Skyfox Gazelle stall warning.

johnmon

This stall warning topic really got everyone going! I personally appreciate the thing going off when I'm mustering in my gazelle. A lot of the time it's concentration and eyes out of the aircraft, flying by the seat of your pants as I am keeping track of the stock. Stall waning going off while I'm in a tight turn is very helpful, it's just automatic - either a bit of nose down or more power or both. Can any one tell me what a 1996 gazelle is worth these days. It's nearly due for a new engine.

• Winner 1

This stall warning topic really got everyone going! I personally appreciate the thing going off when I'm mustering in my gazelle. A lot of the time it's concentration and eyes out of the aircraft, flying by the seat of your pants as I am keeping track of the stock. Stall waning going off while I'm in a tight turn is very helpful, it's just automatic - either a bit of nose down or more power or both. Can any one tell me what a 1996 gazelle is worth these days. It's nearly due for a new engine.

What's it worth? Probably $25-35k , in dollars. In value ? Wouldn't be anything under $75k(talking new here) that would come close , except maybe a lightwing, and the twenty grand for a new engine would still be the best value aircraft you'd ever get,

Matty

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

• 2 months later...
I now have a retro fit stall warning fitted.(skyshop) which works well. If a 24 aircraft is manufactured with a stall then its out of certification if one is not fitted.

Correct. Unless there is sufficient "natural" stall warning - usually buffet due to the turbulence from the start of stalling at the wing root, hitting the tailplane - all the design standards for small aeroplanes require an artificial stall warning (and a red light is not considered sufficient). Usually, there isn't sufficient "natural" warning in all configurations. So it ends up with a hooter. You do learn to ignore it or to use it to confirm that you did achieve a full-stall touchdown.

They have their uses as said here, but like all warnings must be reliable. The early B747 had so many you couldn't continue enough take offs so the majority had to be eliminated. It's a common topic for discussion. I have ben a lifetime advocate for an accelerometer being part of a commercial jets hardware so you pick up a dragging brake or overload or subtle engine failure or miscalculation of take off data. The cost would be minimal.

I'm a fan also of an Angle of Attack indicator, which goes by many other names, which could easily incorporate an audible warning.. I don't advocate watching ANY instrument too much in VFR though