Oshkosh

rdarby

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going again this year, and staying about 40 minutes away in a motel. There are many motels available via the usual hotel search sites. You can often get big breakfast, air con and a fridge for the cool ones when you finish the day.

Parking is $10 a day and easy to access which you can prebook on the EAA website.

I suggest you join the EAA to get reduced entry and other price reductions. Even on the B17 flight experience. Awsome.

I concurr with not trying to do the lot. Have a great time. It is hard not to.

A word of warning ref driving. DO NOT SPEED. All of the nasty stories of police being overzealous are true. Message- be a perfect citizen and have a nice day.

A word of warning ref driving. DO NOT SPEED. All of the nasty stories of police being overzealous are true. Message- be a perfect citizen and have a nice day.

AND ALSO. . . . . .

If a traffic cop stops you on the highway, . . .FOR HEAVENS SAKE,. . . don't reach into the glove box for your license. . . . . this could well ellicit a rather unexpected bullet in your head. They really don't mess around there, just do EXACTLY what the officer says and. . .BE POLITE, and DON'T argue with the bloke.

My Dad came precariously close to being shot when he innocently went for his passport and international licence from the the rental car's glove box, the officer ran around the side of the car weapon drawn, screaming at him to put both his hands up and get out of the vehicle. . . . . . Scary stuff.

This happened in 1988, whilst he was visiting our relatives whio live at the North end of the lake, around 49 miles away from Wittman Field.

Phil

Guest Nobody
AND ALSO. . . . . .If a traffic cop stops you on the highway, . . .FOR HEAVENS SAKE,. . . don't reach into the glove box for your license. . . . . this could well ellicit a rather unexpected bullet in your head. They really don't mess around there, just do EXACTLY what the officer says and. . .BE POLITE, and DON'T argue with the bloke.

My Dad came precariously close to being shot when he innocently went for his passport and international licence from the the rental car's glove box, the officer ran around the side of the car weapon drawn, screaming at him to put both his hands up and get out of the vehicle. . . . . . Scary stuff.

This happened in 1988, whilst he was visiting our relatives whio live at the North end of the lake, around 49 miles away from Wittman Field.

Phil

Yep there are a few different traffic rules over here compared to back home in Oz. They do vary a bit state to state but the main ones I remember from North Carolina are.

1. When a school bus stops to drop of kids both directions of traffic have to stop. This one is pretty heavily enforced so if you forget expect a fine.

2. If you have your windscreen wipers on you must have you lights on.

3. The right turn on a red thing.

4. On a 4 lane road( ie two each way) if there is a police car stopped in the breakdown lane you have to move over to leave the Kerb side lane clear. If it is only 1 lane slow down lots. ( I can't remember the number)

5. if you are pulled over you. Must stop in a well lit area turn off the car and keep your hands visible. I think they have now started fining people for this after a few cases where the police have been shot.

On the plus side they don't have speed cameras and you are more likely to be let off with a warning for a minor speeding offense that Australia....

We're planning on next year ,my Dad lives in Detroit and suggested a couple of Motorhomes and a bit of a tour ending at Oshkosh at the right time, any advice from the regulars on motorhome parking in the area

You don't need an international licence - sorry for spelling brain dead.

An Oz licence works.

Thanks for the heads up FD. . . . .

Bud Dad had to have one back in 1988 apparently. . . . . I gather that Pommie licennces work there nowadays as well. . .

We're planning on next year ,my Dad lives in Detroit and suggested a couple of Motorhomes and a bit of a tour ending at Oshkosh at the right time, any advice from the regulars on motorhome parking in the area

Metal. . .

My friend Paul mentioned a lot of motorhomes in the trailer park at Witman Field ( Oshkosh) itself, a quick email to the E.A.A. office in the States should clear that one up, save driving fifty odd miles to off site motels anyway . . . .

Phil

Get on the EAA Airventure webpage and they'll tell you everything you ever wanted/needed to know about Camp Schuller & van parking. The earlier you check in w/ the motorhome, the closer you get to the action (it's a damn long hike fm the far perimeter of the camping paddock to the actual airventure gates (and twice as far going home at the end of each big day). No powered sites as I recall but there are specified parking areas where gen sets are permitted but again they're a long way from the action. Have fun!

Thanks for the heads up FD. . . . .Bud Dad had to have one back in 1988 apparently. . . . . I gather that Pommie licennces work there nowadays as well. . .

Metal. . .

My friend Paul mentioned a lot of motorhomes in the trailer park at Witman Field ( Oshkosh) itself, a quick email to the E.A.A. office in the States should clear that one up, save driving fifty odd miles to off site motels anyway . . . .

Phil

(sorry for long quote)

Go to my gallery and there are piccies of Oshkosh 2011 and my heli' flight over the event.

You may need to check with Ian where my gallery is. I just tried to find it and include a link but can't find it.

(sorry for long quote)Go to my gallery and there are piccies of Oshkosh 2011 and my heli' flight over the event.

You may need to check with Ian where my gallery is. I just tried to find it and include a link but can't find it.

I'm hoping to attend Oshkosh this year, but it all depends on workload. Mind you,. . . if I should get paid out for an RTA I had in Dec 2009,. THEN, I will make the time and go anyhow. I've got relatives in Michigan who own three aircraft and a couple of them have boats with sleeping accommodation. . . that'd be a nice trip, borrow a cruiser, moor up at the end of Lake Michigan and then hire a car to visit Wittman,. . . . Yeah, dream on, I'll probably get my thirty grand two days after the show has finished !

Mind you I have not been to Sun and fun at all,. . . . . Maybe next year !

Phil

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
I think they have now started fining people for this after a few cases where the police have been shot.

You get fined for shooting policeman? My, that is harsh!

Sad to say I'm not going, my work and residents visa is due right now and it takes at least 7 days for each process (they need my passport) and I hear America doesn't let you in without a passport .... fussy bar stands.

You get fined for shooting policeman? My, that is harsh!

Sad to say I'm not going, my work and residents visa is due right now and it takes at least 7 days for each process (they need my passport) and I hear America doesn't let you in without a passport .... fussy bar stands.

Sorry to hear you can't go either mate. . . . I have not got my promised accident "Compo" yet either, which means I won't be going either ! ! ! Looks like our mate Paul will be on his own ( apart from a few thousand other aviation buffs. . . .)

Phil

Being married for over 30 years gave me practice.

AAAHHH. . . sounds a bit like my marriage. . . . . .I have not spoken to my Wife for nearly five years,. . . . I mean,. . . I don't like to interrupt her.

( Just thought I'd mention that in passing ) [ en passant ? ] 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

• Haha 2

Sorry to hear you can't go either mate. . . .

I was really looking forward to it, booked a room and all and then went to book tickets online and when I grabbed my passport to get the numbers I thought I had better see when this years Visa is due ... oops.

Here's a bit of China for you and and just one of hundreds of examples of the frustration of living within their moronic narrow thinking here;

My Work Permit expires on the 30th of August and my Residents Visa expires on the 9th.

You need a Work Permit to get a Residents permit, fair enough. They do not want me to start the process of getting the Work Permit until the 30th of July, ie; 1 month before - it takes 7 to 20 days to process (they take both my Passport and Aliens Work Permit book hence why I can't be at Osh).

The clever ones have already worked it out, I will not have my Passport back in time to apply for my Residents Visa as they want a clear 7 days before expiry, sigh.

So can we get a Residents Visa extension in the meantime? No, you can not do that, god only knows why not, but you can get a 30 day Tourist Visa (L Visa) to cover you.

... only an LVisa means you must leave the country to get a Z Visa (a temporary type of Work Permit) available only offshore in order to enter China to apply for a Residents Visa. Now while this means I only actually have to go to Hong Kong, it's still airplane flights, hotels and 3 days lost - and that's cause I'm Australian and they like us (thanks Kevin), Americans in the same situation have to go all the way back to America.

Why the hell can't they logically match up the 2 darn Visa dates is beyond me, this is the 3rd time now since I've been here that the dates have been mismatched enough for it to be a major headache and off to Hong Kong (I hate HK too) and at least 2 other times I just got in by the skin of my teeth.

My son has had similar issues. when he was working in Xian and now over just north of Shanghai...teaching the locals one would think the govt there might be able to get their crap together on this stuff. he had to fly to HK and back again for these issues

Don't worry if you can't go this year, it gives you a year to spend looking forward to going in 2014. I have just got off the phone with my friend in Canada, we are going to hire a house a Oshkosh and get a bunch of families together from different parts of the world, and spend the week exploring Oshkosh and the area.

I just need to save up more! International flights are sorted, it's all the rest I have a year to sort out now. The house gets booked as soon as Oshkosh is over.

Has anyone ever hired a house there?

Guest Nobody

J

Don't worry if you can't go this year, it gives you a year to spend looking forward to going in 2014. I have just got off the phone with my friend in Canada, we are going to hire a house a Oshkosh and get a bunch of families together from different parts of the world, and spend the week exploring Oshkosh and the area.I just need to save up more! International flights are sorted, it's all the rest I have a year to sort out now. The house gets booked as soon as Oshkosh is over.

Has anyone ever hired a house there?

Just save up for the cost of a kit if you do a demo flight in an rv 12. A very expensive free flight.....

JJust save up for the cost of a kit if you do a demo flight in an rv 12. A very expensive free flight.....

Sounds like you're speaking from experience. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

A couple of interesting videos of the camping area and grounds from last week. Oshkosh is BIG!!

rgmwa

• Like 1