Learning a Second Plane

I have just began learning to fly a second model of airplane. The plane I got my license with was a low wing and the new one I am learning is a high wing. While cruising the new plane seems more stable and easier to fly. The biggest issue I am having is with take off's and landings. It literally feels like I am relearning both in this plane. I am curious if this a typical experience, or if its dependent on how similiar the new model of plane you are flying?

Guest steve-nz

Interesting question this one, and one that has come to mind for me.

I am opposite to you, I learnt in my Jabiru UL 450 - done about 55 hours now and got my intermediate license, and about to purchase a Alpi 200 - wondering what it will be like changing to that one.

The Jabiru is centre stick, so fly left seat right hand, where as the Alpi is duel stick, left seat, left hand....

It can be when your just starting out but the more different types you fly the easier it is, apart from how it behaves in the air I like to just sit quietly and learn where everything is , and read the POH, its the best way to get on top of a new type.

With checklist my instructor taught me off a written list to start with but then moved onto a set system that works for every aircraft.

Try and get your bum into as many different types as possible, it is challenging but also builds confidence and you soon realise that they are all vaguely the same ,

Cheers Met

All depends on the plane, and saying that, I'm not trying to state the obvious. I learnt in a drifter, then flew in a few jabs, a few navs in a pioneer Hawk 200 low wing and now regularly in a Tecnam.

The fact is, some are quite simply easier to land than others and where the wings were located didn't really matter, as you should be looking ahead at landing time and can to a fair degree feel your way during the flare to a nice touchdown. (This is probably a horrible way to illustrate things, but I can only speak for myself in this case)

As for the stick changing from right to left handed, now you've found my kryptonite.... The fact that a/c like tecnams have a centre throttle and a left hand throttle make things infinitely easier, as you can fly the way you are used to, and gradually get used to a left stick right throttle along the way!

The differences bother you as much as you let them. This might sound a little harsh, but all 3 axis aeroplanes are basically the same to operate. Don't forget that instructors get from one seat to the other in many different planes ( I've done 5 in a day. If you "cock" it up it's no use saying "Oh I thought I was in plane (B) or (E)" Move at the speed you are comfortable with,.Don't be rushed and think about what you are doing before you move a control. When you fly one particular plane a lot ( and I mean most days) you get overfamiliar with it. You could find every control in the dark. You won't be like that till the other plane becomes as familiar. IF you fly a lot of different planes all the time you never get THAT familiar with any particular one. To rely on that might be somewhat dangerous. Does that make sense? Nev

Definitely an individual thing.

I learnt on a Cessna 150 and converted to GA with a Skyfox Gazelle, and now own a Minicab! All different, all unique in their manners. I think I like the manners of my low wing tail dragger the best, though.

Be familiar with your critical speeds (takeoff safety speed, climb, cruise, turbulence, VNE) and the mannerisms of the aircraft - listen to what it is saying to you. THe principle of flight is exactly the same, just the implementation a little different.

Cheers - boingk

Thanks for all the great thoughts and ideas for me to think about. I defiantly plan on continuing learning other planes and getting more training even if it does get a little hard at times.

The Jabiru is centre stick, so fly left seat right hand, where as the Alpi is duel stick, left seat, left hand....

Useless fact, right handed people control a vehicle better from the left side of the vehicle. Now I drive both sides of a car/road often I can confirm, at least for me, it is true.

I also worked many years ago in British bike shop, after a while it became second nature riding a Norton with rh gearchange and reverse pattern compared to a Triumph with rh gearchange and most other bikes with lh gearchange. You barely think about it after a while going from one to another.

except when you go for the back brake and stamp the bike into second. LOL. I often drove L/H and R/H drive vehicles on either side of the road. The biggest problem was grabbing the window winder instead of changing gear....Or remembering which side to get in!....004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Low wing are well known to be more influenced by "ground effect" in the landing. Basically provides a little more cushioning in the flare so this should be the biggest difference you'll really notice that's directly attributable to the different wing (and not just different aircraft). The high wings are generally more effected by crosswinds also as the wind can get caught up under the wing against the body of the aircraft. That's some of what i've picked up over the years anyway.