Flight in Class D Airspace

What are the requirements for flight of an RAAus registered airplane into Class D airspace.

What I want to find out are the pilot qualifications and the airplane equipment needs to operate from Camden Airport (or similar in your State).

OME

the pilot needs to have a PPL. I don't think transponder is required for the plane for class D, which can be RAA or GA, but radio is required.

Bankstown is also class D, and I can only fly out of it with my instructor which is why I have to go to Wollongong to solo. I have often wondered why they put an RAA school at Bankstown, but they seem to do well. Camden would be the same.

The normal CTA requirements with a few exceptions. Camden has an RAA school with an exemption (Daves) from the PPL requirement. But a medical is required. So you can fly from there in a suitably equipped aeroplane with a class 2 medical and an endorsement from the CFI. There is a few places that have s similar arrangement but Bankstown is not one of them.

There is also an RAA endorsement for controlled airspace. I have one for Jandakot (which is Class D), where I completed my Nav training. Once signed off by the CFI, I could fly solo in and out of Jandakot (and only Jandakot - couldn't fly into other control zones). The endorsement itself was just a handwritten entry in my logbook.

From http://flysafe.raa.asn.au/regulations/regulations.html#cao

"Class C and D controlled airspace is not available to recreational pilots who do not also hold a valid pilot licence that allows flight inside such airspace, a current aeroplane flight review and at least a class 2 medical certificate; except if there a legal exemption instrument in place for a particular control zone that facilitates access by the student pilot certificate holders of a particular RA-Aus resident flight school. Those student pilots must also have a valid class 2 medical certificate. For flight in Class A airspace, the pilot of a recreational aircraft must seek and receive written permission from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority for the flight. "

The PDF at the 'legal exemption instrument' link didn't download, so I expect there is further digging to do.

Incidentally, I find controlled airspace much easier to fly in than uncontrolled - just do what the tower tells you, and keep a good lookout. Jandakot is particularly busy in the weekends, so my eyes were on stalks and I got a sore neck from all the head swiveling! Good thing a SportStar has good vis!

Mal

the pilot needs to have a PPL. I don't think transponder is required for the plane for class D, which can be RAA or GA, but radio is required.Bankstown is also class D, and I can only fly out of it with my instructor which is why I have to go to Wollongong to solo. I have often wondered why they put an RAA school at Bankstown, but they seem to do well. Camden would be the same.

There is also Daves Flying School, (02) 4657 2771 or 0414 740 766, at The Oaks 15 min SW of Camden - total GSpace - just get in and fly!!!

A 'heads up' - CASA had notified of an NPRM (was mooted for fitment by Feb 2014) for fitment of Transponders (mode S or C ) for Class D airspace - this may now be later than that IMO however it's better to be forewarned in case your panel needs space for one. There are some remote mount units on the market too if panel space is an issue.

2014 date is for aircraft newly on the Australian register or replacements of existing units. I guess the important thing to consider is that mode A should not be fitted any more.

Be careful with the nprm, most of the provisions apply only to aircraft operating under IFR

PPL with airspace endorsement , radio, certified engine, not sure if the RPL is happening yet but might be allowed although the class 2 medical is a part of the PPL bit not the RPL

Minor point. The engine doesn't need to be certified, but it has to be an approved type.

rgmwa

• Caution 1

2014 date is for aircraft newly on the Australian register or replacements of existing units. I guess the important thing to consider is that mode A should not be fitted any more.Be careful with the nprm, most of the provisions apply only to aircraft operating under IFR

here we go blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif from the document I have "carriage of a Transponder (Mode s or Mode A/C for flight in Class D airspace from February 2014" underline is my emphasis 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif NO specific reference to RA Aus registered or GA aircraft (just indicated all aircraft) and further info -- " existing exemptions for aircraft that cannot power a transponder will continue to apply".

If you have any other definitive info then I'd like to hear it because that would indicate confusion within the regulatory ranks, then all bets are off - that situation wouldn't surprise me 086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

PM me if you like.

Suitably corrected Jake, Im confusing the ifr transponder provisions with the general carriage provisions you list.

Yeah, you had me worried for a minute, I do this work for a living & thought something had changed yet again 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I was under the impression you couild fly in controlled airspace with a drivers licence medical certificate. That is not a class 2 medical.

Possibly Yenn under the new RPL rules perhaps. Im not sure. I have only ever seen "class 2 medical' required but thats not from the rules, only from other places.

I have been told [hearsay so take it for what it is worth] that the drivers lic medical for a PPL is not much different to a class 2 medical only that it can be done by a GP i.e. doesn't have to be done by a DAME. I can't talk from experience as I still do a Class 1 medical for other reasons but am interested to hear other actual experiences as age and a class 1 don't always go together.

I opted for a motor vehicle medical this time around. This medical will be sufficient to get me into controlled airspace with a PPL. It does limit me to one passenger and planes less than 1500kg in GA planes. I can carry more passengers if I have a safety pilot with a class 1 or 2 medical. there are other conditions but these are the biggies.

I've got a Class 3 medical as it suits my needs.

I thought that there was some sort of endorsement that would allow an RAAus pilot operate in Class D as long as the airplane carried appropriate equipment.

Here's some stupid things about this:

Camden's Class D airspace is a circle with a 2 NM radius, so the controllers can see everywhere in the three circuits.

There is no radar system at Camden used by controllers, so a transponder can squawk all it likes and no one will see it.

One can fly a VH- reg Jabiru all day in the airspace, but one can't fly the same make and model Jabiru if it is 24- reg and one only has an RAAus certificate when the tower id operating (and it's daylight, of course)

OME

I have been told [hearsay so take it for what it is worth] that the drivers lic medical for a PPL is not much different to a class 2 medical only that it can be done by a GP i.e. doesn't have to be done by a DAME. I can't talk from experience as I still do a Class 1 medical for other reasons but am interested to hear other actual experiences as age and a class 1 don't always go together.

This rumour has been getting around a bit. CASA stand at Natfly was answering RPL questions almost non-stop for two full days and had this exact question several times (I was on the stand next door...). Drivers licence medical is nothing like a Class 2. A local DAME at Goulburn airport brought one out to show us all. It's a very short form where the doctor simply signs off that you are fit to drive a motor vehicle. There are a couple of extra requirements on there about a couple of specific things but basically you can be pretty happy that if you can drive to the airport you'll pass the drivers licence medical.