was Jetranger worlds safest single?

lark

Some years ago I read an in depth and very interesting article about the Bell Jetranger. If I remember correctly it was claimed until the 1970s (and turboprop singles) it was the safest single engine ac in the world? Found this to be quite surprising at the time. Wondering if anyone else had heard this claim?

That HAS been said of it. With stats you need to establish your base. Like accidents /cycle or accidents per flight hour and then fatals/accident for another slant. ( You would have to use pax carried on the type figures for that to mean anything

I surveyed accidents (all types) in Oz in the seventies and the write offs were 27% in one year of those registered if my memory serves me correctly. The common feeling was the dangerous nature of the landing sites and operations they were required to perform, was a major contributor to the high rate. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

The Bell jet rangers are a good machine, and are well designed with a large capable main rotor. Many are still used daily as crop-dusting machines ( or aerial application as it is now called ') ..The mechanical side of things, and Powerplant are easy to access and service, and the blades strong and robust, with hydraulic powered controls.................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I think the 'safest' claim came from fatalities per forced landing/crash which were/are very low because the touchdown speed is very slow or zero after an autorotation. If I'm to have more engine outs in anything put me back in the trusty B206 anywhere anytime please, I've never felt safer in the air.

The other big claim they had was the reliability of the RR/GM Allison C20 powerplant which, fuel exhaustion excluded, had the phenomenal statistic of world's most reliable single with an average inflight engine-out of 1 in 220,000 operational hours IIRC. There were even a few anecdotal cases of some flights being completed and hover/landing under power after all the engine oil had been lost, with the engine not going ballistic until the shut-down phase.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends who you talk to. Safety in the air is often attached to other stats like; the number of type in the air, the uses, the number of passengers carried, the engines, the TBO's and any number of other aspects. I flew R22 helicopters for a number of years as a pilot and crew for up to 600hrs a year for ten years and whilst they have a light rotor system it was hard to beat them for the work we were doing. They were considered the safest helicopter in the world because at the time (early 1990's) they hadn't had an engine failure fatality. Again depends who you talk to. I had stand up arguments with turbine operators against piston machines but it was all crap because it was always a commercial interest that lay behind the arguments and plenty of back dooring going on to 'win'. All these types still only have one engine and one pilot. Australia crashes more R22 helicopters than any other country why, because we ask them to do more than they were designed to do. Frank Robinson designed them for a commuter helicopter, cheap to buy and cheap to operate, they were originally priced at $22,000, you'd be lucky to get a new one for $300,000 now. Frank Robinson, after visiting Australia and seeing what we were doing with his machine, refused to warrantee them in this country. I have done many hours in B206's, they are a fantastic helicopter and a great reliable platform but, I wouldn't put one where I've put an R22 and be able to get out again. You can put a Bell 47 down in auto, engine off, pick it up, turn 360degrees and put it down again before losing lift and/or rotor speed, I've seen it done, ya wouldn't get within cooee with a Robbie you'd probably roll it over before a quarter way round. Horses for courses eh?

I love em all!!

• Informative 2