Rotax E type Gearbox 'chattering noise'

Dear All,

I have a Rotax E type gearbox fitted to my 582cc engine. I notice that at certain RPM's I can hear (what I can describe as a) "gear chattering" noise, very prodominant at 3500RPM but less and intermittent at other RPM's, it has been doing this for quite sometime now. I have also fully stripped the gearbox to visually inspect each part with no obvious signs of wear/damage and checked end float & run out to be good.

I'm interested to hear whether if you have/had a similar experience and if this is normal or anything to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance

Dennis

Guest Andys@coffs
Dear All,I have a Rotax E type gearbox fitted to my 582cc engine. I notice that at certain RPM's I can hear (what I can describe as a) "gear chattering" noise, very prodominant at 3500RPM but less and intermittent at other RPM's, it has been doing this for quite sometime now. I have also fully stripped the gearbox to visually inspect each part with no obvious signs of wear/damage and checked end float & run out to be good.

I'm interested to hear whether if you have/had a similar experience and if this is normal or anything to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance

Dennis

Denis

What Trike? Airborne? and what prop, still the original Brolga, or a Bolly?

Andy

DenisWhat Trike? Airborne? and what prop, still the original Brolga, or a Bolly?

Andy

Thanks Andy, yes it's an airborne edge X trike with a standard 4 blade brolga 68" 17 degree prop

No experience but I know some of them run a slipper clutch and slipper clutches can get pretty noisy so Google that maybe?Hmm I just Googled it and got a few examples such as this one ...

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=794

ok thanks for your input, yeah mine doesn't have a slipper clutch though

Ozzie, stuff a piece of steel into a meter or so of garden or fuel hose, put to your ear and start touching the steel around the engine finding exactly where the noise is coming from.

Very dangerous of course, don't concentrate so much that you and the prop connect and that's why the hose rather than a screwdriver, so you can keep some distance.

Ozzie, stuff a piece of steel into a meter or so of garden or fuel hose, put to your ear and start touching the steel around the engine finding exactly where the noise is coming from.Very dangerous of course, don't concentrate so much that you and the prop connect and that's why the hose rather than a screwdriver, so you can keep some distance.

Thanks for the tip, noise is definitely coming from the gearbox as it was previously fitted to my older grey top with the same symptoms.