Oh for Flying out Aloud - Disney Planes

That's the version I'd always understood was the case too, but more recently a taped confession was released posthumously where a Lancaster gunner says he mistook Gibson's Mosquito for a German Ju88 and shot it down, apparently Gibson joined a formation with Lancasters returning from a raid on Germany. I'm not certain it's true but it looks likely. Here's a news article about it.

Very interesting. Tragic for all involved if correct.

rgmwa

• Agree 1

Hi Marty,I see you're from Tassie - but if you are ever over Melbourne way drop into Point Cook RAAF Museum and take a look at the Mosquito they are currently rebuilding (sadly not to flying condition, just for static display).

Edit -> Ah - just spotted Facthunter has already pointed this out!!

Cheers,

Neil

Hey Neil,

Thanks for that - I have been to the Point Cook museum once many years ago, pre-Mosquito obviously.

I was lucky enough to do a driving tour of southern England a few years back, stopped into a few museums and airshows including Goodwood, a Piper Cub fly-in at Popham Airfield, Winchester (there was also an Antonov AN-2 there - is it the one on your avatar Phil??), York Air Museum (there was a Mossie there), and IWM Duxford near Cambridge. Seeing a Hurricane doing touch and goes at Duxford was incredible.

• 1 month later...

Just in case anyone doesn't want to miss it, Planes was released in Oz last Thursday and it probably won't be at the cinema for long as the attendances have been rather poor.

My wife and I went yesterday and we both loved it, still grinning! And that's quite something for my wife who, although she loves flying isn't so much 'into' the the planes themselves.

I'd really recommend seeing it in 3D although it's about double the entry price because it's a more worthy 3D subject than just about any other I would think and the effects are really excellent. And there's even an Aussie plane! Enjoy!

• Like 1

Just in case anyone doesn't want to miss it, Planes was released in Oz last Thursday and it probably won't be at the cinema for long as the attendances have been rather poor.My wife and I went yesterday and we both loved it, still grinning! And that's quite something for my wife who, although she loves flying isn't so much 'into' the the planes themselves.

I'd really recommend seeing it in 3D although it's about double the entry price because it's a more worthy 3D subject than just about any other I would think and the effects are really excellent. And there's even an Aussie plane! Enjoy!

Excellent! I'm looking forward to taking my boys (5 and 3).

I read somewhere that they've customised this movie to the country it's released in - so there's an Australian actor doing one of the character's voice here, and local actors in Germany, France, Russia, Italy and Brazil doing the voice there.

Here it is... http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/jessica-marais-lands-role-to-give-planes-an-australian-accent-20130913-2tomx.html

Excellent! I'm looking forward to taking my boys (5 and 3).I read somewhere that they've customised this movie to the country it's released in - so there's an Australian actor doing one of the character's voice here, and local actors in Germany, France, Russia, Italy and Brazil doing the voice there.

Here it is... http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/jessica-marais-lands-role-to-give-planes-an-australian-accent-20130913-2tomx.html

Thanks for that link and info Marty, very interesting. And very clever on Disney's part too. It's not only a smart piece of (child) psychology, it's also clever film-making because, as you'll see, they've done far more than a voice-over to change one particular plane's character and accent so that people will identify according to the country in which the film is shown, because they've 're-painted' that plane for each nation too. Rochelle is the main 'love interest' in the movie, and for Australia has "Australia" emblazoned down her side and of course Jessica Marais provides the very twangy and sexy voice-over. In the movie when shown in Brazil she has a different paint job as well as a different accent. Easier to do it in Pixar than with celluloid of course but very clever nonetheless and a great way to get the big Nationals like QANTAS to both sponsor and promote. (Hmm, I thought someone posted the pic earlier in the thread of QANTAS's promotion on a jet but I can't see it so I'll post it below).

Hope your kids enjoy it as much as you will!

PLANESPaintScheme.jpg.1f691f57e40bb50a94252567a656e1aa.jpg

I'm going today. It will be too good to just waste it on kids. The boss is coming along too. What got me is the spinners on the geared engines are actually turning at a slow rate. The attention to detail was great with the cars. It pisses me off when a Harley sounds like a BSA Bantam and the crook digital in Tora Tora. Things must move and sound right. Nev

I'm going today. It will be too good to just waste it on kids. The boss is coming along too. What got me is the spinners on the geared engines are actually turning at a slow rate. The attention to detail was great with the cars. It pisses me off when a Harley sounds like a BSA Bantam and the crook digital in Tora Tora. Things must move and sound right. Nev

I agree, I'm often amazed how they happily spend millions on making a movie but don't hire a knowledgeable adviser for a few hundred bucks to get radio dialogue right, for example. It alienates whole sections of the viewing community - those in the know of the relevant subject matter. They obviously did have very good advisers for Planes because most detail is excellent, the only one that stuck out a bit for me had to do with Ashani, but I won't be a 'spoiler' (another line from the movie, for flying out loud).

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

It seems we won't have to wait as long as expected to see the sequel to Planes. Planes 2: Fire and Rescue will be out later this year.

Dusty Crophopper joins forces with his friends Blade Ranger, Dipper and the Smokejumpers to form a fearless team battling a massive bushfire.

Apparently Planes brought in $220 million worldwide, so the interest shown bodes well for a new generation of flyers.

More info here and don't miss watching the trailer.

The Movie wasn't a great success here apparently. Doesn't bode well for future pilot numbers. The Theatre I went to in the middle of the day had only a handful of people in it. I enjoyed it. I must just be a big kid from the past. Nev

I saw it on a flight to Melbourne a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. It was better than I expected, although I wouldn't queue up to see the sequel. I think once was enough for me.

rgmwa

Love it!My 5yo is unfortunately more into cars and *shudder* helicopters than planes, this might help straighten him out... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I felt the same way until I started working on them (helicopters), but I very quickly found that it was just brilliant..... flying while stationary, and being able to go sideways and backwards

• Agree 1

Talking of which, an MRH-90 just went over, tracking north. It had gone the other way a couple of hours back. No idea where - we're south of Hobart, there ain't a hell of a lot to interest the Army down there unless they just went for a scenic flight.

Talking of which, an MRH-90 just went over, tracking north. It had gone the other way a couple of hours back. No idea where - we're south of Hobart, there ain't a hell of a lot to interest the Army down there unless they just went for a scenic flight.

Maybe it belongs to the Pussers.

• Like 1