Gazelle missing at Ycab

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

The Dornia stays high overhead and directs the search craft below....sort of like an awacs that the military use. He also monitors all communications and beacon/mobile phone signals.........................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Can someone please explain how this SAR works.... why the search aircraft repeats the same circuit constantly without moving about?

I believe (but not certain) that the Dornier is the coordinating aircraft. That's why it's doing orbits at 25,000 feet.

From my many hours of flying Orions on Search and Rescue missions I cannot understand why the Dornier is sitting at 25,000ft looking for a beacon.

IF there was a beacon it would of been heard by either the satellite or aircraft overflying the area.

An area of proability has to be determined based on fuel on departure and details of flight with the operator.

A visual search by low flying aircraft and public reports will find the location.

I assume the pilot had a PLB and IF this has not been activated then things are not looking too good.

EDIT: Just read Ross's message above and understand why the Dornier is at flight levels.

• Like 1

This (why the search aircraft is going in circles up high) was discussed at length on the thread "Aircraft Missing from Monto" regarding a very similar search by the Dornier not far from this site. From memory someone with good knowledge explained the whole procedure.

Sue

• Informative 1

Lets not get to concerned at this stage, a Gazelle is a type of aircraft that is very survivable in a crash.The fly slow & crash relatively slowly.The cockpit structure is well built IRT a impact.Along as there isnt a major airframe failure in the air, there is a good chance of survival.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Everyone must be very tight lipped, none of the News Services appear to have reported on this event

Was just thinking that myself Cosmick. With all the activity I would of thought the News outifits would of been onto it.

Guest Maj Millard

They are a little slow on Sundays....haven't you noticed how thin the Monday paper is ??..........................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Well I can see why it's taking a while to find it...as good as comoflage...................................................Maj...ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif