Excellent Savannah on the market

rankamateur

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reg and I were at Monto. He has had a Chinook APU turbine rigged up on the bench for a few years. Every so often when someone visiting shows interest in it he fires it up and rattles the shed a bit, but it was always meant to go in a plane. He has given up on it ever going in an RA plane so it will have to be a VH experimental. He used to talk about putting it in an old Bingo but I have no idea what the latest idea is.

Ok yeah I think I met him and his wife I think? They were really nice down to earth folks

I don't think you did, I was his copilot on that trip. I took my TIF with Bill at Monto and that was what got the ball rolling to get my certificate done, was quite a productive trip for me.

No turbines allowed in RAA here ...trouble is the fuel flow is horrendous . You couldn't carry enough fuel to actually go anywhere.

It burns about 60L/hr so you get about 2 1/2 hours so you would just have to go faster to get where you are going. But it smells like a kero burner and that is worth a fair bit. I have had a Cresco(industrial PAC750) here spreading fertilizer for the last day and a half. There is nothing like the smell of Kero in the morning!

• Caution 1

It burns about 60L/hr so you get about 2 1/2 hours so you would just have to go faster to get where you are going. But it smells like a kero burner and that is worth a fair bit. I have had a Cresco(industrial PAC750) here spreading fertilizer for the last day and a half. There is nothing like the smell of Kero in the morning!

Was that Phil flying the Cresco?

It was, very enjoyable survey flight you get in an empty Cresco with all those horsepower chomping at the bit. He did 160 tonnes in bit less than a day and a half, in about 85 take-off and landing cycles. Superair have three of them now and are about to bring a fourth one online. It was a crashed (Bingara) survey plane they have stripped and rebuilt with a brand new engine. Phil will be flying it next time we see him and UFI will be going in for some serious maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...
The new factory built XL on the members market didn't last long, SOLD already.

The factory VG-XL has (I quote from the advertisement) "extensive factory corrosion protection". What is different from the factory corrosion protection and the kit version, I wonder?

Nothing that can't be done as you build the kit, They etch prime everything in addition to applying the black jointing compound. It obviously takes a lot longer and adds to the cost and weight but will help operators in highly corrosive environments to operate longer between corrosion maintenance. For flight schools who can't spend a lot of time washing salt off their planes it should help!

That cresco that crash I helped to dismantle when superair came and took it away. It is a great machine. Was a bit bent though when it came down and the right wing was torn off. Alec

That would have been good experience Alec, By the time it comes out of the Superair shop in Armidale it will be just like new. John has just about finished a brand new loader truck to go with it too, they were just doing the engineering inspection of the dual steering and the fuel tanker installation and it is done.

Nothing that can't be done as you build the kit, They etch prime everything in addition to applying the black jointing compound. It obviously takes a lot longer and adds to the cost and weight but will help operators in highly corrosive environments to operate longer between corrosion maintenance. For flight schools who can't spend a lot of time washing salt off their planes it should help!

You wonder how much weight it adds to the plane to etch prime every part? There must be some figures somewhere??

• 3 weeks later...