Ultralight puts down in Banks Strait, Tasmania

Guest Maj Millard
No forward vision in the Lindbergh plane. ( a purpose build Ryan with the magnificent Wright whirlwind motor) The Bleriot could easily be built as a replica and is a fairly conventional wire braced monoplane with castering wheels. There's a project for some keen aviator , that would not cost much..Nev

Bleroits channel - crossing machine was very simple, and the first accredited aircraft to have three axis controls as we know them today, IE: rudder bar with elevator and ailerons on the stick in the conventual manner. The landing gear setup (IE : taildragger) was a new development at the time also. Bleroit was said to be the inventor of the three - axis controls even though he only had wing - warping for 'aileron' controls'...which worked just as well. Aileron is French for 'little wing'.........................Maj.......014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No forward vision in the Lindbergh plane. ( a purpose build Ryan with the magnificent Wright whirlwind motor) The Bleriot could easily be built as a replica and is a fairly conventional wire braced monoplane with castering wheels. There's a project for some keen aviator , that would not cost much..Nev

There is a Bleriot replica at Watts Bridge airfield, it has been on display at a few fly ins, looked almost complete but one would need some self confidence to fly it - either that or it's a non flying replica which would be a bit of a waste of some skilled craftsmanship

Paul I think there are a few flying. If the winds weren't too strong I can't see the plane being too hard to fly. In contrast to the Wright Flyer which has embarrassed a few pilots by slipping sideways (as it would)) A lot of other replica's would be harder especially done to scale like a Fokker Triplane. Nev

I've crossed Bass Strait three times. Always in company with other aircraft with good radios. If one goes down, the other can report to Melbourne Radio with coordinates and details, and probably hang around long enough to direct a rescuing chopper to the site. No way I'd go solo across the water! JG

JG, Not having a go at you at all, just expressing my opinion in an attempt to create awareness.

Flying in company with other aircraft with good radios is not a bad thing to do but once up there, every aircraft is on their own. It doesn`t follow that in the event of a ditching the chances of survival will increas.

First! you have to survive the ditching, then you need to survive long enough for the rescue people to reach you and this could be any length of time. If you are injured, your survival time may be reduced drastically and you may not survive.

My policy is! Never do something you wouldn`t do while flying on your own, simply because you are flying in company with other aircraft, either over land or water.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

all that being said this is classic RAA type accident

• two stroke engine

• 20 year old plane

• taught airmanship by uncle Eugene

• failed the "am I stupid" test

The up side is not fatalities, passenger wasn't too impressed

I flew In A 582 equipped Xair very early this morning during 'extensive use on a property'.., (aka: mustering) doubt if we got much above 500 at any time...great flight. .

The land looks quite well in the pics but was it one of those days when the cattle didn't want to play?

Guest Maj Millard

Well only posted the pretty shots !......we were actually looking for a bull who had decided he would spend the night in the heffer paddock without permission,.....we did spot him eventually but it wasn't like he wanted to be found !!!!........lucky bugger had had a big night I think........Maj....008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

image.jpg.8403ef38d4deae5f2f0585d96d288820.jpg

Well only posted the pretty shots !......we were actually looking for a bull who had decided he would spend the night in the heffer paddock without permission,.....we did spot him eventually but it wasn't like he wanted to be found !!!!........lucky bugger had had a big night I think........Maj....008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

.....must be a young bull he got found.?

...I keep flogging the idea of the wankel for sportplanes. Not necessarily the Mazda though...

I've been following the wankel engine for yonks. They are said to keep running even after suffering major damage: just what we need in aircraft. Rotary engines out of Mazdas are affordable, but too heavy. Do you have any links to more lightweight versions suitable for little planes? After decades of development, surely their fuel efficiency has improved a bit. Perhaps light weight might partially make up for thirsty running.

Its often said that one "Lives to Fly". But it would be even greater if we heard "Fly to Live" as a good sense motto. Honestly I don't think that I am of the Wrapped in cotton wool mob. But life is the most valuable asset of all and if I considered flying over more water than I could swim out of, I would plan very carefully and take every precaution. I walked with my wife to a scenic spot in the Bridabellas the other month. From a high vantage we could see stretched out before us unbroken forest. Would I feel comfortable flying over that in the Kitfox? No way! I just think that the tragedy of lost life in an aircraft crash is the saddest thing. A moment before people in the best of health in a perfectly good plane and then...disaster. Sorry for being maudlin but its the way I feel. Don

• Agree 6

Doesn't woolen clothing absorb water and become very heavy?

Yes it would be heavy for winching out of the water, but is neutral in the water. It has the same effect as a wet suit for retaining heat, I've used such many times for diving when no wet suit handy. A wet suit, or even better a dry immersion suit, would be better. It'd be good if you could rent one just for the crossing.....

JG

• Informative 1

In 1985 I bought a lightwing with a 582 and would have flown it over the straight If given the opportunity,UNTIL, the engine failed over open country and a safe landing evolved. It was then that I made the decision that I would never fly a two stroke powered aircraft again no matter what pressure came my way.I am still flying regularly in my own aircraft , since then they have been Jabiru 4 and 6 cyl and a 8 cyl in a Mk26 Spitfire and currently a Rotax 912 uls ---4cyl !!!!

The engine failed at 107 hrs absolutely no warning and just disintegrated ,my advice since then to any buyer pilot is if you are going to do any serious flying over anything you cannot land on safely then give two strokes a miss!!!!

I disagree ,

I only fly a two stroke and Ligthwing now for more then 15 years with over 500 hours with out a single problem I trust my little engine but I always fly IFR " I follow roads" I do all my checks & maintains on a regular bassis I warm the engine before flight I have flown to place like Thursday Island , weipa , mt isa , and as far south as nsw, but I don't care what engine u run u only have one then u should not fly tiger country with out a lot of hight or some where to land . Plan the flight with a escape route s and away fly as she may stop .

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Hi Doug, Are you running a Rotax 582 and if so is it a grey or blue head?

Frank.

Both frank 229 was a grey top & 0032 is a blue top most of the hours was done with the grey top in 229 0032 has done 40 hours now ,!

hey Franko, what was the difference between the grey and blue head?

David, From my research, it appears the only difference between the two is that the blue head has a Thermostat and Ceramic water pump seal. The grey head has no Thermostat and rubber water pump seals.

I`ve heard talk that a bigger crankshaft and bearings was fitted to the blue head but I think they are the same in both engines.

Both frank 229 was a grey top & 0032 is a blue top most of the hours was done with the grey top in 229 0032 has done 40 hours now ,!

Doug, The reason I asked is because you`ve quoted 500 hours. If those hours are on one motor and the Crankshaft hasn`t been renewed, I reckon it`s time to start thinking about it.

Of my four 582 grey head, three went over 600hrs but failed to make 700 hours. They failed in the main crankshaft bearings. With the fourth 582, I replaced the crankshaft at 500 hrs and did a further 550 hrs. then scrapped it.

Frank.

• Like 1

David, From my research, it appears the only difference between the two is that the blue head has a Thermostat and Ceramic water pump seal. The grey head has no Thermostat and rubber water pump seals.I`ve heard talk that a bigger crankshaft and bearings was fitted to the blue head but I think they are the same in both engines.

Doug, The reason I asked is because you`ve quoted 500 hours. If those hours are on one motor and the Crankshaft hasn`t been renewed, I reckon it`s time to start thinking about it.

Of my four 582 grey head, three went over 600hrs but failed to make 700 hours. They failed in the main crankshaft bearings. With the fourth 582, I replaced the crankshaft at 500 hrs and did a further 550 hrs. then scrapped it.

Frank.

And the blue head mixes its own fuel, the grey head you have to pre mix. It is important to always have a bit of fuel going through the grey head on long descents, otherwise no lubricant! The blue head is always putting the oil in.

Hi David, Banks straight is the stretch of water between the most northern tip of Tasmania and Anderson Is. (I think)

What's so special about Anderson Is? It looks to be an insignificant mudbank between two substantial islands.

• Like 1