Oh for Flying out Aloud - Disney Planes

Apart from on the front news page I haven't seen any mention here about the new Disney movie "Planes" which Premieres this week (August 9th).

Hopefully it should affect a whole generation of youngsters (I'm still young, I'm going!!!!) and I think it should have a good and positive effect for aviation in general and sport aviation in particular.

Here are a couple of the trailers, looks terrific through my rose tinted specs. The movie's in 3D by the way so well worth going to the cinema rather than waiting for the video.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

That's great, could start a whole new interest and get a generation of kids away from video games. Love the way the planes are based on real aircraft types....great stuff, look foward to seeing it.........Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

The cars version was so accurate . I guess it would be lost on the younger people who would not know of them. The planes will no doubt be similar. Very clever and thoughtful. They could easily have been lazy and jut used something "generic". Good for "selected" oldies. Nev

That screenshot is from Oshkosh last week. I'm not sure if they actually parked planes like that, but I am sure they could have.

I am definitely going to watch it, I have looked forward to this one for about a year now!

Weren't the fuselage halves made of end grain Balsa sandwiched between Canadian Birch? I think they stopped using the Casein after a while in favour of a synthetic glue.

In any case, very clever construction (apart from the ones that flew to pieces... 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif)

They may have used balsa in the sides as a sandwich. They may have been made of various timbers. I think some were built in Australia. I had a woodwork teacher who built parts for them in a big way. LAMB I think was his name. They are being made new in New Zealand at the moment and there are some good vids available.

I don't know what other Glues were used as casein was it at the time. The next one was urea formaldehyde. Of course today you wouldn't use casein. . Quite a few planes fell apart in the 50's that were made of wood. Wackets Percivals. after a while the DCA removed the airworthiness Certificates of planes with laminated wood spars and stressed ply skins.. there is a Mosquito being restored to non flying status at Pt Cook, which has just celebrated 100 years of operation and was the place where the second oldest Airforce in the world (The RAAF) started, using Bristol Boxkites. Nev

Guest Nobody
Apart from on the front news page I haven't seen any mention here about the new Disney movie "Planes" which Premieres this week (August 9th).Hopefully it should affect a whole generation of youngsters (I'm still young, I'm going!!!!) and I think it should have a good and positive effect for aviation in general and sport aviation in particular.

Here are a couple of the trailers, looks terrific through my rose tinted specs. The movie's in 3D by the way so well worth going to the cinema rather than waiting for the

They had the "world premiere" of it on the Friday night at oshkosh. I won't spoil the ending but it was good fun to watch.

Weren't the fuselage halves made of end grain Balsa sandwiched between Canadian Birch? I think they stopped using the Casein after a while in favour of a synthetic glue. In any case, very clever construction (apart from the ones that flew to pieces... 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif)

It's believed that an inflight breakup caused Guy Gibson's Mosquito to crash over Holland on his way back from a mission. Gibson led the famous Dambuster's raid.

rgmwa

Apparently it happened to get that publicity shot..

There a sh1tload of history on the hangars in the background too,sadly my teenager sons have discovered I'm a complete moron ,and there fore can't be worth listening to ,so it looks like a trip to the cinemas on my own,,,,,,,damn that sounds sad ,,,,,I'm not really that hard up for mates!

I wonder if I went to a daycare centre and asked to borrow a kid for a night out would I get in trouble?

I love the Mossie. Trust the Brits to build a plane out of balsa wood and get it up to 631 km/h.

Hi Marty,

I see you're from Tassie - but if you are ever over Melbourne way drop into Point Cook RAAF Museum and take a look at the Mosquito they are currently rebuilding (sadly not to flying condition, just for static display).

Edit -> Ah - just spotted Facthunter has already pointed this out!!

Cheers,

Neil

It's believed that an inflight breakup caused Guy Gibson's Mosquito to crash over Holland on his way back from a mission. Gibson led the famous Dambuster's raid.rgmwa

That's the version I'd always understood was the case too, but more recently a taped confession was released posthumously where a Lancaster gunner says he mistook Gibson's Mosquito for a German Ju88 and shot it down, apparently Gibson joined a formation with Lancasters returning from a raid on Germany. I'm not certain it's true but it looks likely. Here's a news article about it.