Feed back wanted

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After much thought on the wing skin finishing and the work needed, also the ageing shrinkage problems, and to get the constant strength in carbon fibre ( for the home builder) and the( buckling )cost which isn't to bad. A spar made of S glass, making foam ribs, just bolt a timber pattern each end and sand to shape. Make a leading edge, it is easy to bond a metal skin over it. This would save many months of sanding, which will shrink in a few months.

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have just spent two weeks in Omarama new Zealand one of the best wave sites in the world, and a wide range of gliders to measure up. ash 25 self launch ( which i got a 4 hr ride in)to an asg 29 one of the latest designs from which i got some good info from.( some people not happy about me getting the info from it ?) If you read the latest kit planes mag. about the HP24 glider you will start to realise that it is not all rocket science people talk about. There are just a few factors that need to right and you will have a realy good performing sailplane. I also looked at another fuse plug in the hangar a guy way going to build a 15m glider and stopped work on it when he relised that 15m class is going out and 18m is the new glider. the open class is coming down and the 15m class is coming up.So my home work was right . I have a 4 peice wing easy to build. the carbon spar is now gone and S glass at 87,000 psi is now the go. At Omarama I also learned about using convergent lift which a 4 hr flight using only this and getting to 11,000' in the alps , mountain flying is a lot different from flying high above the ground in aussie. one day guys where getting 24,000'in wave but couldn't get clearance in Queenstown airspace where it was going 40,000 + .I also got some trout fishing in and lot count of how many i caugh, but Trevor and Jenny will have trout for Christmas dinner. I believe my design shape now is now almost there and still working on the motor set up to get the motor up and going quicker as many take a minute to just get it up. control set up in the cockpit is also an area to be worked on.

The touring motor glider only has the fuse to be painted, which i hope to get use of the paint booth on tuesday.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheyenne is all but finished, GFA is about to come and do the final inspection manuals are complete, ( RAA paper work is easy ) It has been designed to be a glider unlike many touring motor gliders are an ext ion of a power aircraft.

I have the motor for the single seat 18m to finish off the fuse design, the foam core material will be in Aust in a couple of months. S glass is now the final decision for spar material, I believe this will be the first glass plan kit performance sail plane for maybe 30 years, and the bonus self launch is a big plus.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Basalt well not enough info and a new material, carbon fibre i found to be a can of worms form info and testing and to what is really being used in practice, S glass is a more stable material for me. Testing twill glass at present is having good results and finish. The Cheyenne is having an inspection on the 28th by the GFA and will report back to CASA etc. ???

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

GFA has been for an inspection for the day and went over the Cheyenne they where really good and constructive, we just have some small things to change ( colour code two switches, re colour knob, etc. they will be back in about a month or two to spend 3 days to go over some paper work, a bit more involved than RAA, but they have always been better at doing things than groups, and we learn all the time. It was good dealing with constructive people ,unlike others that have come and just commend everything we had done, even when they say we have met the standard but demand another 200 pages to a hand book. Thanks GFA.

I was a bit surprised to fing S glass is 66% weaker in compression, but now looking into to amount of lead in the wing tips outer pannels of gliders. Our foam had now arrived from over seas, and the motor a Hirth F33 is here to do the final design to fitting it to the fuse.

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

• 9 months later...

The Cheyenne is still on the ground Just a RAD 47 100.5 to go and the cert for test flying will be done.

The new 18m self launch is coming along the wing spars have the web fitted and ready for the joins. The tail is now being closed up . 2.43kg of lead fitted for the mass balance. Mold plug for the fuse is being made for the front of the half ,and testing of the rear tail cone is not far away.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Friday was within 3 hours to having my c of a application for the Cheyenne cancelled ,that's after a year of doing the paper work trying to please some people that i wish they would go back to the planet they came from. after some dummy spits it is all done for test flying phase one.

The new single seater has the spars and webs in place ,also the fuse plug is almost ready for glassing. the tail boom test piece is nearly ready for the torsional test ,A better way for the fuse plug is to plank it up is foam ,sand to shape it and glass over it inside and out . I have spent 2 weeks filling and sanding. The tail is made with my new 5 mm foam sandwich . it is extremely stiff. I left the outer surface un glassed for a couple of weeks ,and got a slight concave between the ribs, this was sander out very easy and glassed, very little filler was needed over the glass skin, which will help with shrinkage over time. Balancing the elev. to 100% took 3.4 kg of lead to make a total of 10kg for the tail. not much one can do about that .

• Like 2

Friday was within 3 hours to having my c of a application for the Cheyenne cancelled ,that's after a year of doing the paper work trying to please some people that i wish they would go back to the planet they came from. after some dummy spits it is all done for test flying phase one.The new single seater has the spars and webs in place ,also the fuse plug is almost ready for glassing. the tail boom test piece is nearly ready for the torsional test ,A better way for the fuse plug is to plank it up is foam ,sand to shape it and glass over it inside and out . I have spent 2 weeks filling and sanding. The tail is made with my new 5 mm foam sandwich . it is extremely stiff. I left the outer surface un glassed for a couple of weeks ,and got a slight concave between the ribs, this was sander out very easy and glassed, very little filler was needed over the glass skin, which will help with shrinkage over time. Balancing the elev. to 100% took 3.4 kg of lead to make a total of 10kg for the tail. not much one can do about that .

Well done and enjoy the flights.

Cheers

Mike

I just received an Email from RAA the approval for modification made to you home built. When you have a set of plans or a kit that is proven and tested, dont change it .The problems when a builder makes changes is that they don't see the hole picture. I get many phone calls from people who have have made changes to there aircraft and wonder why it doesent fly right. And some that tell me they cant get the right control movement, when they have reversed the controls . and this is by a very experienced person, and many others that they think a simple change they will make the aircraft harder to fly.

I see this as the BEST thing that has happened to RAA in a long time. to many people stuff up a good aircraft by there own doing. The more experience they have the more they stuff it up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Gary, who is giving you legal advice? The EAB stuff you sell still allows the builder to make changes, what this stops is the second and subsequent owners making changes. Its unclear whether or not converting back to stock would be considered a modification. I am assuming it in some cases will be as the removal of original deviations would constitute a modification.

You need to be making and selling ELSA kits, these do not allow any deviation from the factory design and the builder has to buy every component from you, thus ensuring the integrity of the design. ELSA allows owners to make changes once the aircraft is registered.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

No manufacture in Australia will get it passed , if don't hold you own ticket for approval, Howard H did for many years, and now even he cant, and he has more exp. than anybody else at doing it. There is no hope in Australian any more, CASA has done a good job of killing aviation in this country.

• Agree 2

CASA has done a good job of killing aviation in this country.

It's not CASA specific, it's the way the tide turned ever since the day Hawke announced the "Clever Country" policies.

Everyone now has a piece of paper to be a qualified expert at something and the procedures that necessarily get written up that go hand in hand with it. Everything has been stupidly difficult ever since.

• Agree 1

So by following great government policies, legislation, regulations and practices we end up learning more and more about less and less and eventually know absolutely everything about nothing. That'll fix it.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

• 1 month later...