Gazelle missing at Ycab

Who cares how old she is as long as she hopefully can return home to her loved ones that is all that matters to me.She has family that want her home.

I don''t know who she is and I want her home alive and well.

Alf

Well said mate.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry Alf, you are very right, I hope she gets home tomorrow too. I guess I am just always amazed at how quick the media are to publish the incorrect "facts" in the abscence of real facts to fill the column.

I am sorry Alf, you are very right, I hope she gets home tomorrow too. I guess I am just always amazed at how quick the media are to publish the incorrect "facts" in the abscence of real facts to fill the column.

Hey Rankamateur,

Wasn't in no way having a go at anyone on here in any way shape or form, was just my thoughts for this poor woman and her family, she has loved ones who will be beside themselves at the moment thats is all.

As for the media, sorry don't give 2 hoots about them, they are the cause of many bad things happening in the world with there crap reporting on many issues let alone aviation.

Alf

• Agree 2

Guest Error404

As long as a 10 year old doesnt go missing next!

Heres hoping for good news. as stated they do go slow so you never know.

If I had an engine failure, I would be turning on my ELB before making the forced landing. I would think everybody does that. One may not be in a position to turn on the ELB (or even find it) after they have got onto the ground. Nothing on my local news channels here.

If I had an engine failure, I would be turning on my ELB before making the forced landing. I would think everybody does that. One may not be in a position to turn on the ELB (or even find it) after they have got onto the ground. Nothing on my local news channels here.

When you have an engine failure you are too busy flying the plane to mess with a ELB.

• Agree 1

Don't be too sure Jab.

I had a life experience yesterday.

My wife was cruising on the Princes Highway, when, beyond belief a car drove out of a side road straight through a give way sign and on to our lane. She flicked the car sideways instantly (had been a race driver) and that prevented us from clipping the other vehicle and rolling or diverting into trees, She rolled to a stop in shock, the other driver's reaction was just to keep driving.

If we arrived half a second later the other driver probably would have killed me. If we arrived a second later we would have killed the other driver.

I thought I was very calm, reassured my wife, but a few minutes later realised I couldn't remember if the driver was male or female or what make or model the other car was, only a "small grey car"

I've found historically my emergency response has varied considerably incident to incident from lightning fast reaction to sitting there staring to actually incorrectly operating controls - just depends on how alert I am in the lead up and how my mind reacts to the "believability" that something is wrong. Not activating an ELB when there are other major issues, I can understand; you would never forget normally, but......

Hope she's just down in the pine tress somewhere and walking out.

• Agree 2

When my fan stopped it was aviate first landing area confirmed second getting the aircraft and my passenger down and on the ground safely third the last thing on ones mind is to turn on the ELB

• Agree 2

I wonder if the use of a Spot Tracker would assist the searchers? I and many others use one for paragliding and we are able to monitor each others location in real time. They aren't that expensive to own or operate. It will certainly be an essential piece of equipment in my Jab UL 450 when I start travelling around. Regards, Laurie.

http://highcloud.net/spot/

just click on the word SPOT on the line of any name and you'll see what I'm getting at.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

I just heard on 123.100 that it was all over they found the aircraft south of where they were searching....that is all that has been said.....I dont think that the pilot survived as there was a plb on board and it hadnt been activated. As soon as I hear something i will post it. I hope for a good outcome...I am monitoring all airband and local police freq but haven't heard anything yet

Missing ultralight plane found north of Brisbane

February 04, 20138:11AM

SEARCHERS have found an ultralight plane which vanished from radar just 70km north of Brisbane yesterday.

Grave fears are held for the 50-year-old woman after her plane signal dropped off the radar over the Glass House Mountains about 9.30am Sunday.

Ground and aerial search crews, involving six helicopters and a fixed-wing aircraft, swept the area yesterday but found no sign of the pilot or the green-coloured aircraft.

Fourteen aircraft will be involved in the search on Monday.

Australian Maritime Safety Authority spokesman Mal Larsen said a team was dispatched at first light.

“After attempts failed last night the search resumed this morning, 12 helicopters, one six-winged aircraft and police on foot have begun the search,” he said.

“Because of the thick bushland helicopters are the more effective search vehicle."

He said the search area for the day had been mapped out in the hopes of finding the accredited pilot and her green ultra-light aircraft.

“It is narrowed to 108 square nautical miles, which is roughly 220 km, in the area north-west of Caboolture,” he said.

“The search area has been narrowed to the likely area according the last known radar sighting.”

Careflight Rescue Helicopter crewman Ryan Purchase told the ABC the search area covers some very difficult terrain.

"The radar can pinpoint where she lost contact," he said.

"The terrain we were flying over was dense bushland, pine plantations around the western side of the Sunshine Coast."

A police media spokeswoman said the woman was believed to only be carrying enough fuel for 150 minutes of flying.

No distress signal had been activated yesterday.

Police are investigating a report from a woman in the nearby town of Neurum who said she saw a plane flying low over the ground.

They have been unable to confirm any sightings at this stage.

- reporting by Jacinda Tutty, Kris Crane and AAP

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/search-to-resume-for-missing-pilot-on-solo-flight-over-glass-house-mountains/story-e6freoof-1226568211157

“After attempts failed last night the search resumed this morning, 12 helicopters, one six-winged aircraft and police...

Obviously not a reporter with any aviation knowledge or hasn't proof read the article

• Agree 1

Another accident highlighting the importance of only flying over country you can land in. Makes you wonder whats being taught.

David, we dont know yet if the aircraft is in bush. When the aircraft is found and the reason for it being there is known then you may be able to make this statement.

I agree that it`s not correct to be making any asumptions about this search at this stage but I think that David has just pointed out that it`s safer to fly over areas where an emergency landing can be carried out. A fact that should be pointed out at every opportunity.

Frank.

It is a valid point, and in any other context would be welcomed. But lets find her first , the facts of the accident will come to light and we can then learn from them. But at this stage we dont know diddly and i think some restraint and respect should be afforded the pilot and her family and friends. There are countless scenarios and possibilities that any one of us could "speculate'. I think dave is a young bloke and to date I have not read a bad post from him, so I think maybe he just didn't think his original post through before hitting post.

Lets get her home, one way or the other, before we start saying where she should or shouldn't have been.

Cheers

• Agree 3

Courier mail but no status on pilot

Missing ultralight plane found north of Brisbane

SEARCHERS have found an ultralight plane which vanished from radar just 70km north of Brisbane yesterday.

Police have confirmed the Skyfox Gazelle has been found in bushland at Glass House Mountains.

The missing Skyfox gazelle has been located just north of Beerburrum on Woodford Road at Glasshouse Mountains.

Vegetation in the area was extremely dense, and explains why the aircraft was not found soone,r Caboolture Aero Club president John Dawson said.

He said the thoughts of the Caboolture Aero Club members were with the pilot and her family.

"Didn't know the lady, I know she was a part owner in aircraft which was a Skyfox Gazelle built in Caloundra," he said.

"I spoke to people yesterday who said she was most competent at flying; the lady was in a syndicate ownership and the plane was operated by the flying school."