Gazelle missing at Ycab

well the tone of the reporting, if you read the whole story, is refreshing - they seem to be going out of their way to point out that the pilot was known to be competent and skilled, and not questioning the inherent safety of the activity (at least yet). Usually these things immediately dive into all sorts of inappropriate speculations and judgement. A few eyewitness statements to the effect of "engine sputtering".... all parts still firmly crossed for a good outcome.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone here at Recreational Flying commiserates the loss of one of our fellow recreational aviators...our thoughts go out to the pilot's family and friends.

• Agree 11

Condolences to the family.

I hope a structural failure (if any) and / or engine failure can be ruled out early.

Would be nice to see ATSB look at this one then we WOULD see a prelim report within 30 days. IF not then we will probably never know.

• Agree 3

Condolences to the family.I hope a structural failure (if any) and / or engine failure can be ruled out early.

Would be nice to see ATSB look at this one then we WOULD see a prelim report within 30 days. IF not then we will probably never know.

There is a report from a witness on the ground who saw a low flying plane with the engine making spluttering noises.

sadly most untrained witnesses see a low flying aircraft, its always on fire, or has a sputtering engine.

as for the SPOT, i have one, and its comforting knowing its leaving a breadcrumb trail wherever im flying, so even if i dont activate the SOS function, the SAR services already have a small search area and can pretty accurately predict where i should be. sadly, they are not CASA approved.

My condolences to all involved.

Some of the quotes used in the media came from the QPS facebook page. The quoted "spluttering, low flying" report was of a blue plane at Woodford. Others noted low flying planes of varying colours at Dalby, Warana, Neurum & Woodford airstrip; although someone who seemed to know, said she was tracking North-East from Wamuran to Beerburrum. People were getting helicopters mixed up with fixed wing aircraft. Sad that people don't know their geography, colours or basic aircraft types, and end up in the media worrying the public, family & friends. It is too easy for people to text before thinking.

My sympathies to family & friends. I really hope we can find out what happened.

Sue

• Agree 2

sadly most untrained witnesses see a low flying aircraft, its always on fire, or has a sputtering engine.as for the SPOT, i have one, and its comforting knowing its leaving a breadcrumb trail wherever im flying, so even if i dont activate the SOS function, the SAR services already have a small search area and can pretty accurately predict where i should be. sadly, they are not CASA approved.

My condolences to all involved.

How do Search and Rescue now where to look, do they get your SPOT data sent to them, or is it up to you or your home base to send them the data. ?

(099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif Admin)

That would be good, flying Visla, but I wouldn't be sure it will be done. Someone knowledgeable should go over the plane carefully at least. Tyring to work out pre-existing V/s post impact condition is not easy. ( unless done expertly) Nev

• Agree 1

This will most likely be investigated by the police and probably assisted by RAAus and the report goes to the coroner and is not seen by anybody else. What I would like to know is why we cannot know what the findings are. Reasons like, 'it is not Police policy'or 'they are not allowed to' are unacceptable to me as this is a safety issue.

• Agree 3

How do Search and Rescue now where to look, do they get your SPOT data sent to them, or is it up to you or your home base to send them the data. ?(099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif Admin)

In this case. when SAR was activated, ATC had a recorded track log of the transponder of the aircraft, they were able to provide track information up to the time it ceased to be able to transmit a signal due to the aircrafts azimuth and signal coverage ( roughly 800 ft amsl). AMSAR are provided this information when available as a matter of course( another good reason to have a xponder -even without CTA access), this combined with various other "reliable" sources are used to build a search area. Witness reports are considered but often their validity needs to be tested against other known criteria. No 7700 code was transmitted to my knowledge.

I simply wish for comfort and care for the friends and family of Dianne in this terrible time of distress.

• Informative 1

Ballpoint. We are feeling for all of you guys at the moment. Thanx for updating us all. If your up to it, a couple of questions.

Was this an RAA or Ga Gazelle?

Was she flying on a logged flightplan? I only ask because im curious how ATC could be sure which radar paint was hers without a code in a presumedly busy area. And I only ask for my own knowledge and educational value.

Thanks

Ballpoint. We are feeling for all of you guys at the moment. Thanx for updating us all. If your up to it, a couple of questions.Was this an RAA or Ga Gazelle?

Was she flying on a logged flightplan? I only ask because im curious how ATC could be sure which radar paint was hers without a code in a presumedly busy area. And I only ask for my own knowledge and educational value.

Thanks

Motz, aircraft was 24 Rego. As far as I know, ATC can still identify an individual aircraft even IF transponder is set to std VFR 1200 by a certain piece of code that is included.

I am happy to be corrected if this is incorrect.

• Agree 1