Light Plane Crash Parkinson

Landing in tree tops is more risky than you are lead to believe. I have gone miles out of my way to avoid doing it and unless it's just scrub with very small branches I would regard it as chancy. Tall timber in the Victorian./NSW Alps I regard as a no no. I always avoided the Pilliga when I used to fly through that area.. If it was good enough to have that view in GA, back then nothing has changed for U/L's since to make it better. There's two ways to avoid it. Fly around or at an altitude where you can glide clear of it. (The same as populous areas). Nev

• Agree 4

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My helicopter instructor told me, "If ya have to come down in the trees, try and avoid the big ones" "What" I said " The little ones hurt less?" You wont have the luxury in most cases it all happens in a big hurry and unless you're superman your mind will be going at supersonic speed in just about every direction for the first few second if you have that long. He also said, " If the engine quits and you have enough time, sit on the cyclic and let the accident investigator work it out". I recall an accident in the NT when all the occupants of a C210 where found deceased in their seats after a ditching in heavy timber, almost no marks on them. The pilot may have tried to stall the aircraft on the tops of the trees and 'flop in'. That's all well and good depending on how far you have to go to impact with the solid stuff underneath you. He did very well but, the 'G' forces ( I was reliably informed) involved in the sudden stop at the bottom tore the aortas out of all occupants hearts. Us humans don't do so well in vertical drops with a sudden stop, not so bad forward, backwards, sideways but not good otherwise. R22 helicopters have crushable seats for just such occurrences. The fact that we use this space for fuel pumps, spanners, hammers, pliers, first aid kits, beer, lunch and any number of other nearly useless articles is beside the point. Ever tried crushing a full can of beer? I know where it will reside if you fall on it from a great height, at speed. Don't try and stall it on the tree tops, remember, they are sharp sticks sticking out of the ground pointing in the direction from which you come, they are unforgiving. try, if you can, to mis the big ones, tear the wings of if need be. I have been to two accidents where the pilots were (intentionally or not) able to rip the wings off and mis the big ones. Both walked away, one was sitting on a stump when we got there waiting for a ride out.

Bigglesgreggles

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

It is unbelieveable that people can't respect someone elses misfortune and gotta just make things a whole lot worse. Where's integrity gone??

I know of an incident of the lowest order when a mate of mine was flying a chopper in NZ at the height of the Deer catching period when one of his mates put out a mayday and location of where he was putting his MD 500 down on a glacier. When my mate got there he could see the MD strewn down the glacier and didn't expect to find any survivers. When he put down, there were other helicopter skid impressions on the snow, two deceased in the cabin but all the flight avionics missing. Doesn't get much lower than that but, any theft is unacceptable and even worse if it is someone who will benefit from someones allready desperate loss.

It takes all kinds, unfortunately.

Greg

I have just received some photo's of the plane some low life has gone in and stolen the engine, instrument panel and the doors. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif before we can remove it.

very sorry to hear of the double misfortune, first the forced landing, now this, but also glad that no-one came to any harm, and well done with the landing. Hope you get your stolen property back.

• Agree 1

I have just received some photo's of the plane some low life has gone in and stolen the engine, instrument panel and the doors. 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif before we can remove it.

Thank ABC news for that, the link to the map is right under the photo in the article, telling every scum bag in existance exactly where it is.

• Agree 1

It's all got numbers on it. I don't see how it can legally be used. Agree it's dreadful. Nev

Aviation is not a big community. I would suspect the people in possession of the stolen equipment haven't thought about what a hot potato they have. Too many people already know for it to be profitable.

• Agree 1

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! What sort of a person would do that?????????? and why take the doors aswell?033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif scum bags is an understatement I think. unbelievable ...

I feel very sorry for you... shamefull it is ,bloody shamefull.

• Agree 1