Just Landed

Hello All

This is what I have done so far

2 Hours Flying and a lot of reading. 1 hour in a Jabiru 160 and 1 hour in a Gazelle. Bad weather this weekend so no flying. Training at Illawarra Regional Airport AKA Wollongong Airport, Albion Park Airport, YWOL.

Flying just for fun.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ivan,

Welcome to the forum and glad to hear things are progressing nicely. From your picture it looks like you're flying a Gazelle down at Wollongong? Wasn't aware of anyone training in Gazelle's down that way -thought there were only Jabirus?

68Volski

My wife got me a intro flight in the Gazelle at Goulburn for christmas. I live in shellharbour so started flying out of Wollongong Jabirus 160 & 170.

My wife took the pic with the Gazelle. It's going to be an expensive christmas presant by the time I finish my training and of course I now want my own plane. Maybe for next christmas. LOL

Hi dazza

Cheers Ivan

Hi Ivan,. . . It's been a while since my tyres graced the roads around Bulli Pass and Wollongong, but I know the area quite well, I have an old girlfriend who lives there. . . . for heavens sake don't tell the missus that ! ! ! !

It's a strange thing this FLYIN ain't it ?? To some its sheer terror, and to others it grabs them like a drug ! ! !

Keep at it mate ! and Welcome

Phil

Hello All...

Flying just for fun.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif to the Forum, Ivan

It's a strange thing this FLYIN ain't it ?? To some its sheer terror, and to others it grabs them like a drug ! ! !

It's very addictive!

0.8 hrs touch n go's 15 kts combined crosswind-headwind bumpy air . Also passed my radio test and am doing all radio calls.

Hi Ivan. . . . them radio calls,. . . . we all hope you are doing them right. . . . . .!

Welcome Ivan

Nice little airport Albion Park, not too busy.

Treat the misses right, and she'll never be lost to know what to buy you for Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Ramadan, or whatever else you can think of.

Sounds like you're having fun.

Keep us posted.

Kind Regards

Planey

Another Hour today, How much fun is stalling the plane. Stalled with no Power, Stalled with Power, Stalled with Flaps, Then some spiral dives. Then emergeny landing procedure in curcuit. Instructor pulled power on downwind runway 34 Fortunatally Wollongong has runway 26 so I headed for that, was to high so turned mid field on to runway 34 (very long runway for this type of plane) and as buy this time we where getting a bit low so it was not practical or safe to turn to steep so we landed just to the left of the runway on the grass. One of the best hours flying yet.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Well done Ivan. . . . keep at it mate,. . . . it gets HARDER ! ! but that's half the fun, and not only that. . . . in the future, your passengers will be glad of all that hard work you put in. . . . . . !

Phil

Hello AllThis is what I have done so far

2 Hours Flying and a lot of reading. 1 hour in a Jabiru 160 and 1 hour in a Gazelle. Bad weather this weekend so no flying. Training at Illawarra Regional Airport AKA Wollongong Airport, Albion Park Airport, YWOL.

Flying just for fun.

Hi Ivan, . . . .

I've no doubt that you've read all sorts of interesting books about aviation before you started training, but if you read old Wolfgang Langweische's book called "Stick and Rudder" written in the 1930s, you'll get some interesting stuff from that too. . . .apart from the bit about landing aeroplanes with a Nosewheel. . . he didn't like them at all ! ! ! ! so don't take any notice of that bit ! ! ! ! but there is a lot of interesting stuff in that book, described in cartoons and drawings, some of which point out that, if you NEVER put the stick, or control yoke into the "Stalling" position. . . then you can NEVER stall the aeroplane. . . . good advice, ( doesn't work with High-speed stalls though ) but a good read at bedtime anyway. . . !

Happy training . . . . !

Phil

Thnaks Phill

I still have a lot to learn. Although it has been chalenging at times I have a great instructor and CFI who also make it fun. I will make a note of your book suggestion but am currently studying for the Human Factors exam and continually reviewing rules and regs, radio procedures ect... The Stalling I refered to previously where intentional training stalls and although I had read a lot on this site about yoke stall position every time we where close to stall the instructor reminded me to remember that yoke position as one of the key indicators of the plane stalling or about to stall. He also covered the high speed stalls you refer to both while we where in the air and on the ground. My instructor also spends a lot of time after lessons explaining different aspects of the flight we have just completed and what we would be covering in our next flight. (This is all unpaid as I am only paying for flying hours so I am very greatfull for all the extra time he gives me when he can 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif ).

I'm sure it will get a lot HARDER but I'm not scared yet. I'm in no rush. If it takes me 30-40 hours training just to get my license for local flying then thats what it takes. Although I think I'm on track for 20-25 hours before the big test.

8.8 Hrs, Soon the instructor will ask for a full stop landing get out and not get back in. I just want a little more practace on gliding (dead stick) landings. Instructor is happy but I want to be better at it. You never know It could be that first solo that the Jab Engine decides to stop.

I was flying on Friday and my son had his second lesson on Saturday. It was a good day for flying but only one instrutor available so I missed out on the Saturday fly.