Ultralight puts down in Banks Strait, Tasmania

What's so special about Anderson Is? It looks to be an insignificant mudbank between two substantial islands.

Thats why it is called Banks Straight ... it is full of mud banks ... ho ho ho (sorry, couldn't miss that one Lyle)

• Caution 1

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David, From my research, it appears the only difference between the two is that the blue head has a Thermostat and Ceramic water pump seal. The grey head has no Thermostat and rubber water pump seals.I`ve heard talk that a bigger crankshaft and bearings was fitted to the blue head but I think they are the same in both engines.

Both frank 229 was a grey top & 0032 is a blue top most of the hours was done with the grey top in 229 0032 has done 40 hours now ,!

Doug, The reason I asked is because you`ve quoted 500 hours. If those hours are on one motor and the Crankshaft hasn`t been renewed, I reckon it`s time to start thinking about it.

Of my four 582 grey head, three went over 600hrs but failed to make 700 hours. They failed in the main crankshaft bearings. With the fourth 582, I replaced the crankshaft at 500 hrs and did a further 550 hrs. then scrapped it.

Frank.

Yes all good frank I did all the required maintain an when I sold her she was total engine tare down and checked

Yes ya right I will be changing out the engine around the 500 hour and replacing with new ones cheap insurance Me thinks but I think good practice and engine care makes all the difference to how long they last and the are cheap to replace with a new one at $5000 a lot cheaper then a four stroke !

• Haha 1

And the blue head mixes its own fuel, the grey head you have to pre mix.

Is the oil injection ( Oil Pump ) standard on all blue head? Grey head also came with oil injection! I had one! it did the most total hours, 680.

Frank.

Ps, These days, Rotax 582 recomended TBO is 300 hrs.

Guest Maj Millard
Is the oil injection ( Oil Pump ) standard on all blue head? Grey head also came with oil injection! I had one! it did the most total hours, 680.Frank.

No not necessarily Frank, the engine may or may not come with it standard. Many wisely remove it for extended service. The mixing of oil with fuel becomes only a monorail inconvienance when the oil injection fails, owner uses the wrong oil, or the oil tank is allowed to go dry !.............................008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Guest Maj Millard

I was told today, but can't guarantee accuracy , that the Bass Straight Thruster was only powered by a 503...........Maj...

I was told today, but can't guarantee accuracy , that the Bass Straight Thruster was only powered by a 503...........Maj...

If the photo in the new article linked at post #24, is the actual (photo says it's "the aircraft", but we know what journalists are like), it would appear to be a 582.

I've been following the wankel engine for yonks. They are said to keep running even after suffering major damage: just what we need in aircraft. Rotary engines out of Mazdas are affordable, but too heavy. Do you have any links to more lightweight versions suitable for little planes? After decades of development, surely their fuel efficiency has improved a bit. Perhaps light weight might partially make up for thirsty running.

Hello are you aware of the little single seat Canard in the UK called the "E-Go" which is undergoing final trials before production it is powered by a specially developed Wankle Rotary called the Rotron. Rotron make a range of rotarys which they are promoting to the drone and light aviation market.

When I run out of 447's (I have a spare in a box), I am seriously considering one for the Sapphire by then they will have stood the test of time.

I would attach the link but Ipads have a mind of their own so suggest you Google the site.

Regards Anthony

• Informative 1

... Rotron make a range of rotarys which they are promoting to the drone and light aviation market......

Yes, it's a neat looking little engine based on a wankel kart engine, I'm not sure if its an offshoot of the Aixro or not but certainly very similar.

Here's the link to the site you referred to - Rotronaero

And there's the US site too where they advertise a couple of models of 30-62hp in small and large single rotor and double small rotor for UAVs -

But - as for them promoting to light aviation, as they certainly do say that on the UK site with the E-Go promo - however I've been emailing them for a while and the silence is deafening, the emails don't bounce back, just that no-one's answering ...

• Informative 2

Yes, it's a neat looking little engine based on a wankel kart engine, I'm not sure if its an offshoot of the Aixro or not but certainly very similar.Here's the link to the site you referred to - Rotronaero

And there's the US site too where they advertise a couple of models of 30-62hp in small and large single rotor and double small rotor for UAVs -

But - as for them promoting to light aviation, as they certainly do say that on the UK site with the E-Go promo - however I've been emailing them for a while and the silence is deafening, the emails don't bounce back, just that no-one's answering ...

Not supprised I expect they are watching the E-Go very carefully and cautiously, even rotax had and may still do warnings their engines are not suitable for aviation use.

Not supprised I expect they are watching the E-Go very carefully and cautiously, even rotax had and may still do warnings their engines are not suitable for aviation use.

Copied from the rotaronaero website:

If you would like a quote for the supply of our advanced rotary engines for your light-aviation project, please feel free to contact us.

Regards Bill

Ne

What's so special about Anderson Is? It looks to be an insignificant mudbank between two substantial islands.

Nearest dry land?

If they were in Banks Strait they were between Cape Portland and Clarke Island.

Anderson Island is in the middle of Franklin Sound between Cape Barren and Flinders Islands.

Lots of small airstrips marked on the VTC - Clarke Island, Passage Island, Browns, Trouser Point - anyone have personal knowledge of these?

Kaz

Is the oil injection ( Oil Pump ) standard on all blue head? Grey head also came with oil injection! I had one! it did the most total hours, 680.Frank.

No the oil pump is an option with I did choice to run with my blue top I beleave it to be an asset And foe me it the right way to go so far I swear bye the system work great ,

• Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

Well I 've done a lot of good hours two-up with a twin- carb 503, as long as you keep the fan belt firm and watch the CHTs...they are a god little engine......

Early Thusters only had the 503 option when they were first built.

Like I say nothing wrong with them, and really a classic like the 582, however a Thruster, lots of fuel, two bums plus a lot of gear, and maybe a headwind, and that little baby would be earning its keep for sure. Maybe they stayed too long at full rpms climbing, when they should have back off a bit, and did a slow cruise climb at about 200 FPM while letting things cool down a bit ?......Wonder how many hours the pilot had behind 503s or any two- stroke for that matter ?.....................Maj....063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

If in fact the engine on the Thruster was a Rotax 503, the aircraft didn`t go down because the engine was a 503! it went down because the engine failed! it stoped running! Any engine can fail, without warning, for numerous reasons.

With this afternoons flying, my current Rotax 503 DCDI has done 356.5 hrs and in all that time, it hasn`t missed a beat! not once. Does this mean that it won`t fail on the very next flight?........ Of course not.

Frank.

• Agree 1

I wonder if anyone can change the title of this thread.... it isn't very acurate...... - I'ts probably not possible and it's nota huge drama but.........FFS

Skip to map

Do you have a picture of 'Banks Strait'?

Share your Australia - add a picture

Banks Strait is located on the South Pacific Ocean. It is about 260km north-northeast of Hobart (show me). Banks Strait is one of the northernmost localities in Tasmania.

• 2 years later...

And now the Court case

If it was one of us doing the flight by the rules, we probably would have perished!

Fly Safe

RW

From ABC

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-09/reckless-flying-charge-for-pilot-who-ditched-ultralight/7012376

Print Email Facebook Twitter More

Reckless flying charge for pilot who ditched ultra-light plane in Bass Strait

Posted 42 minutes ago

PHOTO: Shayd Hector and Joel Nelson received cuts in the crash and were treated for hypothermia before flying home to Newcastle after the 2013 crash. (ABC)

RELATED STORY: Two Newcastle men 'lucky to survive' ultralight crash

MAP: TASthey described clinging to debris fearing they could be attacked by a shark.

Hector did not enter pleas and was ordered to return to the Launceston Magistrates Court in February.

Topics: air-transport, courts-and-trials, tas, nsw

• Informative 1