Any tips for trailering a drifter??

seb7701

M61 has a very good point, someone mentioned the 'engine mounting tube' having cracks which may or may not have been from trailering. I was amazed to hear of cracks in that tube at all since it is the keel tube and made from very thick walled CRMO which has another thick walled CRMO sleeve inside it in the area of the engine mounts and both of the CRMO tubes are heat treated, the tempering being to about Rockwell 45 IIRC which should mean that it would bend under extreme load and not be hard enough to be susceptible to cracking provided there are no serious stress risers, and the edges of all holes in the tubes are normally well polished. I have made landing gear legs the same way and they tend to come back from the heat treaters with a bow in them which needs to be corrected in a shop press and you need to flex the tube to a surprising amount to have any permanent effect on it - think flexed like a fishing rod to correct a slight curve.

But damaging the boom tube is a possibility so I'd think it would be wise to support the fuselage under the rear upright, perhaps sit it on some old car tyres. You can glue old car tyres together with superglue to make a stack of three for example, and even glue them to the truck floor if it has a wood floor. the 'cheap shops' sell superglue very cheaply.

If it was mine I'd be careful about the kind of carpet I chose for padding it. I would go to a carpet layers and buy some offcuts of natural fibre carpet, cotton or wool, definitely not synthetic. Two synthetics rubbing together is a recipe for disaster - and the wing sails are synthetic.

However, again if it was mine, I wouldn't use carpet I'd use closed cell PE/EVA foam, it won't wear through like 'foam rubber' will. Here is an example of the type of foam - the blue one shown in the pics, it comes in most colours so it's not the colour that matters. To be sure it's the right type squeeze it between your fingers and if it springs straight back it's crosslinked and closed cell, if it stays indented and takes a while to recover it's open cell and no good for your purpose. Some of the pipe lagging foam types would do too if you can buy some for large pipes and split it down the length - again check that's it's high density and springs back to shape immediately, and make sure it's properly secured in place and doesn't gradually slip out from under your wings.

Try phoning Rod Birrell, he's the current RAA Pres and runs a school in Melb so should know many folks in Melbourne who might help with ferrying to the border, but would you really want to worry about that, it's only about two hours flight time from Melbourne to Tocumwal on the NSW border and a simple enough fly through flat farming country if you pick your route. The whole trip is about 700Nm from Melb to Roma I think, so it's a fairly easy two days if the weather is kind and saving 100Nm between Melbourne and the border might prevent you from spending time with the seller and ironing out anything you might not be 100% happy about before accepting it.

EDIT - Google 'wing cradle', cradles are better than trying to make a big bundle of the wings with lots of foam and straps.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank HITC- all very relevant info- particularly appreciate Internet links when I was just trying to visualise the right kind of foam. Unfortunately, cost and damage reduction dictates that flying it home is one of the better options and yes, the first leg probably does seem pointless, but I am contending with one main issue....related to lack of xcountry endo. Yes, I am ashamed to say that I am a flight test away from my endorsement and currently all our a/c are out of action.

Would make one hell of a solo nav eh??? (Just jokes people....)

I did have a trailer, I used as a hangar for my drifter while I was in Newman WA, I used an old 27 foot caravan trailer, made a huge shell and then covered it with corrugated iron, I put a shelf on one side that took the wings folded with the ailerons attached, a two person job but kept it all out of the sun. I only used this for short trips to and from the field ( 50km at the utmost) until I built my hangar. The vibration and rubbing is just not worth it, if the trailer is open you will get a lot of wind buffeting and if the wind gets into the open end of the two wing roots you could be in real trouble. I'm happy to fly her anywhere for you, just get me there and home to Adelaide and I'm yours, no charge for the flying either, you just pay costs for the aircraft and a cold bourbon or three when I get to yours at the end. I did similar for a mate in Northern QLD, he sold his Kitfox and asked me to fly it from Whitsundays to Monto ( only 330nm ).

The question is " can you not fly it yourself ? "

• Winner 1

.... but I am contending with one main issue....related to lack of xcountry endo. Yes, I am ashamed to say that I am a flight test away from my endorsement and currently all our a/c are out of action.Would make one hell of a solo nav eh??? (Just jokes people....)

There's no shame in that, I wish I was back at the beginning of my flying life.

Now that you have your pilot certificate there's no need for you to do your endorsements at the same school or with the same instructor, in fact you would gain a lot by flying with a different instructor and also gain even more by doing your navs in an area that you're not so familiar with. Why not consider renting a cabin or van in a caravan park down in/near Melbourne for a few days and hiring an instructor from a Melbourne school to do your navs in your own new plane down there? Using your own plane instead of renting one in Roma will save you some cash and probably pay for the trip and accommodation. That way you'd get familiar with the plane while there's an instructor on board in case anything isn't perfect and you'd also get familiar with the slightly busier airspace around Melbourne city and the VFR corridors heading north so that you'd be in a good position before heading off.

Patrick, your generosity is amazing and I am speechless! I am happy to make it worth your while, as fair is fair, but would love to look at maybe even just a portion of the trip. I am wondering whether it would make sense to drive down for some ground support, just to make life easier. Let me think about what I can do.

Regardless though, very grateful for the offer. Have been dreaming of a drifter for eternity and unfortunately the one I like it in woop-woop!!

Umm, the shame is I am not at the beginning of my flying life!!! I actually have around 80 odd hours in drifter, tecnams, jabs, RANS etc, so my flying is not really a problem, it's just that marriage/life got in the way of a my cross country...for about 10 years....!!!

Yes, that is A lot of circuits, isn't it!!

Seb, no probs, I'm a country kid at heart ( 43 and still just a kid ), I was always taught to help out where you can, I have holidays coming up in December but if before then, we can organise something. I built my own Fisher Mk1 from Wayne, I have another aircraft a Chinook 2s which I have just finished rebuilding, and I have 1146 hours in just drifters and more than 3500 hours total. I love to fly, but I know where you are coming from, I have 5 kids, a wife and en ex, so life is very full and money is very hard to keep. Let me know if I can help at all. Mobile number is 0408931040.

• Like 3

Might be worth seeing if you can use the trip to do your cross county endo. Some friends of mine who flew some drifters they bought, in from the west, always travelled with ground support, as the new purchase was an unknown.

Flying is probably the safest for the aircraft, but remember weather and outlandings are always a possibility.

• Helpful 1

I'm happy to fly her anywhere for you, just get me there and home to Adelaide and I'm yours, no charge for the flying either, you just pay costs for the aircraft and a cold bourbon or three when I get to yours at the end. I did similar for a mate in Northern QLD, he sold his Kitfox and asked me to fly it from Whitsundays to Monto ( only 330nm ).

WOW what a great offer...good on you Patrick... that really helping out your mate in need and I bet you all have a great time getting back up here to QLD...well done:clap:

David

• Agree 2

Thanks Tex - champion.

Truth be told, I am just a little worried about putting someone else in the hot seat if all goes bad, but I am certainly still keen. No matter what, there WILL be ground support, as unleaded and premix is one little annoyance, but also so we could pull up wherever we end up and not have to contend with transport issues etc.

Jeez, sounds like I better buy this sucker...

• Like 1

Yep, owner seems keen on trailering, as wings are currently off, but otherwise ready for flight. Rego current, if owner doesn't mind I would get all other matter lined up once it is I home.

Aren't you keen to fly before you buy?

I hate to think about fitting of new skins Dazza - I would run out of spit from cursing!!!

For those helpful souls that hae been contributing, I have since purchased my new baby and at this stage, have located very generous CFI who (at the stage) is happy to fly it back up here, all going well.

As a side note, I was fairly impressed to hear how the owner got the assembled wings to Melbourne originally, by slinging them in a large tarp from the inside of the truck, with all the necessary padding. Great ideas to spread the weight evenly along the wing and eliminate bruising/rubbing on the wings. Not bad!

• Like 1

I have since purchased my new baby and at this stage, have located very generous CFI who (at the stage) is happy to fly it back up here, all going well.

I hope you have many years of safe and fun flying in your new baby seb, and have a fun time getting back to your home..congrats 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

David

• Like 2

I hate to think about fitting of new skins Dazza - I would run out of spit from cursing!!!For those helpful souls that hae been contributing, I have since purchased my new baby and at this stage, have located very generous CFI who (at the stage) is happy to fly it back up here, all going well.

As a side note, I was fairly impressed to hear how the owner got the assembled wings to Melbourne originally, by slinging them in a large tarp from the inside of the truck, with all the necessary padding. Great ideas to spread the weight evenly along the wing and eliminate bruising/rubbing on the wings. Not bad!

I've never thought of using a tarp, but it's a damn good idea. Don't worry too much about fitting skins it's not that big a deal. My ailerons were tight, but I did my wings in about 2 hrs, with only help from my wife.