Avocet flys again

AVOCET

Sorry about the bad photos , ill take some more tomorrow with the prop on & the cowels,

What looks like a spinner is a 30 amp alt that bolts onto the vac pump attach spline on the 3300 . Not the belt version , this leaves the jabiru alt intact for a backup .

Yes it's got a new turret , got some help from an aeronautical engineer to design the basic structure , but it's just like a wing on its edge with a spar , a lot better looking than my first attemp

Cheers mike

• Informative 1

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike

I would imagine you would have the molds for the Avocet. That is one nice looking aircraft. Do you have flying specs you could relate on here please. Cabin width dimensions would be good as well. I am sure there would be others interested in building a few of them. What is the empty weight?

Thanks! When I studied programming, interface design and "don't make me think" sofdware were important aspects of software design. With todays dumbed down programming the simplest things can become a real pain in the bum. Anyway, here's a picture of that Avocet at Gawler. By the way, Avocet is an aboriginal name for a bird that crashes into trees when landing. (Not really, that's a joke). Glad Mike has not suffered any permanent serious injury. P.S. If you rub out the engine, the plane has really nice lines, a tribute to the designer.

avocet.JPG.383e3b4b3afb8df83aa07ecb05a295aa.JPG

• Like 1

Yes , there are 25 moulds for the fusalerge & vertical stab , I've used the jabiru 250 wings and undercarriage , wing struts are theirs but 30 mm longer , also had to have control cables made to length ,

Cabin width is 50" & with the rounded fusalerge & has plenty of elbow room , 8 inches between pilot & passenger ,

Duel control columns ,throttle in the center .

Fuel injected , liquid cooled ,dynon skyview,

Cruise 105 kt at 2950 rpm ,22 lt/hr stall 42kt MTOW empty weight 375kg .

62" wood prop ( Brent Thompson , only one I could get to make a pusher , does a great job)

The take off & landing are pretty much the same as a j230

• Like 1

Avocet , an aboriginal name for a bird that crashes into trees when landing .

My wife an I carnt stop laughing

That's funny ,:roflmao:we'll done .

Why carnt come out with stuff like that ?008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Yes , there are 25 moulds for the fusalerge & vertical stab , I've used the jabiru 250 wings and undercarriage , wing struts are theirs but 30 mm longer , also had to have control cables made to length ,Cabin width is 50" & with the rounded fusalerge & has plenty of elbow room , 8 inches between pilot & passenger ,

Duel control columns ,throttle in the center .

Fuel injected , liquid cooled ,dynon skyview,

Cruise 105 kt at 2950 rpm ,22 lt/hr stall 42kt MTOW empty weight 375kg .

62" wood prop ( Brent Thompson , only one I could get to make a pusher , does a great job)

The take off & landing are pretty much the same as a j230

G'Day Mike,

Pleased to hear that you are making progress with your project again. I can see many uses for this type of aircraft, especially for farm, station owners, mustering etc.

I can just imagine loading the bike in the bay and away you go.

A question. Did you consider the 230 wing? Or was this just a budget decision?

I have been meaning to call in for a while now for a cuppa, will put on agenda soon.

I have a few stone chips after my latest trip to WA. Do you have a bit of paint to spare?

Regards

Phil.

Hi Phil , good to hear from you , I've got an insurance job at the moment so ill have a bit of materhorn white jabiru .

I painted the avocet with materhorn white Cessna , it slightly creamier , and not as glairy as the jab paint , come over for a cuppa and I can do some touch ups for you .

The 250 wing can lift a lot more weight than the 230 wing and has a lower stall speed 38 kt

They are prity much the same price

Cheers Mike

The Avocet looks to be the ideal platform for a twin - wing mounted engines. It would be a very pretty aircraft and would really perform.

Yes I agree , it's possible to modify the 250 wing to mount engine pods , however as a tractor the prop arch's a bit close to the cockpit , same with the turret mounted tractor ( this my original design , but the prop arch was right over the top of you head ,not a good sales piont !)

So as a twin IDE go for a pusher setup ,

Could be 2x rotax , or D motors , or 2x 2200 liquid cooled ,

It's a great idea , just need some one to put up the $$ (maybe a few more ) and we are off , any time your ready ,

Cheers ,mike

But the wings are too short for a glider.

That's on my short list , needs a lighter fuse ,

One waiting for the batteries to get cheeper & lighter , & more reliable ,

I was thinking the tractor arrangement would work well for c/g. The prop arc of many twins seems close to the cabin.

I guess they are , but most twins are a lot bigger than the avocet , so they would seem a lot closer , I've set it out & you carnt even get out of the door without passing through the prop arch .

I've had a look at the c/g and it will work as a pusher , better assametrics as well .

Pushers work well ,especially with liquid cooling,

I guess they are , but most twins are a lot bigger than the avocet , so they would seem a lot closer , I've set it out & you carnt even get out of the door without passing through the prop arch .I've had a look at the c/g and it will work as a pusher , better assametrics as well .

Pushers work well ,especially with liquid cooling,

How about this configuration?

Hi Phil , good to hear from you , I've got an insurance job at the moment so ill have a bit of materhorn white jabiru .I painted the avocet with materhorn white Cessna , it slightly creamier , and not as glairy as the jab paint , come over for a cuppa and I can do some touch ups for you .

The 250 wing can lift a lot more weight than the 230 wing and has a lower stall speed 38 kt

They are prity much the same price

Cheers Mike

Thanks, will be in contact

Phil

How about this configuration?

Yes, I saw this up in bundy , theres no danger to pilot /pass.the avocets got a different wing position , it would make pilot & pas. And engines in front of the leading edge , even so the twin jabs need a fair bit of tail ballast I would think .

The original accident pics shows the prop in a pusher config... To me the prop flange now appears on the front of the donk in the single faired image..(tractor config)??

I for one wouldn't want to fly something with the prop directly over my head. Has to be a pusher. I do wonder about the leverage in pitch the motor has but.

• Caution 1

• 3 weeks later...

Started taxi tests yesterday , did a few hops today , I need to tune the engine TBI , seems to start running rough at full power ,

The multipoint SDS runs good at full power ,but I accidentally de programmed the fuel ratio at lower revs , ill have to fly it to Goollwah to have it reprogrammed .

Cheers Mike

image.jpg.add0796236f2418bbb2ce00c1494ea24.jpg

image.jpg.91f699c88d4bf2d4bd4d63ce1f206a9c.jpg

image.jpg.4eca0e223cc877c5b31753564f8e6fe8.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Some photos of what's been happening[ATTACH]22365[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22366[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22368[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22369[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22365[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22366[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22368[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]22369[/ATTACH]

how is the gum tree doing?

At least now you can claim it has been satisfactorily crash-tested.

I suggest a marketing slogan along the lines of "No animals or crash test dummies were harmed in the testing of this product"

dodo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Maj Millard

I can see it making a great amphibian, as in you drawings. The engine is in the right place, the tail is up high out of the water , and the foward cabin design would lend itseft to gull wing type doors, similar to those on the Republic Seabee.....Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif