Light Plane Crash Parkinson

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, reported engine failure Jabby 230 24 registered, 67 year pilot was on his way to Archerfield. Crashed in a heavily timbered area. He didn't even get a scratch, airframe looks in good condition considering were it ended up.(See post and photo above) No news on what caused the failure at this stage.

Yup, reported engine failure Jabby 230 24 registered, 67 year pilot was on his way to Archerfield. Crashed in a heavily timbered area. He didn't even get a scratch, airframe looks in good condition considering were it ended up.(See post and photo above) No news on what caused the failure at this stage.

Dazza, you made a spelling mistake .........!!!!

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Great news he's ok. Say what you like about jabs, but man they are strong!!!

It used to said that Landcruiser station wagons were strong too, which is why they were easier to died in when something went wrong. Jabirus must have something else going for them too, being strong just passes more of the force on to the fragile occupants, do they have crumple zones under the seats?

• Informative 1

Not that im aware of. Actually the lack of structure under the seat has always caused concern for me. That being said, there is a long history of engine failures in Jabs and an almost equally long list of survivals. Looking that the scrub he went down in, I would have thought at least an injury, but he came out well. Good on him!!!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

It used to said that Landcruiser station wagons were strong too, which is why they were easier to died in when something went wrong. Jabirus must have something else going for them too, being strong just passes more of the force on to the fragile occupants, do they have crumple zones under the seats?

Being strong , rigid , and impact absorbing strength are not the same thing .

My seat was all fractured , took the crash load evenly

The jabs have 4 in foam under the seats . Cert. requirements .

I can speak from Experiance that this works

image.jpg.f4f3118b1f6406519019d71f56b7e190.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Having the largish engine in the front helps too. There is no effective crumple zone specifically designed into a small plane, but a fair bit of the front would deform, temporarily or permanently at impact. Hitting trees with both wings at the same time, is a good idea if you can manage it. Inertia reel seat belts are good too. Soft surfaces on the dash and areas you may contact also reduces injury. The faster you are going , the less chance of survival. It might have washed off speed in the tops of the trees and then fell to where it is. Nev

Under the seats is the fibreglass cross beam that carries the loads from the wing struts - that beam is very strong and would take a lot of breaking. I think the structure under the seats is fine :)

• Agree 2

I know! I know! I`m going to offend someone and probably cop S@&t, but man! I`m sick of seeing guys going down into terain like that.

Of course I`m glad the guy is OK but it doesn`t change my point of view.

Frank.

• Agree 1

I know! I know! I`m going to offend someone and probably cop S@&t, but man! I`m sick of seeing guys going down into terain Of course I`m glad the guy is OK but it doesn`t change my point of view.

Frank.

In my case , it was the only tree around

Believe it or not there is an airstrip 100 mts behind the reck , when you loose control 30 ft agl and are banking to the left you don't get any choice ! Just like an engine failure.

Any they say any landing you walk away from !!!! I wouldn't say these were good ones

Mike .

I to am glad he walked away , and yes I to am sick of seeing these to , especially when they happen to you

when you loose control 30 ft agl and are banking to the left you don't get any choice ! Just like an engine failure.Mike .

Mike,Of course I`m glad you`re OK, as well. Not sure exactly what you mean! Did you stall in the turn?

Frank.