How long is too long between flights?

I have recently gotten my pilots license and have had only 2 flights since. The most recent was a little more than a month after the last. I did not actually want that much time between flights. I tried to go several times in that period but cancelled due to weather.

Finally saturday I was able to fly again. I planned on doing touch and goes. I was admittedly a little nervous having such little pilot in command time. Once I got to the runway and took off I felt completely comfortable and confident flying the plane except for one thought. "Now I have to land the plane." The same thought I had when I did my first solo. As I descended and approached the runway I did everything I was trained to do. I rounded out at the right height and did my flare correctly so I did not balloon, then touched down gently on the runway.

I am curious as a new pilot what do people think is the maximum appropriate time to go between flights before you should go up with an instructor again? Also once you get more hours does it get easier to go longer times without flying?

You shouldn't forget the basics, Like riding a pushbike, but beware you might forget some little detail or check. More experience helps but the more complex the plane the more preparation to get back into it. There are recency requirements built into a lot of operations.. Nev

How long between flights also depends on the pilot.Some pilots can go for months without flying & then fly very well as if they had just flown yesterday.

On the other hand some pilots fly not so well & if they have more than a week off they look like a accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

It happens, I haven't flown in months, but I'll get back in the saddle and take an instructor up to check me out as that has typically been my practice. A couple of circuits in the saddle and I'll be off again.

At the end of the day it is all about currency, the more frequently you fly the more current. If you have a gap, get a check ride and that will pick up where you might be missing something as a result of a lack of currency.

• Agree 1

my last flight i hadnt flown for about 5 months.. was fine, although i no longer have passengar carrying privledges until such time as i can do a currency flight

Does RAA have the requirement, as well, that you have had at least three takeoffs and landing in the last 90 days to remain current?

In my view all the comments above are spot on.

I would add that the more total airtime you have the longer your gaps can be. After many years comm heli I got Ross River and had to take a break which ended up being four years.

I got another heli contract after that and was very worried about the potential cost of getting current again. Technically I only had to complete a BFR but to pass all emergencies in a Jetranger after so long away from it, at $1000/hr...

The instructor threw a controls hydraulics loss combined with an engine failure at me in our second cct and a tailrotor failure in the next. Kept me very busy with a rpm governor failure on the next while quizzing me about in-flight fire procedure at the same time, just to add pressure... Terminate to a slope landing and we still had time in the normal 90mins to put a load on the hook for good measure. I surprised myself by doing all of it sufficiently well to renew at comm level, and that was after 4yrs on the ground.

Regarding lower-time flyers, one of the things I found when I was teaching was that moderate gaps didn't harm the learning because students had time to really go over and mentally digest every moment of their previous flight. I think the same applies after licence so, to the OP's original question - don't worry unless you really don't think you're up to it. If so just take a 'safety lap' with someone, and it doesn't have to be an instructor, another licenced/certificated flyer is ok too...

Does RAA have the requirement, as well, that you have had at least three takeoffs and landing in the last 90 days to remain current?

This sounds like the rules to maintain passenger carrying privileges to me, might be wrong.

• Agree 2

I had a 8 year break from 2000 to 2008. Last plane I flew in 2000 was a Skyfox Gazelle. I had a BFR in 2008 in a Tecnam Golf. To pass my BFR was over 3 flights . 0.76 refresher training. 0.84 Stalls, spiral dive recovery & 2 circuits.Then BFR 0.5 Forced landings & EFTO. Like I said above, some people can go for a long time between flights & fly well & some people should take up Knitting.

And no - I didnt have a 1000 hours, I had 84 hours in my log book.At the time.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Informative 1

Good stuff this, but it does concern me how often I see uncertainty about the basic rules under which we operate.

So - folks - can we all quote by heart/rote the CASO under which each of us operates our specific aircraft, for example? And what about the CASR to which our particular CASO applies?

Are we all certain of which Order (CASO) applies to us? Are we all fully informed about how it all works i.e. the CASRs (regulations) ban everyone from doing anything at all in the air. The CASOs (orders) are exemptions from having to comply with certain CASRs. Easy stuff to work with once you understand the process y'know?

In other words are we fully knowledgeable about our rights and privileges? And also our legal limitations?

Do we need a new thread?

Good stuff this, but it does concern me how often I see uncertainty about the basic rules under which we operate.So - folks - can we all quote by heart/rote the CASO under which each of us operates our specific aircraft, for example? And what aboutn the CASR to which our particular CASO applies?

Are we all certain of which Order (CASO) applies to us? Are we all fully informed about how it all works i.e. the CASRs (regulations) ban everyone from doing anything at all in the air. The CASOs (orders) are exemptions from having to comply with certain CASRs. Easy stuff to work with once you understand the process y'know?

In other words are we fully knowledgeable about our rights and privileges? And also our legal limitations?

Do we need a new thread?

Hmmm, I live in Qld.(As you know) We do want we want up here.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif Just joking.014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

• Like 1

I have recently gotten my pilots license and have had only 2 flights since. The most recent was a little more than a month after the last. I did not actually want that much time between flights. I tried to go several times in that period but cancelled due to weather.Finally saturday I was able to fly again. I planned on doing touch and goes. I was admittedly a little nervous having such little pilot in command time. Once I got to the runway and took off I felt completely comfortable and confident flying the plane except for one thought. "Now I have to land the plane." The same thought I had when I did my first solo. As I descended and approached the runway I did everything I was trained to do. I rounded out at the right height and did my flare correctly so I did not balloon, then touched down gently on the runway.

I am curious as a new pilot what do people think is the maximum appropriate time to go between flights before you should go up with an instructor again? Also once you get more hours does it get easier to go longer times without flying?

Its like anything else the more you do the better you are, if you're not confident get a check flight, there is no simple answer.

I had a 8 year break from 2000 to 2008. Last plane I flew in 2000 was a Skyfox Gazelle. I had a BFR in 2008 in a Tecnam Golf. To pass my BFR was over 3 flights . 0.76 refresher training. 0.84 Stalls, spiral dive recovery & 2 circuits.Then BFR 0.5 Forced landings & EFTO. Like I said above, some people can go for a long time between flights & fly well & some people should take up Knitting.And no - I didnt have a 1000 hours, I had 84 hours in my log book.At the time.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

For clarity, I better mention that in my 84 hours at the time. I had flown solo a Drifter, Javelin, LSA 55 Jabiru(Pilot certicate in the Jabby), Gazelle and completed my GFPT in a Piper Archer. This may be important as I beleive that a pilot is more skilled if they have been PIC in multiple aircraft.I have been PIC of 14 different types so far which isnt many but it helps.Pilot hours dont mean much to me, I have seen plenty of pilots with alot more hours than me & I wonder how the fark have they survived thus far.Just saying.

Only fourteen types, if he wasn't such a gentleman Tomo would pity you.

Tomo is a mate on mine & he is doing great. But I do feel a bit of jealously coming from you.Hopping from one aircraft to another is easy for some & difficult for others. How many different types have you flown solo Nose wheel/Tail wheel ?

PS- How many pilots have passed their BFR after 8 years of not flying anything, in a aircraft that they have never flown before in 2.1 hours. Not many if any, I pity you.

Tomo is a mate on mine & he is doing great. But I do feel a bit of jealously coming from you.Hopping from one aircraft to another is easy for some & difficult for others. How many different types have you flown solo Nose wheel/Tail wheel ?PS- How many pilots have passed their BFR after 8 years of not flying anything, in a aircraft that they have never flown before in 2.1 hours. Not many if any, I pity you.

Also I never flew anything in that 8 year break.If somebody else has done the same as I have, IE- passed a BFR in a aircraft that they have never flown before in 2.1 hours AND have not flown anything for the previous 8 years. They can criticise me.If they havent they can go and get farked.

• Like 1

I found that if I had a bit of a break, 8 weeks ,when I was a very low time ( sub100 ) my radio work seemed to suffer the most, it generally only took a couple of cct to get on top of it , so far for the last few years I think the longest spell has been about 5 weeks. I fly a lot of different types and it really does help with being able to adapt to a new aircraft easily ,at the moment I'm spending time between a Tigermoth and a Eurofox ,two more different behaving aircraft I can't think of but to help after the pre flight I spend time sitting in the cockpit mentally going through where everything is ,easier in the Moth as there's bugger all to do in em,and thinking about how the aircraft behaved the last time I flew it ,with the moth and the fox the props go opposite ways, this effects what it'll do when the tail comes up, what is the roll rate like, was it pitch sensitive, what is the view in the flare ( what view all the moth pilots say) the same thing with my AFR last week, i wanted to go into a couple of different airspaces and chose a 172 for it, I haven't been in one for a while but spent a bit of time thinking about how it was the last time leading up to the flight, by the time I was sitting in it with the engine warming it felt nice n comfy, also got to play with all the gadgets (ADF, VOR, two ,yes two radios) , but if I ever feel its not "right" I'll track down a FI for a lap. I also make a habit of asking any pilot I fly with to give an honest critique of my flying and where I could improve, its a good guage of where I'm at as a flyer

Met

• Like 1

Tomo is a mate on mine & he is doing great. But I do feel a bit of jealously coming from you.Hopping from one aircraft to another is easy for some & difficult for others. How many different types have you flown solo Nose wheel/Tail wheel ?PS- How many pilots have passed their BFR after 8 years of not flying anything, in a aircraft that they have never flown before in 2.1 hours. Not many if any, I pity you.

Not Jealous Dazza, just a dig in your ribs. I would just be happy to be flying something, haven't done any since I finished my training, hence my sig line.

Tomo is a mate on mine & he is doing great. But I do feel a bit of jealously coming from you.Hopping from one aircraft to another is easy for some & difficult for others. How many different types have you flown solo Nose wheel/Tail wheel ?

The difference between me and you however... you probably have money in your bank... 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

I've lost count how many types I've flown, but it does get easier the more you do! Mind you I wouldn't go more than 2 weeks without flying 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Agree 1

Thanks for all the great replies. Didn't think my question would get quite this much activity.

As mentioned above I did notice my radio calls were the most lacking part of my flight. I noticed a couple of mistakes that the controller had to correct me on that I wouldn't have made had I been flying more recently. Also its interesting to see the currency requirements over there are the same as in the US. I am required to do a biennial flight review if I am not actively training for a new certificate and also 3 landings in the last 90 days to carry passengers. I imagine this is because of ICAO.

• Agree 1

Thanks for all the great replies. Didn't think my question would get quite this much activity.As mentioned above I did notice my radio calls were the most lacking part of my flight. I noticed a couple of mistakes that the controller had to correct me on that I wouldn't have made had I been flying more recently. Also its interesting to see the currency requirements over there are the same as in the US. I am required to do a biennial flight review if I am not actively training for a new certificate and also 3 landings in the last 90 days to carry passengers. I imagine this is because of ICAO.

jwn: The instructors where I learned to fly suggest that (especially for low time pilots) if they haven't flown for 6 weeks or more, it's a good idea to get an instructor to do a circuit or two with you. I find, as a low time pilot myself (~160 hours) that if I haven't flown for about a month, I start to get a little anxious before the flight. I find when I do have a longish layoff, that I sometimes forget little things but they soon come back when I get going.

• Like 1