Drifter owner

dazza 38

Hi Folks, I placed a deposit this morning after checking out Drifter 55- 0978 which is currently located at Coominya. (The one for sale RAA market). 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif The planets must have aligned because I also scured hangar space at Boonah in Scenic Rim's hangar.

This sale is subject to a L2 inspection report etc which will be carried out in the next few weeks.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 5

Congratulations Dazza.Exhilarating flying - the Drifter.

Pud

Thanks Pud the last time I flew Drifter was 21 may 1990.037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif. Im looking forward to getting endorsed to fly drifters again. I have have missed flying them. As fun goes, nothing else compares . Well I loved flying the Savage Cub. And the Savage Bobber would be fantastic as well I think. Thrusters are just as good as a Drifter. Something has been missing from my flying. It is the grass roots fun factor I think.

• Like 3

looks like a lot of fun and good buying @ $21k if its mickey mouse!sure you will have a lot of fun, you probably need to buy some motorcycle riding gear to keep warm.

I ride motorbikes as well Ft.019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Good onya dazza, Great flying machine the Drifter without doubt, and hard to beat the view really. I did 2-3 hrs in my old one recently, and enjoyed every minute !...........................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Thrusters are more suited to the temperate climate of southern Oz! Mine has doors to keep out the chilly winds. Never actually flown a Drifter but I have it on good authority that they are easier to land and a bit faster because of less frontal area drag. Congratulations on your choice and I suppose that you will have earned the respect of Ozzie. Regards, Don

• Like 1

Nice work Dazza miss mine that is for sure... but then I don't think I would have been able to get airborne since I sold it anyway with this weather.

I have to wonder what possessed someone to put fluro yellow wings on a blue fuse and white pod 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif 042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif

• Agree 1

Good show. I reckon the Drifter is better than the Thruster to fly. Is yours WB? Don't bend the landing gear. ( I haven't yet but I've seen it done) Nev.

Hi Nev, it is a SB582. Total Time airframe - 716 hours. 582 Blue top engine TT is 230 hours. Its very tidy.

PS- I will try and look after the landing gear.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Guest Maj Millard

The Drifter landing gear legs are pretty damn good really. They do tend to 'relax' a bit if constantly training, but all you do is remove them and restraighten them again in a hyd press and presto, reinsert, and your ready to go again.

A few years back some Drifter folks here in the North were planning to do a big trip up to the gulf. There were a couple of 503 Drifters and I had the only 582. Strangly enough I got to carry all the gear, as I was solo and they were dual.

I knew a very good welder at the time who knew his stuff with exotic metals. I took him a Drifter leg and said find me something that is better than this.

He produced two beautifull exotic stainless legs, and I fitted them to my Drifter. All looked good, the takeoff from home-base was extremly loaded with full fuel, and probabily the heaviest I've ever flown a Drifter, but it did the job as always.

We flew non-stop to Frank Arris' (Farri) place just South of Cairns, and I was last to land. Now light on fuel I managed a normal Drifter landing, but shortly after touchdown one leg just gave out and well..failed. I managed to taxi in like that with one wing down, in a very un-Drifter-like fashion !.

Fortunatly I had packed the two original legs and I promptly fitted them. I believe they are still on the aircraft when I flew it again a few weeks back. The fancy exotic stainless ones are laying in the shed somewhere, one with a nice curve in it.......................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi Nev, it is a SB582. Total Time airframe - 716 hours. 582 Blue top engine TT is 230 hours. Its very tidy.PS- I will try and look after the landing gear.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

So you got 70 hrs before engine overhaul?

methusala, I don't own one. I think it is probably easier to convert to a drifter than a thruster. My Fisher is a Michael Fisher . Fisher Aero Corp later sold and now known as Fisher Flying Products.

The Drifter is amazing with the view, but it is a Pusher and more care is required with objects flying out of pockets etc The Thruster is stronger in the landing gear and a bit more enclosed. Nev

Depends on whether you train with it. An engine can be good at 300 hours. It's just that is the specified life. Works out at about $20 /hour if you put a new motor in. Fuel is about $26 / hour .Nev

Depends on whether you train with it. An engine can be good at 300 hours. It's just that is the specified life. Works out at about $20 /hour if you put a new motor in. Fuel is about $26 / hour .Nev

True, but im not having it online.It is for private use.

I would have thought as much. I have known some private operators to replace them at the 300 hours. That would have been a good engine to get and keep. You can get a lot of info from removing the exhaust manifold and having a look at the rings and piston.. I have stripped them and found virtually no wear at those times. The ring gaps were no better on the new rings than the ones removed. Nev

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Dazza if you use the right 2-stroke oil and correct coolant, you won't have to touch it before 500 hrs (decoke, poss new rings) mine was still running strong at 650 Hrs, and has only just been replaced with a new blue-top at 750 hrs. It was well used and never babied. Just looked at a 582 Bluetop in a hovercraft can you believe, (4-5 person)..works very hard and all I had to do was line up the carb slides, and all good. If you check that your carb slides are lined up every now and then, they'll run sweet as a whistle...........................................................................Maj...011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif