Watch the hounds !!............

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

I love dogs, in fact I'd be lost without my little mini foxy at times. However dogs around airports and planes are a bad mix.

I was recently taxing into a parking spot at a small country airport after a days flying. I had parked in the very same spot the night before, so should be simple right ?... I was Probabily one meter from stopping when I spotted a large brown dog approaching from the right and trotting directly toward my spinning prop. I jumped immediately on the brakes, and pulled the throttle back to idle, but had no time to hit the switches and was just waiting for the bang.

The dog suddenly spotted the prop as indicated by a movement of its head, and possibly because I had changed the revs to nothing, or because I have some grey on my prop with yellow tips. It was too close, I reckon the dog got within one foot of requiring some serious vet work, and me a new prop !.............Had the worst happened, it would have ruined what was a great days flying with friends.

I know the owners of the dog as I have worked for them in the past, and the dog is well known around the airport, in fact does a good job of evicting the odd wallaby that manages to penetrate the airport fencing.

It's possible he even knew my aircraft, and was probabily just being friendly as dogs do.

Way too close for comfort !!........I have decided that I will instantly knock the switches off if I ever spot an unrestrained dog within 50 meters of my plane when the engine is running, and I would recommend you all do the same. Dogs just don't understand props !!!!!!!.....................Maj...013_thumb_down.gif.ec9b015e1f55d2c21de270e93cbe940b.gif