Cleaning the finger filter in the fuel tank

Has anyone had any experience cleaning the finger filter in their fuel tank? I heard of one report of a partial engine failure that was attributed to the finger filter not been cleaned before. In fact, most people I've spoken to including some very experienced operators say they have never taken one out to have a look at it.

The partial engine out happened on a trike (912) with about 470 hrs. When the fuel was removed from the trike, inspection while the filter was still in the tank showed that it looked quite clean. It was not until it was removed that it didn't look so good. When the owner tried blowing through the filter, some resistance was felt. After cleaning it, the engine is running smoother.

Bluey.

Bluey,

I cleaned mine once, was a bit of a challenge with my trike being 001, I think from memory the later models gave you more room to unscrew the finger filter once the tank was drained and the hose was removed.

Not 100 % sure if mine was easier or harder than the later models but all I know is it was a challenge to get it out.

Cheers

Alf

Guest Maj Millard

Finger-filters have caused a lot of trouble over the years. Often they are out of sight-out of mind, not being visable in most cases, fitted inside the fuel tank. Additionally they are the first line of defence for the crud, so can get blocked quickly.

If you have one on your aircraft, it must be on the maintenance checklist come 100 hourly time. Also no substitute for a Mr Funnel every time you refuel..............don't leave home without it !........................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

It needs to be removed and cleaned for sure. It is definitely a case of out of sight and out of mind. Mr funnel is used all the time by everyone I know. The individual that had an issue was using a mr funnel religiously before he had the problem. I flew the affected trike today and it is now at 450 hrs.

One of my Tornado's had a finger filter fitting with tap and 90 degree bend and even with the finger removed the 90 degree bend clogged! The other one had a finger filter with a one way valve that pushed onto the end of the fuel line and acted like a dongle(?). That also clogged.

I know clear plastic automotive filters aren't designed for aviation but they are cheap and very easy to service, ie throw away.

• Winner 1

• 1 year later...

I found the guaze to fine, so the finger filter is gone & an external filter (that can be seen through) replaces it. also has a second gasolator filter before carby.

both are easy to service.

spacesailor

Guest Maj Millard

Fuel filters....a very necessary piece of equipment on any flying machine. We'd be visiting strange paddocks more often without them.

Recently during a 100 hourly on the Lightwing I decided to replace some ageing fuel lines on one of the fuel tanks ( others replaced previously) so as part of that I also elected to flush both tanks while I was at it.

I was amazed by the amount of accumulated crud that came out of the effected tank which had probabily not been ever flushed since new ( 900 hrs) even though I religiously use a Mr Funnel when refuelling.

The only time I don't use a Mr Funnel is when refuelling Avgas from airport bowsers when travelling.

Guest Maj Millard

I stopped using fuel tins many years ago when it appeared the paint or coatings inside the cans was coming apart. Without this coating they will rust internally very quickly. Mr Funnel to the rescue !......and of course change or clean fuel filters often.

None of that is what should be happening in aircraft fuel tanks. Some fibreglass sheds stuff that blocks filters too doesn't it? ALL filters should be readily accessible and serviced, or you are not safe.

Years ago I got a diesel tractor at a good price. The injectors and lift pump had been replaced, but I soon found it would die after about 30 mins operation. I removed the primary fuel tap and filter which was completely covered in "gloop" which looked like it was made of a mix of wax and water, cleaned it with solvent and air and reinstalled it. This should have been the first thing looked at. The TWO expensive items replaced by the previous owner were probably not unserviceable.

In the many years I serviced lawnmowers, I would always clean out the tanks, unless the machine was nearly new. IF you didn't do that the job would come back to you.

If it is difficult to remove your tanks ( and it usually is) is there something like a swimming pool cleaner "Creepy crawly" that could circulate and filter the contents? Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Well bottom line is this stuff should never enter tanks in the first place. I have often found alum scarf in metal tanks of new aircraft....that's poor quality control.

One popular imported aircraft with fibreglass tanks often gets clogged fuel filters from the tank degenerating and shedding fibreglass and this has put more than one into a paddock.

When this fact was bought to the intention if the importer his reply was..." Remove the tank, put a length of chain in it and rattle I around to break off all the loose fibres....flush and refit ! '........are you serious ??.......how about selecting a resin that is fuel- proof instead ?.......

While the idea is a good one it can be a bit impractical. To remove the jabiru filters you have to remove the wings. That is a major job.

Anyone know of or heard of a filter problem with jabirus?

... If it is difficult to remove your tanks ( and it usually is) is there something like a swimming pool cleaner "Creepy crawly" that could circulate and filter the contents? Nev

...or maybe some strong tank-flushing stuff you can half-fill the tank with then go fly thru some thermals?

While the idea is a good one it can be a bit impractical. To remove the jabiru filters you have to remove the wings. That is a major job.Anyone know of or heard of a filter problem with jabirus?

A bloke near me was telling me it was a pain checking those filters but I didn't think he had to remove the wings.

It is a kit built 6cyl.....