CASR Part 61 Whats going to Change

Nev25

This is a CASA only licencing regime.

Try here http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2013L00218/Download

Skim through the first couple of pages of the explanatory notes. this will get you started.

For us bottom feeders there will be a new CASA license called the "Recreational Pilots Licence" (RPL) which will provide a build-a-block approach towards the PPL starting with a restricted licence, limiting pilots to the training area and adding endorsements for navs, controlled airports and controlled zones. It will replace the GFPT.

There will be an articulated path to the RPL for RAA Certificate holders. One can get an RPL (and endorsements), on application, provided you have an RAA Certificate and endorsements and successfully completes a Flight Review with a CASA delegate. (and the devil will be in the detail of that review - can you appeal a bad review etc)

There will also be a new medical, a "DL Aviation" medical which has a lower level of scrutiny and is based on the Truck drivers medical with extras. It has a validity of only one year at a time, can be done by a GP but has a number of default disqualifying conditions - if you become disqualified you must go the Class (DAMA) medical route.

The DL Medical normally limits pilots to 1500 Kg in a single engine aircraft under day VFR with only one passenger. If there is a pilot with a class 2 medical and licensed to fly the aircraft and occupying a control seat with the controls operational the DL pilot can fly with more passengers.

There will be a new Part 61 Manual of Standards, which is in draft form at the moment, which will constrain the operation of the system.

There is not, at the moment, a "Dummies Guide to Part 61", but there really should be one.

Kaz, perhaps a role for you converting aviation lawyer speak to human speak.

Enjoy!!

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Since the RPL replaces the GFPT and I passed the GFPT back in 1998. Does that mean that I will automatically get the RPL. Since it is a replacement for the GFPT ?

It would seem to be - but I can't see a migration path from GFPT to RPL explicit in the documents. Teraya Miller from CASA, might be good for some answers (she also knows a lot of the questions).

Since the RPL replaces the GFPT and I passed the GFPT back in 1998. Does that mean that I will automatically get the RPL. Since it is a replacement for the GFPT ?

You will get the RPL in place of your GFPT from my understanding. If you've then got a current medical and recency you'll be right to fly at any time up to 25 miles. The major change in all of this from my view is that it's now a "licence" so you can fly an aircraft whenever you desire. With GFPT all flights had to be signed out by a flying instructor. Similar structure to RA then in adding navigation endorsement.

But as mentioned by coljones Teraya is certainly the best person to talk to about this. She is also running seminars around the country over the next few months specifically on the changes. Great summary by the way coljones!

• Informative 1