gear box oil

ausadvance

Gday guys,

Well I must admit, how much of a luxury it was to have my plane in Waynes hangar is really starting to show now he has gone. With so any maintenance works that needed doing on my aircraft, I learnt to be so reliant on to putting my aircraft away, and coming back to find the magic drifter fairies had sorted everything out!

So I'm now in need of a simple change of oil for my gear box, but even though I know the style of oil I need does anyone have any recommendations? what do you guys run through your aircraft? Never had to sort it out before, so now its time to learn!

Guest Maj Millard

Timbo, I used to use Castrol outboard gear oil SAE 90. Remove the lower of the side plugs, and fill at top until it flows out of lower hole..approx 100 Mls is all from memory.......................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Timbo,I've just done a gbox oil change on my 582 & the rotax manual says to use either SAE 140 EP or 85W 140 EP.I used the Castrol 85W as it's been in this engine for 780 hrs & wear seems minimal.Cheer's,Zyg.