Flight Training now @ Gladstone

RAAus Flight training commenced at Gladstone Qld last week. Using a Jabiru J230 at the moment, cost is $280.00 per hour. Contact CFI John-Jon Roberts 0408 984 007.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds expensive. Is it people think there's heaps of money in Gladstone. Some people yes but not for all people. Still got people filling the shelves at Woolies. He won't last long. I thought that would be GA rates for a Jabiru. I own a plane I know how much it costs to run and I know he's not a charity. But but I won't be sending anyone his way till someone can justify the cost. You can get a 172 in Rockhampton for $285 with an instructor. Gundy

• Agree 2

Jeesus H..... ive got a 230 and a 160 you can hire if they paying that up there. Might have to bring them up and start my own school at that price. Be payed off in a year

The solo price is still only $150 or $160.. Same as yours.. :)

$120 ph for an instructor does seem a bit high all right , I had an engineering shop up that way and $85-95 is a pretty standard shop rate,,cost of living can be higher in mining focused towns though! Be interesting to see if he's still around in a year ,if so then a new bench mark will be set,,,,,sadly for cheap fun flying!

• 2 weeks later...
I would go out on a limb and say that's the most expensive RAA training price in Australia? Anyone know of any that top it?

Like I have said before about this, everything is expensive in Gladstone, the schools owner is capitalising in on the mining industries high incomes...yes I think you are right, it would have to be the most expensive RAA school in Australia..

David

Like I have said before about this, everything is expensive in Gladstone, the schools owner is capitalising in on the mining industries high incomes...yes I think you are right, it would have to be the most expensive RAA school in Australia..

David

I agree, but I was thinking more along the lines of the option of having a week or two off & heading south to cheaper flying school.

David

Capitalizing... I wouldn't use such a "friendly" word for this practice... The owners must be morally bankrupt and let us all hope the school goes the same way.

This is the sort of rubbish that is ruining rural Australia... if only people had the integrity to say no rather than just joining the sharks.

• Agree 3

I am wondering if RA-Aus on their website could in their list of schools http://www.raa.asn.au/school-states/schools-qld/ list current prices for dual and and solo and maybe against the aircraft they use for training.

I would be a great help to new students who are looking for a school in a particular area to see what the approximate charges are and then go out to the school with this information already in hand.

Just saves a lot of driving around if you have some prior knowleadge on what schools charge, one other major thing it may do, seeing everyone can see there charges on the RA-Aus website is encourage the schools through competition to keep their fee's at the lowest possible charge.

So what does everyone think, would this help? If so we could approach our local members to see if it can be done...I really thing some of the schools fee's are getting out of control...

David

I am wondering if RA-Aus on their website could in their list of schools http://www.raa.asn.au/school-states/schools-qld/ list current prices for dual and and solo and maybe against the aircraft they use for training.I would be a great help to new students who are looking for a school in a particular area to see what the approximate charges are and then go out to the school with this information already in hand.

Just saves a lot of driving around if you have some prior knowleadge on what schools charge, one other major thing it may do, seeing everyone can see there charges on the RA-Aus website is encourage the schools through competition to keep their fee's at the lowest possible charge.

So what does everyone think, would this help? If so we could approach our local members to see if it can be done...I really thing some of the schools fee's are getting out of control...

David

I assume you are willing to pay increased RAAus Fees to cover the staff hours involved in providing this service? Possibly you volunteering to do the job? How will you handle those businesses who prefer or choose not to publicise or emphasise their rates in the first instance, this being their preference. After all, many aircraft are advertised for sale without a price because the vendor has chosen to only provide the information upon positive enquiry.

Oh yeah. Don't shoot this messenger. My rates are there for all to see at www.waggabiketyres.com

• Agree 1

I assume you are willing to pay increased RAAus Fees to cover the staff hours involved in providing this service?

I don't see how this would cost to much, an email sent out to all the schools that are advertised on the RA-Aus website asking about their rates and then the schools that want to participate send back an email with there rates and then RA-Aus updates their web site with the information...ok granted there will be a few hours involved updating the information but it would not need to be done again for maybe a year..

Possibly you volunteering to do the job?

If they asked me too I could do it yes..no probs..

How will you handle those businesses who prefer or choose not to publicise or emphasise their rates in the first instance, this being their preference

Well that's up to them of course but if other schools advertise their rates and they don't they could miss out on the business and also people might think they are to expensive and they don't want you to know .

All I am saying is that you should be open and honest about what you are charging in your school..

Thats great info on your website nong..that is what I am talking about..very informative about what you do, the aircraft and the project hours needed to get your certificate...that's very good..well done..

David

I don't know all the details here but I do know there's a constant issue in the aviation world about pay rates and the cost of getting trained against what it's possible to earn, now a cleaner on a mining based job would be on pretty damn good money, we've all heard the stories of huge money for pretty unskilled workers. I had an engineering shop about 3 hours south of Gladstone and it was bloody hard to get staff due to the mining industry, as a result we just about went broke trying to compete.

So why is it such a travesty that a business that is targeting the mining sector excess' not make hay while the sun shines,,,I'm sure they're wages will be higher than other coastal towns simply because any instructor who has half a brain could get much better dosh else where, or do we continue down that road of paying people who are pretty highly skilled sh1t money " because they love flying", there maybe other issues that I'm not aware of but I reckon if they're servicing an area where the average wage is north of a hundred grand then good luck fellas I hope you succeed