Hirth still in Australia?

G'day all

Can anybody shed any light on the question as to whether Hirth Engines are still represented in Australia. I can't find any lead on the web, although some searches lead to our friends at Brumby Aircraft at Cowra but we know they have never been involved with Hirth.

The last reference I can recall was to a company at Archerfield, I think. That was many years ago though, possibly as many as 15!

I have a hangar mate with a need to rebuild his 2706, after a partial seizure.

As a related question, I note that the 2706 was replaced in the Hirth line-up by the 3203. While the 3203 is advertised as putting out 65 hp v. the 2706's 60 hp, I note that it has identical displacement, stroke and compression ratio. This suggests a possiblity that 3203 cylinders and pistons might fit the 2706 crankcase etc. Anybody know if this is so?

Thanks

• 1 year later...
G'day allCan anybody shed any light on the question as to whether Hirth Engines are still represented in Australia. I can't find any lead on the web, although some searches lead to our friends at Brumby Aircraft at Cowra but we know they have never been involved with Hirth.

The last reference I can recall was to a company at Archerfield, I think. That was many years ago though, possibly as many as 15!

I have a hangar mate with a need to rebuild his 2706, after a partial seizure.

As a related question, I note that the 2706 was replaced in the Hirth line-up by the 3203. While the 3203 is advertised as putting out 65 hp v. the 2706's 60 hp, I note that it has identical displacement, stroke and compression ratio. This suggests a possiblity that 3203 cylinders and pistons might fit the 2706 crankcase etc. Anybody know if this is so?

Thanks

I brought a motor three years ago a. 3203 it seized after 4 hours .I live in Australia the dealers are all gone that I know off it's a shame I need piston and rings and a new barrel have to send to states for the parts but has good service he sent me the updated fan version as they had problems with them they cost nearly $400. But search www.recpower.com steve

• Like 1

I think that you will find that there is a significant difference between the 2706 and the 3203 .. the 3203 has reed induction and the carburetor/intake has moved from the cylinder wall to the sump. Hirth in Germany will sell new engines and parts directly to individuals in Australia .. but they appear not as keen to support their older engines .. there have been a lot of changes/improvements to their engines in recent years and they would much rather sell you a new engine. Oregon Aircraft Designs in the USA appear to be very experienced in the repair/maintenance of older hirth engines.

• Helpful 2

IMO...there is an opening there for a distributor who is willing to put a bit of work into "selling" the brand. From my experience over the years on these forums they don't seem popular...and I have heard negative reports. Seems to me a shame...and something that really needs to be looked at again because it doesn't appear to me that another serious Rotax 2 stroke alternative exists...

I emailed Hirth in Germany recently asking for price & delivery details to Australia and did not receive a reply.

This is a shame, as I believe they do some good engines. But seems they don't want Australian custom?

My recent experience with Hirth Germany was quite different ..I was provided with a price list and they seemed quite keen to sell engines into Australia to individuals ..

• Like 1