EOI for a Welding course

Putting the feelers out there to see if there would be any interest from members to attend a Welding course that would be held in Canberra.

Primarily we are looking at TIG welding with an intro to MIG and OXY. What we are looking at is a 3 day course Fri - Sun, Late September or early October. Max class of 12. We are chatting at the moment with the provider regarding specific details. If we have enough interest we may be able to negotiate a rate with a local Motel or the like.

Quite clearly your not going to be a proficient welder after 3 days but hope to gain enough knowledge and a little practice to send us on the right track so we can carry on at home.

If you think you may be keen, let me know.

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Scotty,I'm in if it gets off the ground and can provide you a bed at our house for the weekend (comes with beer, piet talk and a workshop to hang out in) 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Phil

Sounds fantastic!

Do you need any instructors?

Well I believe we are doing it through the TAFE there so I assume they are providing them. In saying that the more the merrier! I guess we want to aim it more towards Aviation so if you have those skills we would love to have you on board. The more we can cram in 3 days the better. Primarily I would like to see TIG welding of Chrome Moly.

I am not the primary organiser but offered to put the EOI out here to see what response we get back.

Putting the feelers out there to see if there would be any interest from members to attend a Welding course that would be held in Canberra.G'day BBoy,

Although I'm in SA ;I'm in if it goes ahead! A bit of tuition is what I need to fix my technique so far!! Yuk!( 013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif)

Thanks Frosty. Yes we want it to be a fun educational weekend. No pressure from anyone. Just get in together and have a good time and learn something. Your Number five so seven spots left.

Ok...information is coming through from the provider. We are looking at a 3 day course. Fri - Sun. The total cost to provide the course is $4950. Max number is 12 students. Will be concentrating on TIG welding 4130 chrome moly from basics upwards. They provide materials but each student needs to provide personal protective gear. The trainer has asked that each student give a brief insight in to their experience so the course can be tailored so each student gets the most out of it for their personal level.

We would like to have at least 10 students so the cost would be around $500 each. If we get the 12 it will be slightly less per student. We currently have six interested. As most will be from out of town, we are going to try and obtain a special package with a Motel close by. Apparently the college is close to Canberra airport. To allow people to obtain the cheapest airfares we would like to look at running the course late September early October.

What are folks thoughts now we have this information? I know I made inquiries here in Tamworth and to do a very basic arc and MIG welding course at the TAFE, I was looking at $800 and it being spread over several weeks. What we are aiming to provide is a 3 day block focusing on TIG welding chrome moly 4130 metal which is the basis for what we use when building aircraft parts.

Scott, I'm a definite starter. Welding background is I did a lot of welding 20 years ago as trade - metal fab, light and heavy plate and pipework withTIG, MIG, MMA and oxy. Sadly haven't done much in recent times. A bit of oxy and mma but not much.

Phil

Hiya Phil...no problems. We need at least 10 starters to make it cost effective so if you know of anyone else who may benefit, let them and me know. We are up to 6 as of now.

Scotty

080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Hopefully they would do a little gas welding as well as TIG, that would be nice. But I understand with three days it's better to learn something well than have only an overview of different techniques.

Hiya Gnu...yes I proposed that also but with 3 days, its going to be too rushed. In saying that, if they have the gear there we may be able to sort something.

OK..had confirmation from the provider. There will be 12 Welding machines and tools available so everyone would have a machine so your not standing around watching others. It will be very hands on. If any one is keen we suggest you obtain the TIG welding DVD from the EAA. This is a great learning tool and you will get a lot out of it and will serve well as an introduction before we attend the course. We want 10 attendees to make it cost effective at $500 a person. We can take 12 which will make it slightly cheaper for everyone. No one is making any money on this by organising it. We are passing on the exact cost as quoted to us. We are also looking at getting a deal at a Motel close to the Airport and provider. If you book your tickets early enough it may be worth flying in to Canberra. We have 6 people from around the country keen at this stage.

Scotty,

I have a mate in Canberra who would be keen on doing the TIG course but he's not available school holidays 20 Sep -07 Oct. Was this the period you were thinking for the course??

Phil

Scotty,I have a mate in Canberra who would be keen on doing the TIG course but he's not available school holidays 20 Sep -07 Oct. Was this the period you were thinking for the course??

Phil

Hi Phil..yes it is! Its going to be hard to settle on a date to suit everyone. The college needs it to be in a holiday period as the course has been designed for us and is not a part of their regular offerings. I dont want to make it any earlier as the airfares will be too pricey. We are going to have to lock it in soon so we can sort airfares. We have a couple of folk who have expressed interest from around the country so need to allow for travel.

You can put me down for the course Bubbleboy. I'm located in Canberra.Cheers

Hi Harv...no problem at all. Great to have you on board! Your number seven! We are locking in dates right now so will have that info very soon.

I'm not going to be there - too far away - but I've been doing TIG welding for a couple of years now and it's a very good thing to learn.

Hi Bill..yes I have always wanted to learn TIG and now is a good time with building the Pietenpol. Where are you located?