Ultralight puts down in Banks Strait, Tasmania

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the other team, should have locked this guy up & thrown away the key! I spent too many years in the RFDS to know that morons like this are oxygen thieves! Wasting resources!

Thank God you are not a Magistrate Capt ... you would probably hang draw and quarter real criminals ...LOL

The older we get the more cynical we are, goes with thinning hair & a lifetime spent staying out of the authorities spotlight:laugh:

I would have "liked" but then I saw the thinning hair bit. "Grey" I can understand...even my f****y is going grey!

Kaz

• Haha 2
  • Informative 1

Me too. This has been a legal beat up out of all reasonable proportion.

Should I mention that someone else flew across the Pond some years ago with a double banger R&T?

Kaz

Should I mention that someone else flew across the Pond some years ago with a double banger R&T?Kaz

Ha ha why not Kaz ... how are you and that mighty Auster going ?

Lots of people fly across that ditch in double banger two strokes. Drifters for example. So this kid made a couple of mistakes, was beaten up by the media, then beaten up by RAA then just for sport was beaten up by CASA. He was 23 FFS. He paid big time for his own mistakes. But that is not good enough, lets hang him out to dry and throw away the key. FFS lets get this in proportion and go after the real criminals shall we.

• Agree 6
  • Winner 1

A certain Ben Buckley flew his Lightwing from Mallacoota to NZ quite a few years ago but he forgot to tell anyone before he left. Can't understand why.

Bit of a problem because he also forgot to go through Customs and Quarantine when he got there.

Kaz

• Agree 1

BB didn't tell the authorities because if he had the wouldn't have let him go

And that is his words

So he just left when he did

Couple of my friends flew out with him first 20 miles and thought they would never see him again

But low and behold he is still here

Yeah ... well I have always wanted to fly the Auster to NZ, im sure it could easily do it ... BUT, Shirley said ...not while you are married to me ...

Happy wife, easy(er) life.

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Yeah ... well I have always wanted to fly the Auster to NZ, im sure it could easily do it ... BUT, Shirley said ...not while you are married to me ...

David - my brother used to fly his J1 (G??) as a daily commuter from Mittagong strip to Bankstown (before your time at YMIG, but you may have seen his old hangar there..).. One time, oiled plugs forced him down on the top of Razorback. He arrived at Bankstown with branches from his departure still lodged in the U/C.

How many croppie strips are there East of Mallacoota???

• More 1

I've looked at flying north to Indo and beyond (Cape Leveque to Rote isl, over Adele, Browse and Ashmore/Cartier ).

But to be frank, NZ scares the heck out of me compared to that!!

• Helpful 1

David - my brother used to fly his J1 (G??) as a daily commuter from Mittagong strip to Bankstown (before your time at YMIG, but you may have seen his old hangar there..).. One time, oiled plugs forced him down on the top of Razorback. He arrived at Bankstown with branches from his departure still lodged in the U/C. How many croppie strips are there East of Mallacoota???

Jeez Oscar, how the hell did you know I used to fly out of Mittagong, that was years ago. I used to fly Frank Bailey's Mustang out of there, one of the early 95-10 category before the AUF was born. I do remember that old hangar, pretty sure it was empty in the days I was there. Of course now it s wall to wall of hangars, a far cry from what it was back in '82.

David - my brother used to fly his J1 (G??) as a daily commuter from Mittagong strip to Bankstown (before your time at YMIG, but you may have seen his old hangar there..).. One time, oiled plugs forced him down on the top of Razorback. He arrived at Bankstown with branches from his departure still lodged in the U/C. How many croppie strips are there East of Mallacoota???

Just how far east are you thinking about?

Kaz

I have no problem with proper training, however, our current crap legal environment here in Australia is more likely to make people rigidly adhere to a regulation that might actually kill them, than think for themselves about a solution that will save them for fear of legal retribution.I work in defence aviation, and I see people all the time that are more worried about being crucified for not adhering to a process, than achieving a good outcome.

In the past, I have had some training that was outside the scope of the regs, and I am in one piece because of that.

Inflexibility is a killer, but all we seem to do is become more rigid.

Appropriately, this has just showed up....

AVweb - Reaper Spins While Pilot Runs Checklist

Gee I wonder if the remote pilot will be taken out in the desert somewhere & remotely shot!:-)Humans always fail, am not surprised at this at all!

Nah...'Muricans.....they'll find a way to make sure no-one is at fault.074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

Nah...'Muricans.....they'll find a way to make sure no-one is at fault.074_stirrer.gif.5dad7b21c959cf11ea13e4267b2e9bc0.gif

Probably bomb some poor 3rd world nation as retribution.....

And the pilot will be reprimanded, for not completing the checklist.... 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Jeez Oscar, how the hell did you know I used to fly out of Mittagong, that was years ago. I used to fly Frank Bailey's Mustang out of there, one of the early 95-10 category before the AUF was born. I do remember that old hangar, pretty sure it was empty in the days I was there. Of course now it s wall to wall of hangars, a far cry from what it was back in '82.

(Thread Drift Alert!!)

Aah, David, some of the old lags here haven't forgotten you, and some have even forgiven you! No, more honestly, you mentioned it in a thread maybe a couple of years ago and I filed it away in my usually unreliable memory.

When we built that hangar, was I think 1967; YMIG hadn't been used for years and we negotiated with the bloke who owned it for access. His condition was, that no movements were ok when he was running his trotters on the small oval track at the South end..

We trundled the MF35 with the post-hole digger down from near Hill Top where we lived (and I still do) and dug the holes for the uprights in one of the old Mustang ( P51 variety) bays, then cut the timber for the hangar from our place and hauled it there on top of the Chevvy '52 ute! All el-primo Stringybark, dropped and stripped for the job.

I flew out of / into YMIG quite a few times in 1968-69 in the Auster (as a passenger). Learned to swing a Gypsy Major into life.. Have flown up the channels from Bargo looking up at the edges when the cloud base was sod-all.. or slightly less than that.

In winter, the runway lights for an after-dark arrival at YMIG were the twin Cibie Super Oscar spotlights on the Peugeot driven by my sister-in-law behind the Auster as it landed. Not that any of us would ever admit to that.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

(Thread Drift Alert!!)Aah, David, some of the old lags here haven't forgotten you, and some have even forgiven you! No, more honestly, you mentioned it in a thread maybe a couple of years ago and I filed it away in my usually unreliable memory.

When we built that hangar, was I think 1967; YMIG hadn't been used for years and we negotiated with the bloke who owned it for access. His condition was, that no movements were ok when he was running his trotters on the small oval track at the South end..

We trundled the MF35 with the post-hole digger down from near Hill Top where we lived (and I still do) and dug the holes for the uprights in one of the old Mustang ( P51 variety) bays, then cut the timber for the hangar from our place and hauled it there on top of the Chevvy '52 ute! All el-primo Stringybark, dropped and stripped for the job.

I flew out of / into YMIG quite a few times in 1968-69 in the Auster (as a passenger). Learned to swing a Gypsy Major into life.. Have flown up the channels from Bargo looking up at the edges when the cloud base was sod-all.. or slightly less than that.

In winter, the runway lights for an after-dark arrival at YMIG were the twin Cibie Super Oscar spotlights on the Peugeot driven by my sister-in-law behind the Auster as it landed. Not that any of us would ever admit to that.

Yeah, sorry for the thread drift ...

Yep,

We had the same restriction, no flying when he was trotting. I suppose the old bloke has long passed. Is that trotting track still there or did the runway get extended into it? I remember he had a really old vintage car abandoned in one of his sheds on the farm. Sigh ... I digress ...

I'll have to get my J1B in the air and come on down to Mittagong one of these days, but then again, I have been saying that for a while too.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back in 82 ...Geez that's recent .They had radios and all sorts of things then. Only went to Mittagong once in a Beech A 36. around 64-65 There were bushfires everywhere and someone had to get there urgently from Newcastle. Talk about sacred smoke.. Everywhere. Not that easy to find at the time, or maybe it's just me...Nev

Back in 82 ...Geez that's recent .They had radios and all sorts of things then. Only went to Mittagong once in a Beech A 36. around 64-65 There were bushfires everywhere and someone had to get there urgently from Newcastle. Talk about sacred smoke.. Everywhere. Not that easy to find at the time, or maybe it's just me...Nev

Probably 1968, Nev - that was the worst year for fires here, we were all but wiped off the face of the earth, then the wind changed.

There's a strip on Gabo is. Kaz .... that's roughly East ..... Bob

Hi Biggles

I've been there and seen the strip. Not well-maintained since Parks took it over, unfortunately.

Used to be some wild cattle on the island that were left over from when there was grazing occurring.

The pink quartz is spectacular and was quarried to build the lighthouse and keepers' cottages.

Kaz

• Informative 1