How long is too long between flights?

The PPL etc comply with ICAO, and it would state that on the licence. but I don't think the RAAus certificate has to. It probably has no equivalent thing overseas. Similarity is one thing . Compliance is another..Nev

I had a 10 year break and it took me 60 hours to redo everything. Changing countries didn't help.

But I find 3 weeks is the longest I can go without noticing a deterioration. But the longer I fly, the longer I can have a gap.

Havent had a deterioration with my flying to date after completion of various licences and endorsements, but I have racked up around 80 hours in just over 12 months. Time off for me is anything over a week without flying, as the hangar is 5 minutes away and I'm free in the days. Biggest gap was recently due to work, weather and a sinus infection - almost two months! I didn't have a problem going back, though, as I tend to rigorously stick to a routine. Visualisation is also an important thing for me - thinking about an concentrating on the flight and specific aspects of it before you are called on to perform them. I find this technique helps considerably if you are 'out of practise' or even simply aiming for precision.

Another thing I find very helpful is flying a free WWI flight simulator in my spare time. I only have a basic $50 joystick (Logitech Extreme 3D Pro) and keyboard but it really does fly nicely as its got integrated hatswitch for head position plus a third axis for rudder and a lever for throttle, too.

The game is called 'Rise of Flight' for anyone thats interested, and I specifically recommend it due to the similarity of the planes of that period to the ones we fly now, in terms of flight characteristics if nothing else. Plus... its an absolute hoot to try and fly competitively online or with the ingame missions! Trying to tackle the rotary engine planes, too, with the on/off ignition-based throttle and savage torque reaction is also a good challenge. Its a free download for the game plus a few planes, and any others you want to fly are available as an extra purchase for about $7 or so. Bargain IMO!

- boingk

Unfortunately for me I only have time to schedule a flight once a month. I also seem to be bad at picking decent flying days a month in adavance, so I often go up to 3-4 months between flights. If its been more than 2 months I schedule a lesson with the instructor. While its probably not strictly necessary, it does comfort both myself and my better half knowing that I've got someone there to catch any mistooks I might make, or correct any bad habits. Often the instructor will come up for a circuit or two, and then let me loose to do my own thing.

As an added benefit you get to go flying with somebody who really, really knows their sh*t. I havn't had one of those flights yet where I havn't learnt something that helps me become a better pilot.

• Like 1

I have recently gotten my pilots license and have had only 2 flights since. The most recent was a little more than a month after the last. I did not actually want that much time between flights. I tried to go several times in that period but cancelled due to weather.Finally saturday I was able to fly again. I planned on doing touch and goes. I was admittedly a little nervous having such little pilot in command time. Once I got to the runway and took off I felt completely comfortable and confident flying the plane except for one thought. "Now I have to land the plane." The same thought I had when I did my first solo. As I descended and approached the runway I did everything I was trained to do. I rounded out at the right height and did my flare correctly so I did not balloon, then touched down gently on the runway.

I am curious as a new pilot what do people think is the maximum appropriate time to go between flights before you should go up with an instructor again? Also once you get more hours does it get easier to go longer times without flying?

The longest I have gone without a check flight is six weeks. If I have not flown for a long time, I aks\\\\ ask an instructor to come up for a few circuits.

The PPL etc comply with ICAO, and it would state that on the licence. but I don't think the RAAus certificate has to. It probably has no equivalent thing overseas. Similarity is one thing . Compliance is another..Nev

Not sure if I am interpreting this comment right, but just to clarify a RAAus Pilot Certificate holder (with pax endorsement) is required to meet the 3 take-off/landing in last 90 days rule before carrying pax + have completed a BFR (or gained a new endorsement) within the last 2 years to go flying at all, which is pretty much the standard everywhere.

• Like 1

I have recently gotten my pilots license and have had only 2 flights since. The most recent was a little more than a month after the last. I did not actually want that much time between flights. I tried to go several times in that period but cancelled due to weather.Finally saturday I was able to fly again. I planned on doing touch and goes. I was admittedly a little nervous having such little pilot in command time. Once I got to the runway and took off I felt completely comfortable and confident flying the plane except for one thought. "Now I have to land the plane." The same thought I had when I did my first solo. As I descended and approached the runway I did everything I was trained to do. I rounded out at the right height and did my flare correctly so I did not balloon, then touched down gently on the runway.

I am curious as a new pilot what do people think is the maximum appropriate time to go between flights before you should go up with an instructor again? Also once you get more hours does it get easier to go longer times without flying?

In my mind the fact you're asking the question means you've been trained quite well. I believe a large part of a pilots training should definitely consist of an ability to question yourself and your abilities in order to truly understand what you should be attempting.

We've had quite a few guys come through the school lately that have started their training elsewhere. Two of them on the phone stated they were told by their previous school they were "almost ready for solo". Their records indicated a similar assessment and they truly believed they were. Suffice to say they were a little bit concerned after a few circuits when the new instructor said to them kindly and honestly that they had quite some way to go...

As for how long is too long it really comes down to the individual. If you manage to dismiss any ego that may arise (harder for some pilots than others) then it's simply a matter of self-assessing your abilities and competence. My advice is that if you're even a little bit doubtful then jump in with an instructor for a couple of circuits and ask them to give you an honest assessment. If they tell you they see no issues then you will gain a little confidence. If they tell you that you've got some issues then you were extremely smart in getting them to come along. Keep doing this and slowly you'll become confident you can truly self-assess your abilities.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

That is great advice. Flying is one area where my safe, less risky personality is an asset. Although it ends up being a detriment with the women

003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif . I have read some accident reports and can't believe the stupid risks some pilots have taken. I definitely don't want to be one of those stories. I am also definitely taking the time to get more training before I attempt anything harder. Right now I am sticking to more local flights(within 60nm) with very good weather until I get my private license and more experience.

Also I should say I have had some great instructors with a great flying school. In addition, the school I fly at is one of the busiest GA airports in the US, and its underneath class B airspace. Having that additional training in busy airspace definitely helped. The only downside is that I am used to giant runways and have very little experience with narrow/short runways.

• Like 1