NATFLY 2013 - REPORTS AND COMMENTS

Captain

Hey there guys, I was there Friday and departed Saturday morning... My departure was a tad embarrassing as the good old Minicab didn't appreciate being left out in the cold and subsequently did not want to start! I eventually got her going without incident (thanks to all who lent or offered a hand!) and left on my merry way. I had a short stop-over at Cootamundra to refuel and experience a new airstrip and then continued back to Goulburn via Yass and Gunning on Visual Freeway Reference.

Cheers again! - boingk

Hi boingk

That Minicab looks awfully familiar. Was it once owned by Peter Johnson at Euroa?

Kaz

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Geoff,Putting the photo's up and yours and everyone elses comments has given me some normality while sitting here in the desert, would loved to have gone to Natfly but work becons and work pays for my pride and joy amongst other things.

Muchly appreciated looked like a lot of fun and the weather was reasonable fair on you all who attended.

Cheers

Alf

Which desert are you in Alf? I'm on a Station not far from Windorah for a couple months...

Hi boingkThat Minicab looks awfully familiar. Was it once owned by Peter Johnson at Euroa?

Kaz

Not that I know of, but then again it does seem to be a fairly well known aircraft. I had a lot of people at Natfly compliment me on it and say that they'd either seen or flown it previously.

Cheers - boingk

Now the dust has settled , what is the general consensus from those that attended re the attendance figures and the number of exhibitors this year ? ..David

Judging by the comments IB made and the sale they're having, it looks like a disappointing turnout again this year. I can't speak for anyone else, but what deterred me was the distance and the iffy weather at this time of the year.

G'day All,

I went to the AGM, though a tad late as I was too busy wandering around sticky beaking & forgot (didn't set the alarm:( - old age does that,....... so I'm told..

Finances were covered by the interim Treasurer, who was well across all details. He disclosed all aspects of where RAAus is at. Not so good, not so bad.

The new bloke has a job to do & lets let him do it.

Captain Rat & his mate the Lawyer (Spencer?) are presenting to the Board a new Management structure for RAAus, more business/Corporate in style as opposed

to what seems to be the current "local Club" format where everyone is trying to do everything, therefore being overloaded & nothing being done.

This would allow for better delegation of duties amongst the Board & the Admin personnel, realistically reducing workload

The Rat is quite right in saying that RAAus is too big for the Club style of operation where everyone does everything.

There needs to be a proper management structure.

This would free the President/Secratary to deal with matters more appropriate for them, such as concentrating on important CASA meetings.

It would also free Board Members, as the NEW GM would be in a position to delegate to people that are appropriate to handle different areas.

This would affect & streamline the whole Technical & Admin operations, as well, that are currently in operation.

The GM has a big task ahead to achieve all of this grand picture.

I would prefer for MrRat to present his information directly as a second hand brief can bend the information the wrong way

(especially from me where this is way out of my area)

The New Tech Manager spoke of 400+ aircraft affected by the latest CASA audits. He said that yes they are behind but also out of the 400, 60+ people had

been advised of what was required but so far no response. I forget the figure but another large portion , letters had been sent & should have received them by now.

They are working hard & are catching up with the backlog but it is difficult currently with only one person qualified by CASA to sign off on the Rego.

He also advised that often the phone calls taken delayed the flow of work but he was putting in place procedures to overcome this.

His advice was, if Rego is due just supply all documents again, much quicker than RAAus ringing/contacting to say such & such is missing.

The more electronic the faster it will be to follow through for now & the future.

Obviously they will go electronic & get away from the antiquated paper system currently in place & he is working on that for the future.

As mentioned in above posts, the President needs to learn the protocols of running an AGM, particularly when a Motion is put forward.

It did seem that the President & Secretary tended to hog the mic - hopefully the future will be different as the new structure moves in.

I thought the bloke who seconded a motion at the end of the meeting had it right. He only seconded it to make the President follow through with the motion, rather than talk it away.

The New GM had little time to speak. Maybe more thought into the time frame available to hold an AGM at NATFLY needs to be done - they always over run & people were leaving.

When he spoke he was drowned out by the Aerobatic performance of Paul Bennets Pitts screaming through its manoeuvres. (They had delayed this by quite a lot of time)

He tried to pause between the noise but it was a lost cause.

About all he could say was he was only 3 days into the job & was looking forward to fixing what was being presented to him & he would be very busy doing it.

RAAus are currently in a transitional phase, we all need to give them some space to work it out, it won't be quick or easy but I think it is heading in the right direction.

Thanks to people like Geoff Kidd who stick their necks out to help fix it for all of us slackers... thanks MrRat

Well that's my opinion

Cheers

H

PS:

This Year

People & aircraft down a bit - maybe weather, the current Rego situation, Ramp checks (you shouldn't be in a position to worry about that if you are serious about flying)

Talk of distance - well wouldn't matter where it's held, to someone distance is a factor. Take a holiday & do it.

Not as many stalls but that comes about when people don't turn up.

Layout wasn't so bad, it was localised, just needed more.

I still had a great time & met lots of new people

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

I would prefer for MrRat to present his information directly as a second hand brief can bend the information the wrong way...

...Thanks to people like Geoff Kidd who stick their necks out to help fix it for all of us slackers... thanks MrRat

Thanks Mr H you are the first break ranks and let on a little of what Geoff had to say, I fully agree with you that my preference would be to hear what Geoff had to say from his own hand rather than a second hand account from someone else perspective.

Again Geoff surely your presentation was prepared in advance of the meeting and again I ask, please post the text so the rest of us may understand what you are proposing, don't be shy, it sounds like you are hitting the mark with the members who were present. I for one am ready to hear something of your positve plan for rebuilding the damaged goods which has become our organisation! Steve H...

• 2 weeks later...

For those who wanted to go to NATFLY & couldn't, here's a video with a bit of an overview for you.

Spitfire flyby sounded great (5.5mins in). Other videos on youtube should fill the bits I missed.

Cheers

H

• Like 7

Well done Mr H!!!!!. Great film of my little beast at 10.41. Thank you...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Hey Robinsm, your little beast got better coverage in last years video...

Cheers

H