Any suggestions for scenic flights within 100nm of Goulburn?

As a low time pilot with my recent RAAus Nav and PAX endorsement, I wish to take my 84 year old (and partially disabled) Mum on some scenic trips within about 100nm radius around Goulburn over a 12 day visit (from Queensland). She is very keen to go on some trips, but has never been in a light aircraft before and so I will start small and gradually work up to some longer trips and see how she goes.

I don't wish to go over too much tiger country (which unfortunately seems to be where all the scenery is). My plan so far is (all these places I have been before except Wollongong / Batemans Bay / Tuross Head):

1. Goulburn training area - Lake Bathurst - Goulburn sightseeing

2. Goulburn – Crookwell – Gunning - Goulburn

3. Goulburn - Wollongong - Mittagong - Goulburn

4. Goulburn - Cowra - Young - Gundagai - Lake Burrinjuck - Goulburn

5. Goulburn – Moruya - Batemans Bay - Tuross Head - Moruya - Goulburn

Any suggestions?

Eric

Not necessarily picturesque (or very far) but I love flying over Woodlawn mine and the wind farm. Currandooley homestead is quite the manor and Lake George still has some water in it too...

Not necessarily picturesque (or very far) but I love flying over Woodlawn mine and the wind farm. Currandooley homestead is quite the manor and Lake George still has some water in it too...

Hi 68volksy, thanks for the suggestions. I may have to talk to my instructor to work out how to avoid controlled airspace and maintain step separation around Lake George and fly at a safe height. My understanding is that I would need to keep 2 nm from the step boundary between 2001-5000 feet. Looks a bit tricky to me. Eric

Guest Howard Hughes
Thanks for the suggestion HH, but what do you mean by "On number 3, keep going North to Victor one!"?

If you go to Wollongong, keep going up the coast and do the Victor one scenic up to Sydney! A little further than you asked for, but perfect on a nice autumn morning. The details are in the link I posted (from page 58 onwards), have fun! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

The details are in the link I posted (from page 58 onwards), have fun! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thank you. The link did not work for me, but I found the document on the CASA site. That route looks awesome and I would love to do it. I would need to drag my instructor along for the first time (at least). Thanks a lot. Eric

Eric,

I recently flew YGLB Nerriga Touga Tallong (diversion) YGLB, nice and compact. Look out for YSNW restricted areas but plenty of good cues along the route.

id say victor one, but I can see what your leaning on in your pic, so not advised. (and watch that prop, you will lose your arm)

Victor one is a great flight, but a bit short on spots to put down into if the fan stops, it is a top trip to do though.

Hi mate, a good run to Bathurst and back is nice and takes you over some good country. I'd recommend heading via Taralga and then checking out the old mines to the Northeast of Taralga before continuing on to Bathurst and Oberon.

Mount Panorama looks great from the air and Bathurst welcome light aircraft with no landing fees attached, if you feel like stretching your legs. There is fantastic scenery north of Bathurst as it gets mountainous West of Sydney and really is great to look at on a clear, sunny day.

Cheers - boingk