Past accident info......??

Guest Maj Millard

Have always used .... keep it straight - KEEP IT STRAIGHT - KEEP IT STRAIGHT!!#*#**!!happy days,

I tried this in a Piper Warrior once with a Trike pilot in the right seat. . . . . I kept yelling KEEP THE GODDAMN THING STRAIGHT. . . . he said " I'm bloody trying my best. . . but it keeps going the wrong way. . . . .

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried this in a Piper Warrior once with a Trike pilot in the right seat. . . . . I kept yelling KEEP THE GODDAMN THING STRAIGHT. . . . he said " I'm bloody trying my best. . . but it keeps going the wrong way. . . . .

Yes, 'keep-it-straight' comes out of an instructors mouth far more fluently, and allows for the insertion of some descriptive adjectives, than does 'please maintain directional control'........................ which is how the groundloop is described.

happy days,

Yes, 'keep-it-straight' comes out of an instructors mouth far more fluently, and allows for the insertion of some descriptive adjectives, than does 'please maintain directional control'........................ which is how the groundloop is described.happy days,

I've found from experience flying with quite a few pilots. . .( not a serious control group experiment perhaps. . .) that when switching from a flying triangle to a three axis controlled machine, ALL of the trike pilots had some difficulty with the "Foot Steering" bit,. . . when the most common thought at the time was that they would have more trouble converting pitch control inputs. . . but this didn't seem so in most cases. I certainly had a few wild moments when converting from three axis to flexwing,. . sorry, trike aircraft, but only with steering on the ground during landing and departure ops. Had to weld my feet together and think very carefully before even attempting to correct a slight divergence left or right during landings particularly,. . . got quite exciting on a couple of occasions ! My trike instructor got me through it though,. . .I got my own back for some of his "less than complimentary" instructional comments some years later when HE converted to three axis. . . .

After a while, most pilots seem to be able to swap types as easy as car to bike and back. . . . and it seems quite natural.

ANYWAY GUYS 'N' GALS. . . . If I' m not mistaken, . . .we have drifted off topic again,. albeit a very interesting discussion 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif Love and world peace to all ( no, I have not had any red wine yet this evening )

Phil

there's a note in this month's Sport's Pilot explaining why the accident reports have been missing and a graphic that says "bring them back?". So I plan to write them and cast my vote to bring those back. The reason they gave was that it had been one person manually compiling those on his own time, and that person was no longer there.

• Caution 1

Please drink up Phil and be shaw to buy Aus wine 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif " Wine grower"

I DO tend to consume quantities of Aussie Wines Geoff,. . . . ( BUT ONLY VERY SMALL QUANTITIES, SO THAT IT DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH ME FLYING THAT MUCH. . . . !)

Jacobs Creek being one of them, . . . can't find anything over here in the UK from the Michelton Winery in Vic though, I wonder if they are still operating. . . .

No drinking within 50 feet of the aircraft and near naked flames. Nev

Thanks for the heads up Nev,. . .mind you, I only drink normal wine within 50 feet of a flying appliance, as it isn't that explosive. . . ( unless its inside an Airbus A320) but when I have my friend Brendan over from Ireland,. . . well, he brings this stuff in a soft drink bottle called Pocine ( POTCHEEN ) a drink made from potaters,. . . . and around 100 proof. . . . if you don't like the taste, it doesn't matter, as it gets those annoying oil stains off you runway better than any other preparation I've ever seen. ( Hic )

Just had a bit in fact,. . .now what were we talking about,. . .? oh burger, . . . I've forgotten. . . .

Phil

there's a note in this month's Sport's Pilot explaining why the accident reports have been missing and a graphic that says "bring them back?". So I plan to write them and cast my vote to bring those back. The reason they gave was that it had been one person manually compiling those on his own time, and that person was no longer there.

How sad; it really does show you how priorities have been lost, and how much new blood is needed.

• Agree 2

It gives you a chance to realise the rudder pedals MUST be USED. In a tricycle plane you may operate for a long time without actually using the rudder as an active control. We would all be better pilots if we were still trained on them but that was done years ago with Skyfoxs and plenty got written off. Nev

Rudder? Rud...der? Like on boats right? Aircraft have these too? 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

68volksy - proud Piper Warrior pilot...