Video: Just Aircraft's SuperSTOL

fly_tornado

I wonder IF the concept is better than the long term reality. He's got the wheels well forward, so you can stomp on the brakes.( Anyone can do that to a plane ) But what it does to the planes groundlooping tendencies would be significant. Nev

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

Facto, the SS4 storch is the same and has no tendency to want to chase it's tail at all. Or stand on it's nose under heavy braking either, as long as you start with the tailwheel on the ground........................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Aw common goddammit...lets see that turkey fly.!!!.....they all look good sitting on the ground at an airshow now don't they !!!....................................................Maj...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif 100_please.gif.86b3bfbc115b0271e90584d59019e59a.gif

I haven't groundlooped by myself yet and don't wish to. The Carbon Cub offers a forward placed U/C option. One version of the DH-82 had it. (when brakes were fitted) It Does make them more difficult to handle. So does a small rudder, or a shielded one. Having the wheels in front of the CofG makes this happen. ( An inevitable feature of tailwheel aeroplanes). Nev

• Agree 2

I wonder IF the concept is better than the long term reality. He's got the wheels well forward, so you can stomp on the brakes.( Anyone can do that to a plane ) But what it does to the planes groundlooping tendencies would be significant. Nev

In the video the wheels do look further forward than they really are. In the pic of the Superstol below you can see they are in the usual place for taildraggers i.e. axle directly below the leading edge when in level attitude.

342305107_justaircraftsuperstol.jpg.1088a9b6fea3b3dc9282557226814e2e.jpg

I have watched that video about 10 times previously....the more you watch it the more you want one the only issue is that it isnt that fast in cruise but for outback ops or any close in work it would be outstanding.

yeah, might be slow but thats just more time you spend flying and enjoying it. Although you would be taking any opportunity just to land so you could take of and do it again and again and...!

• Agree 1

I just looked at the specs again they have changed they now quote 130mph VNE and 110 mph cruise...that is very good actually it was less than that before ....that isnt on the superstol as there seems to be no specs on that but anything around 90 to 95kts is great you can still go somewhere. My concern is the cabin size I think it maybe still a bit squeeze for big buggars like me and a pax....need to see one in the flesh.........ok someone buy the kit and I wiil put it together ......I want to build another aircraft I dont have the spare bucks or a benevolent relative

Does anyone know how many highlanders there are out here in OZ wether VH or RAA rego? It would be nice to see one in the flesh as the only difference is the wing

• Agree 1

I just looked at the specs again they have changed they now quote 130mph VNE and 110 mph cruise...that is very good actually it was less than that before ....that isnt on the superstol as there seems to be no specs on that but anything around 90 to 95kts is great you can still go somewhere. My concern is the cabin size I think it maybe still a bit squeeze for big buggars like me and a pax....need to see one in the flesh.........ok someone buy the kit and I wiil put it together ......I want to build another aircraft I dont have the spare bucks or a benevolent relativeDoes anyone know how many highlanders there are out here in OZ wether VH or RAA rego? It would be nice to see one in the flesh as the only difference is the wing

Dunno if I read your post correctly Mark, but 110mph is about 60kts I think - you can go nowhere real fast at 55-60kts, as I can confirm in the Thruster:smile:

Pud

You read it wrong Pud your thinking of KPH not MPH130 mph = 113 kts and 110 mph is 95 kts 60 kts is 111 Kph

Too true Mark! I thought about it for some time before posting.... And still got it wrong.

Oh well.........

Pud

Guest Maj Millard

If somebody wants to buy one, I'd be available to built the kit as long as I got to do a bit of flying in it ...............................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I am actually looking at getting one, but not in a position for a while yet. but will happily take you up on that offer! only rule is, if im going to buy something like that, then it will be banned from anything resembling a runway 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• 2 weeks later...