Kneeboards/ cockpit management tips?

A well trimmed plane can manage itself for a few seconds when notes are written

I can't do that in my Jabiru. Even when trimmed, the moment I take my hand off the controls it takes a random change in direction and attitude/altitude/speed. If I spend too much time with my head down doing calcs, I can find I am 15 degrees off course and (usually) descending about to enter a spiral dive (some exaggeration perhaps).

As a low time pilot, I am continually refining and improving my cockpit management. I gave up on trying to use a knee board and have now settled on resting a cheap plastic A4 clipboard on my lap with pouch for protractor/ruler and marker pens. Without a passenger it is easier to manage because the spare seat acts as office space. My flight plan is clipped to the clipboard which then usually sits on my lap and my chart is folded (sometimes with help of some tape) and either sits on my lap on top of the clipboard or I place it on the passenger seat when I don't need it. I have arranged the flight plan template so I only need to write on the right hand side of the page. I keep the wizz-wheel (out of its sleeve) in the LH door side pocket and the pens/markers on top of the dash (I haven't got around to a pen holder). My charts are covered in adhesive plastic and I use permanent markers (which can subsequently be erased with Avgas or turps) to write as much as I can on the chart including headings, area and CTAF frequency changes, AWIS freqs, position check points, altitudes, and wind directions so I minimise switching between chart and plan. I write time on the chart with marker pens when I have confirmed my position.

Because of the central control column on the J170, and as I am right handed I tried writing with my left hand but gave that up as almost impossible, so now I cross arms when I have to and fly the plane with my left and write with my right. Eric

• Like 1

I had a 120 and did a few Temora 6 hour trips in her, I found mine pretty good, but all aircraft are different. I like the centre stick as it frees up the lap area to work in( sickos please disregard!!). Ultimately every one will find a system that works but as Tomo and other have said less is more. KISS, Big picture/ small picture.

Cheers

I had a 120 and did a few Temora 6 hour trips in her, I found mine pretty good, but all aircraft are different. I like the centre stick as it frees up the lap area to work in( sickos please disregard!!). Ultimately every one will find a system that works but as Tomo and other have said less is more. KISS, Big picture/ small picture.Cheers

Got to say it that why I like the BIG centre stick in the tecnam.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Haha 1

great thread, as I'll be having all these concerns very shortly. So far my set up is good for getting me to the training area and back, but we'll see how it goes when I am headed into the Unknown. I am also being taught the 6 minute markers, and the CLEAROFF work cycle, which does seem a bit busy and I wonder when I'll even get time to enjoy the flight. I guess in time its a matter of having all the tools available then knowing which ones to use for the job at the time.

I was busy enough with 10 min markers, takes approx 2 min to do clearoffs then I had a few minutes to have a look around before the next cycle. At this stage I suspect 6 min markers will break my brain (even more ... ) ;)