Old Drifter skins/sails

M61A1

I have a sailmaker friend who is interested in manufacturing Ultralight skins/sails.

I'm told they have been in contact with Spectrum but are now looking for an old set of skins to examine to determine in detail, what is required to manufacture them. Can anyone help?

He is based in Coffs Harbour, I think us rag & tube folk are gonna need someone like this to keep us flying.

Emah who made sails for Wayne at Spectrum is going to make my sails in a couple of weeks, she is currently making sails ATM and has a bit of a back log. Emah is currently setting up a business and will be continuing to makes sails . I talked to her on the phone 6 days ago.

Dazza, can you let me know what Emma's contact details are, I'd like to keep her in mind for the future

Will do. I rang Spectrum and one of Wayne's daughters answered the phone, then she handed over the phone to Emah. She is going to ring me back in a week or two. She has a big back log of sails to manufacture. Emah is also a friend on facebook, so I can get in contact with her no problem.

Hmmm, perhaps Emah/Emma should share her work load with M61A1's friend. After all, he started this thread.

Just for general information, Emah is the correct spelling of her name. BTW- I have never seen it spelt like that before either. But I think it is pretty cool.

I agree DP- more sail makers in Australia the better I reckon.

• Agree 1

hey guys, Am talking to Emah as I type this, and she has told me to put her number up if you guys need sails. its 0430 207 783.you wont find better sails anywhere!

Does Emah just do the sails, or will she also be stocking the regular usage bits, like batten tips , saddles etc? It would be nice if we could source these bits in country.

just sails and material works to my knowledge. Might be worth a call to her and check though. She might be interested in doing more. though I have another contact who might be able to help with more of the mechanical and structural side of things. i will get back to you on that!

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow aviators. I am indeed continuing with the sail making, and am working as fast as possible through existing orders. By all means feel free to contact me either via mobile, on 0430 207 783, or email [email protected]. The Fisher daughters would love to see Spectrum Aviation continue as it was Wayne's Legacy. I will endeavour to continue providing sailmaking services.

Kind regards, Emah.

• Like 6

Hello fellow aviators. I am indeed continuing with the sail making, and am working as fast as possible through existing orders. By all means feel free to contact me either via mobile, on 0430 207 783, or email [email protected]. The Fisher daughters would love to see Spectrum Aviation continue as it was Wayne's Legacy. I will endeavour to continue providing sailmaking services.Kind regards, Emah.

Welcome Emah 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Emah, that's great to hear. I recently flew my old Drifter now owned by friends, and fitted a while back with a new set of Wayne's sails.

I did 650 hrs on the original sails, and the difference with the new sails was very noticeable. We can only hope some of Wayne's magic rubbed off on you, as he certainly knew his way around a set of Drifter skins.

By all means let us know on this forum if you should get behind down there, or snowed under. I for one have sail cutting and sewing experience, and I (and i'm sure others) would be more that happy to come down and lend you a hand for a week so. Spectrum is indeed Wayne's legacy, and I thank you for helping to continue it for us all, and Wayne's daughters..Your doing magic work there....regards Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hi Emah, that's great to hear. I recently flew my old Drifter now owned by friends, and fitted a while back with a new set of Wayne's sails.I did 650 hrs on the original sails, and the difference with the new sails was very noticeable. We can only hope some of Wayne's magic rubbed off on you, as he certainly knew his way around a set of Drifter skins.

By all means let us know on this forum if you should get behind down there, or snowed under. I for one have sail cutting and sewing experience, and I (and i'm sure others) would be more that happy to come down and lend you a hand for a week so. Spectrum is indeed Wayne's legacy, and I thank you for helping to continue it for us all, and Wayne's daughters..Your doing magic work there....regards Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thank you Maj :cheezy grin:Your comments are much appreciated. With respect to sails Im balancing everything at the moment, and very happy to be able to continue something taught to me by an amazing friend/mentor/instructor/aviator. The girls are very pleased to see it continue, and ill stay manufacturing in Hanger 11 as there are many amazing memories there.

By all means i will shout out if any assistance is needed. Your offer is much appreciated. Where are you based? Im also considering making a Facebook page for drifter/thruster pilots, any one in the rag and tube industry really... Feel free to add me on fb - Emah Silberstein.

Once again, thank you for your support,

Kind regards,

Emah

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

I am in Townsville Emah. The Thruster/Drifter site sounds like a great idea......Cheers .....Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked back on this thread and delighted about what I have read regarding your enthusiasm to continue with Wayne's work Emah and equally delighted with Wayne's daughters, who by now have a full appreciation of just how much the rest of us respected and appreciated him and his magic. So glad that the drifter legacy is alive and well, as I had feared that the wheels had just suddenly fallen off the drifter wagon, but I should fear not!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hi all - has anyone got any idea of cost and can also confirm that the drifter skins are definitely happening?

Hi Seb,

What sort of drifter do you have? I can let you know prices based on whether you need a full or partial set.

Im currently shifting operation locations, but will be able to help if you require new skins.

Feel free to contact me via mobile also, its 0430 207 783

Kind regards,

Emah.

Hi Seb,What sort of drifter do you have? I can let you know prices based on whether you need a full or partial set.

Im currently shifting operation locations, but will be able to help if you require new skins.

Feel free to contact me via mobile also, its 0430 207 783

Kind regards,

Emah.

Hi Emah,

Do you only manufacture Drifter skins? I will be needing a set for an X-air standard in the not to distant future,can you help with these also?

jason.

Hi Emah,Do you only manufacture Drifter skins? I will be needing a set for an X-air standard in the not to distant future,can you help with these also?

jason.

Hi Jason,

I have not manufactured any X-air sails before, but if i can locate a plane nearby, i could inspect the sails to figure out the manufacturing process.

I have a few sails to get through at the moment, but would be happy to discuss the X-air with you.

Are you able to send me a few up close pics of the wings and tail section through this forum?

Kind regards,

Emah.

• 1 month later...
I have a sailmaker friend who is interested in manufacturing Ultralight skins/sails.I'm told they have been in contact with Spectrum but are now looking for an old set of skins to examine to determine in detail, what is required to manufacture them. Can anyone help?

He is based in Coffs Harbour, I think us rag & tube folk are gonna need someone like this to keep us flying.

Could you please post a means to contact him.

JG