Couple of guys in West Vic and SA have installed a few

I thought that an auto pilot was of little use until I started long distance flying. Went to WA from Qld...purchased one ASAP on return!

Peronally think two axis is sufficient; have a TruTrac and Trio Avionics in different aircraft. Have not heard much on Dynon but would seem a less costly way to go if you have a (Dynon) glass panal(s).

Should be no problems with fitting to LSA Jab 230 as the factory fits/or approves auto pilots. If one they use there should be no problem for them to approve it as they have the authorty to do so. I would talk to them.

My understanding of LSA regs is they do not have to fit it, but must approve the fitting.

Guest ozzie

i don't know how these new ones are but i found that the servos added a fair bit of resistance to the controls. 3 of aeropelicans twin otters had AP and one did not. the one without was a lot lighter on the column and was easier to toss around.

Im fairly sure Dynon is cheaper even if you DONT have one of thier panels.

ie you get a free EFIS if you go thier way for an AP.

Weight, servos are around 2 to 3 lb each

They do add some resistance but not too serious, some other brands totally disconnect when not being used.

I worked to remove all the inbuilt resitance in Jabiru cables and there was then lighter controls even with AP servo hooked up.

Hi

I have a factory installed TruTrak IIG two axis in my 230SP. It works great and well worth the investment. It will accept info from either GPS units or manual and the alt hold works very well. The only problem I had was the throttle had a tendency to creep which caused the auto pilot to try to maintain alt as the airpseed/altitude varied. That problem went away with about a 1/8 turn on the friction block nut.

The elev servo is located behind the compartment removable rear panel.

I just completed a 2700nm+ flight and the AP earned it's keep. I love to 'fly' the Jab myself and the plane trims out for good hands off cruising, but the AP makes the long flite legs more comfortable, especially when the fuel tanks have a greater capacity the mine. It makes using the amenities easier -two hands are better than 1!

When not in use, the servos don't seem put any resistance in the controls.

Neptune

N709J

1058372721_TheOffice.thumb.jpg.05e696da141f1d867790925a169d27c8.jpg

Not to forget the MGL stuff - Odyssey and other EFIS panels all feature autopilot outputs.

I had a Trio in my J200. All worked like it was supposed to but I didn't really fly enough long legs to justify it.

Wot? Justify? In a toy aeroplane? Wash my mouth ......

IB

Dynon Auto

I have had a dynon system running in my J170 for the last 6 months. Mine is jabiru factory approved which required engineering drawings and qualified installer. This cost a bit more but is worth it when it comes to resale / legalities / insurance etc. Very happy with the dynon unit which is driven by a D10A and liked to the garmin 296. Talk to Jabiru about it first, they were most helpful working out what i needed to do.

• 10 years later...

Hi, the cost of the Dynon Servos in Australia is under 1200 AUD each and the control panel is under 1000 AUD and it is compatible with the the Dynon Skyview Packages in the Jabiru. So why is Jabiru charging 8,500 AUD for Dynon 2 axis autopilot, when the cost of upgrading it yourself is likely to be under 3,500 AUD. I am sure I am missing something. Please could someone enlighten me. Thanks 🙂

I wouldnt recommend the Dynon autopilot that was fitted to my J230D. the servos are actually Long NEMA 23 Stepper motors with a 4:1 reduction gearbox, which makes the controls  heavy when the autopilot is not in use.

For the install into the Jabiru there is aplate in the back glassed in just behind the header tank.

and there is a little adaptor plate that goes onto the roll drive plate behind the stick. . 

Happy to sell it. it's integrated into the DYnon EFIS though, but I want to change that anyway.