Top tip: Watches

I just got one of these:

21035-f2defdf9fb766f4e6ab3660a24748caf.jpg

a Seiko SSC009 at AU$265 (seen similar in Au for approx $900), including delivery from http://www.skywatches.com.sg. It took 4 days to arrive, including missing the courier yesterday.

Only complaint - the E6B is a bit small for my old eyes 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Please note: I have no involvement with these guys, other than as a satisfied customer.

Mal

ssc009p1.jpg.1b34c8da533523bec712800c7f137160.jpg

Hi Mal...im a Watchmaker by trade and they are good prices! Thanks for posting that! I still have my Citizen "Blue Angels" pilot watch I paid around $700 for and have now had for approx 15 years and still going strong!

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Guest Maj Millard

:what the:Bubbleboy, As you are a watchmaker I was wondering if you have heard of the Breguet 12 aircraft clock, used originally in the Me 109 and many other german aircraft of the time. I picked one up off another pilot a few years ago and have used it in the Lightwing ever since. It is a great piece and works perfectly.

My reserch tells me Mr Breguet was of Swiss/German/French heritage, and is accredited with inventing the circular style watch/clock spring still used today. Breitling also make a model of watch called the Breguet, with a clear back so the movement can be viewed.

The movement in the clock I have, is a work of art. (screw-off back)

Do you have any additional info ?..... that's it mounted in the LW above my right foot, keeping perfect time as usual...........................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif IMG_0224.JPG.3b801e1eefa3382df883f8e3ba1a37a8.JPG

I bought a diving watch on the internet for $8.50 and is good to 30 meters [for those water ditchings] Looses only about four minutes a year. Its brand is "We De" - good for thoses status conscious people.

• Haha 2

I have a refurbished Elgin 8 day aircraft clock that's going into my plane. It's nice to have a bit of working history next to all the modern stuff in the panel. On the subject of watches, I was recently given one of the Citizen Angel watches as a birthday gift, which was most unexpected and much appreciated. However as FatMal said, the numbers are so small you need a magnifying glass and a steady hand to read them. In fact, I have a suspicion that these aviation type watches are all designed by non-pilots who have never sat in a hot, sweaty cockpit in turbulence. They are great gadgets and marvels of watchmaking skill, but just too complicated. My idea of a practical pilot's watch is a simple analogue watch that's easy to read and has a 60 minute rotating bezel that you can use as a timer.

rgmwa

• Like 1

:what the:Bubbleboy, As you are a watchmaker I was wondering if you have heard of the Breguet 12 aircraft clock, used originally in the Me 109 and many other german aircraft of the time. I picked one up off another pilot a few years ago and have used it in the Lightwing ever since. It is a great piece and works perfectly.My reserch tells me Mr Breguet was of Swiss/German/French heritage, and is accredited with inventing the circular style watch/clock spring still used today. Breitling also make a model of watch called the Breguet, with a clear back so the movement can be viewed.

The movement in the clock I have, is a work of art. (screw-off back)

Do you have any additional info ?..... that's it mounted in the LW above my right foot, keeping perfect time as usual...........................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif [ATTACH=full]21037[/ATTACH]

Hi Maj...beautiful example you have there! I started my Watchmaking Apprenticeship when I was 15 and became a Funeral Director / Embalmer at age 21. Im now 41 and a Licensed Pool Technician and Correctional Officer! Its been a few years since I have been in the industry. The year I started my apprenticeship in NZ, I was the only Apprentice Watchmaker in the country! Its a dying trade although has enjoyed a revival over the past decade with people finally starting to appreciate a mechanical watch / clock. I like unique pieces and aircraft clocks and Russian watches appeal to me for some reason. I would have to go back through my Horological books to check on the history of Mr Breguet. I think I appreciate them more now as I have aged than when I was a snotty nosed apprentice...lol 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Maj...Mr Wiki says this! Must be true...

History

Mainsprings appeared in the first spring powered clocks, in 15th century Europe. Around 1400 coiled springs began to be used in locks,[1] and many early clockmakers were also locksmiths.[2] Springs were applied to clocks to make them smaller and more portable than previous weight driven clocks, evolving into the first pocketwatches by 1600. Many sources erroneously credit the invention of the mainspring to the Nürnberg clockmaker Peter Henlein (also spelled Henle, or Hele) around 1511.[3][4][5] However, many references in 15th century sources to portable clocks 'without weights', and at least two surviving examples, show that spring driven clocks existed by the early years of that century.[1][6][7] The oldest surviving clock powered by a mainspring is the Burgunderuhr (Burgundy Clock), an ornate, gilt chamber clock, currently at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nurnberg, whose iconography suggests that it was made around 1430 for Philippe the Good, Duke of Burgundy.[1]

The first mainsprings were made of steel without tempering or hardening processes. They didn't run very long, and had to be wound twice a day. Henlein was noted for making watches that would run 40 hours between windings.

Guest Maj Millard

rgmwa, Yes I know the Eglin 8 day, thats a nice aircraft clock which graced many great WW2 panels. After aquiring the Breguet I became a bit interested, and would often check out 'aircraft clocks' on Ebay. Quite an education really, and there are many fine examples from all countries that appear there. It is obvious that there are also those out there who seriously collect them , as reflected in the prices......................................Maj...009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif

I bought a nurses fob watch on ebay. White face, black hands and easy to see the second hand. $7 delivered. Nice and simple. But i like those watches.... Tempting Mal!

I recently bought a sort of fob watch from a local electronics shop. Cost $12.50 or 3 for $20. It is digital but large numbers, plus it has stop watch and alarm, can also be used as 24 hour or 12 hour.

I havn't found a good analogue watch for a reasonable price and I think the pilots watches you see advertised are way overpriced.

Worst watch I ever owned was an Omega Seamaster and the best a Seiko, 29 years old and still going well.

Was thinking of one of those Breitling replicas, something like this:

http://www.asian7750.com/cn/product_show.asp?big_pid=&ps_id=128&P_id=993&ti=

just for giggles...

anyone tried one of these? a lot of them are laughably inaccurate on the markings, but this one seems pretty good, automatic movement (not quartz) bi-directional rotating bezel (some are not) and all the buttons and dials work.

Might do till I win lotto and can afford a real one?

Guest Maj Millard

On further research it appears Mr Abraham Louis Breguet (Swiss) invented not the circular mainspring, but a thing called a 'tourbillion'. It is a device designed to counteract the effects of gravity on watch mechanisms.....(From Wiki)..............................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Was thinking of one of those Breitling replicas, something like this:http://www.asian7750.com/cn/product_show.asp?big_pid=&ps_id=128&P_id=993&ti=

just for giggles...

anyone tried one of these? a lot of them are laughably inaccurate on the markings, but this one seems pretty good, automatic movement (not quartz) bi-directional rotating bezel (some are not) and all the buttons and dials work.

Might do till I win lotto and can afford a real one?

You'll want one of these beaut little gadgets to go with it then: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10X-21mm-Golden-Jewelers-Eye-Loupe-Magnifier-Magnifying-Glass-/130592159671?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e67e637b7

rgmwa

Worst watch I ever owned was an Omega Seamaster and the best a Seiko, 29 years old and still going well.

I did a part of my Watchmaking apprenticeship with the NZ agent/importer for Omega. Like anything mechanical, its not a case of if it fails but when. Yes we got a few Omegas back for warranty work but overall they were a nice piece.

Scotty

I just got one of these:21035-f2defdf9fb766f4e6ab3660a24748caf.jpg

a Seiko SSC009 at AU$265 (seen similar in Au for approx $900), including delivery from http://www.skywatches.com.sg. It took 4 days to arrive, including missing the courier yesterday.

Only complaint - the E6B is a bit small for my old eyes 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif

Please note: I have no involvement with these guys, other than as a satisfied customer.

Mal

Good watch, I've had mine over 6yrs now, never had to do anything with it, other than put a new band pin in as I lost it at a bush dance one night...

Thanks, Mal.

That looks to be a good website. Are the watches genuine or high-quality replica?

I'm a huge fan of Seiko and Omega myself. Omega I can't afford, but I've owned only two Seiko's for the past 30 years. The first one I had for about 20 years (can't remember the model). It eventually broke down and was not economically repairable, even to the agents, so they offered me a huge discount on a then current model. I've had that, a "The Great Blue" chronograph model for the past ten years. Although not quite as tough as the first, it's still keeping near-perfect time.

Methinks it's time to consider adding a third Seiko to my collection. Maybe this time one of those pilot watches from the site you've kindly pointed us at.

Cheers,

• Caution 1

Guest Maj Millard

Thinking of Seiko watches.

Whilst in the RAAF during the 70s, there were always Seiko watches for sale around the bases. They were the genuine item and would be bought back by the Herc crews from their supply trips to Malayasia. Also remember an RAF Vulcan bomber that came into Williamtown one time, and stayed for a few days. When the crew of about five deplaned it was a bit warm for them, so they all rolled up their RAF cold weather style flight suits. Each has at least 5-6 new Seikos on each arm !!......just to finance their R&R at the 'cross I suppose.

I purchas several new Seikos at one time ($30 each-1970s $$s) and onsold them...one to my brother in law, which I believe he still has.. They had the metal braclet type band, and were the perpetual self-winding type.

I myself wore a blue faced one which I loved. I was wearing it when in the fatal Cessna 182 crash at batchelor NT in 1974. I had skin off each knuckle on my left hand where the braclet had come undone, and the watch had flown of my hand at impact. I didn't give the watch much thought at the time, as I had greater things to think about.

Six months later at the coroners' inquest in Darwin the watch was presented as exhibit A !!!!....it had been found in the dash area of the crashed plane, and had stopped at the time of the crash. I got it back, recieved $160 from the insurance company that I had insuried it with, got it repaired, and wore it for another 20 years !!....Unfortunatly during subsequent moves and travel I have misplaced it, but do wish i still had it if only as a fond momento....

.............Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Below are the two lucky survivors that day...and a 70s style Maj !....(embarrased !)...both just out of hospital 12 months later. I was nursing a pair of still tender adominal scars, and Wendy still had a badly broken leg in plaster. Shot taken at Sydney Airport as she is about to depart back to England. She also suffered some facial injuries during the crash.

1039491801_Picture004.jpg.52cace9b0631341723d11426a0d73e8d.jpg

1737782974_Picture005.jpg.7f4d90f7b1d98204416d6640c4c6277e.jpg

1705347667_Picture002.jpg.f2382c232a9e47575dcba2e2043acd37.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Yeah...even I am impressed with those !!.....wonder if I could grow them again ????................................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Are the watches genuine or high-quality replica?

It's the genuine thing - came with warranty card and manual. I've also got a Bentley Breitling Navitimer, which is a copy - bought 6 years ago for approx. AU$20 from a Thai street vendor. Its still going, still accurate, but a strap pin rusted through.

Mal