Fatal in Country Victoria

Guest pookemon

Guest ozzie

Any one know the departure point?

Winter time and travelling from lower to higher Lat., maybe misread last light for destination.

" Last light " refers to the light available at that particular location in ideal conditions . That is ,it does not apply when there is cloud or other conditions such as high terrain to the West .

Bob

• Agree 2

Possibly commuting. The aircraft was registered to a company with an office in Camberwell and a residence under the same company in rural Boxwood with what looks like an E-W strip in the paddock. ATSB are doing an investigation.

• Agree 1

Since the invention of solar powered lighting for small strips, it's something for every country airstrip owner to think about installing - particularly if they regularly push last light. They can be set to come on by a light sensor, and turn off on a timer. Wish they'd been available when we lived out in the bush and operated early/late in the day. Reckon it would be money very well spent.

Since the invention of solar powered lighting for small strips, it's something for every country airstrip owner to think about installing - particularly if they regularly push last light. They can be set to come on by a light sensor, and turn off on a timer. Wish they'd been available when we lived out in the bush and operated early/late in the day. Reckon it would be money very well spent.

I did the Rolleston Qld airstrip with solar lights about 2007 to CASA requirements = $20,000 for lights alone. If you were not trying to be a Certified airstrip you might be able to do the poor man's version with a couple of Red/Green at each end and one or two pairs of white= about $4,000. They are "set & forget". The batteries are charged each day and they glow all night - can last up to a week with overcast days. Change the batteries every 5 years.

There was a whole thread on it a couple of years ago.

Sue

• Informative 1

Guest Andys@coffs

just remember with IR that you only get a picture when there is a thermal difference. There are times when that is not true and the point of focus is outside your ability to illuminate with an IR emitter....

A low light camera that has IR capability may well be better than just IR alone.....but in any event neither is really VFR hey!!! but no less a consideration than fitting a horizon to the instrument stack is for a VFR aircraft and pilot......

Andy

just remember with IR that you only get a picture when there is a thermal difference. There are times when that is not true and the point of focus is outside your ability to illuminate with an IR emitter....A low light camera that has IR capability may well be better than just IR alone.....but in any event neither is really VFR hey!!! but no less a consideration than fitting a horizon to the instrument stack is for a VFR aircraft and pilot......

Andy

Ooh yeah, looking through night vision goggles doesn't give the pilot depth perception. Many prospective Blackhawk pilots have been failed at that point of their training because of it.

Au contraire it appeared to show most things quite well in the article I saw, haven't seen it in operation of course. And nothing like the old night vision goggles Daz.

-Apologies GG. The FLIR as a example- the Cirrus camera that can be fitted to that aircraft. Appears to be a great situational awareness tool.

Or if you like to live on the edge & push last light for $4,000 you can get a FLIR video camera for your aircraft - see in the dark, through cloud, fog etc.

Since when can any IR camera see through cloud?

Can't find the article now, might have been terrain through fog they were showing. Certainly things like trees & runway showed up well.

Hit the trees in the dark... And it was bloody dark with no moon. You have to ask why he didn't go to Benalla or Shepparton, both of which have proper PAL lighting and all the stuff needed for a safe arrival.

Kaz

Hit the trees in the dark... And it was bloody dark with no moon. You have to ask why he didn't go to Benalla or Shepparton, both of which have proper PAL lighting and all the stuff needed for a safe arrival.Kaz

Kaz,

Possible called "get there itis" or she'll be rightis that has claimed another fellow aviator.

Sad event for the family and friends.

Alf

This one scared the bajeebers outa me....As my mate and CFI owner and operater of falcon hawk airfield/training facility lives in Boxwood victoria, and is the same age as the pilot killed,lives on same rd ect..ect.... I made the call and was told what happened. such a tradgedy shouldn,t happen and heres a warning to ALL pilots .stop flying low ,,and in the dark?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My ol mates, Jim n'Kay CFI',s next door nieghbour departed Moorabin and flew his Cessna to his private strip at boxwood VIC(Benalla).He was heard flying over at around 6:18pm

He proceeded his ussual rutine of over flyng his house to let his family know he was home, He did this twice coming down low(very low)

and buzzing his house, his wife and 4 children then came out to greet him on touch down however he then miss calculated his approach striking his trees resulting in the plane hitting the ground verticle killing him instantly, unfortunatly with his family witnessing the event.....RIP and massive condollences.

CASA were on the scene..... by the way He was (as in most cases) very exspierienced.

• Informative 3

Kaz,Possible called "get there itis" or she'll be rightis that has claimed another fellow aviator.

Sad event for the family and friends.

Alf

Too true, Alf. It was his strip on his farm and I can't help thinking he was relying on a GPS and an inaccurate QNH to find it.

Kaz

Can't find the article now, might have been terrain through fog they were showing. Certainly things like trees & runway showed up well.

Sky view shows terrain & runways ,

I saw a Video of a plane in America landing at night between hills right down to the runway and land .

Ps not advocating that this should be tried .

I wouldn't be game!

Cheers Mike

On the subject of flying after last light, CASA and RAA will contact you and request explanation as to reasons why you undertooksuch flight. I have just submitted a response and am aware that another Pilot at Ballarat was also requested to do. I am awaiting advice of any disciplinary measures etc. The duration of flight after LL in my case was under 30 mins but my collegue was pinged for a very small time pass LL.

On the subject of flying after last light, CASA and RAA will contact you and request explanation as to reasons why you undertooksuch flight. I have just submitted a response and am aware that another Pilot at Ballarat was also requested to do. I am awaiting advice of any disciplinary measures etc. The duration of flight after LL in my case was under 30 mins but my collegue was pinged for a very small time pass LL.

Contact who??