Getting close to my ticket!

Guest Crash Lander

Guest Crash Lander

Went up again this afternoon.

went over what is left in the syllabus. Short answer is: Not much. Have to do advanced stalls, steep decending turns, and some crosswind circuit solo time, and that's about it.

Today I did practice forced landings onto the runway, and some circuits, and I did a pracice 'entering the circuit' run.

The a/c gadn't been out much today, so she needed a bit of time to warm up. The fuel pump didn't seem to be switching on during the start up checks, so I called my instructor back out o the plane. She tells me it does actually work, once you get going. There is a new one on order apparently. I did hear it working as I shut down for the day, so she was right.

Anyway, wind was almost non-existent, but the lazy wind sock suggested Rwy 35. Took off, climbed to 500', turned left, as per the circuit direction, and continued to climb through 1000, turned downwind, and continued up to 1500', then turned as if on base but continued to climb to 2000'.

I then turned upwind again, and pulled the throttle right back to 2000rpm. Carb heat also, of course. Made my call announcing practice forced landing for runway 35, and proceeded with the manouvre. Kept the airspeed at 65KIA, which is best glide for the Gazelle. Made my base call, for practice forced landing, and came in a bit short. I needed another 50m, so I powered up, made it a touch and go, then began the climb back to 2000'. Considering it was the first one I'd done without my instructor in my ear, I didn't beat myself up too much over it.

This time, I did everything exactly the same, only I turned base a little earlier, and this time, I was higher, but a little too high. Thought I may as well get in some slipping practice while I was at it, so shaved off a bit of altitude with a slip. Got it down in the first 3rd of the runway, but a little fast. Touched down doing about 65KIA. Back up I went. This third one was much better. Put her down right where I wanted, at a much better speed. Powered up again and decided to fly out and practice my inbound, and joining the circuit procedures. I flew out to 5 miles, and made my inbound call. Bloody radio started to squeel again like it did a few weeks ago. I reakon it's the PTT button. For those that remember, I switched headsets mid flight last time, and had to use the opposite PTT button. It was suggested that any PTT may make all mikes live. I asked today, and confirmed that the left PTT only made the left mike live, and the same for the right side. I didn't get any advice over the radio that I was un-readable, like I did last time, so I persisted with the left side gear. It seemed to be fine sometimes, and not others. I made sure to mention it when I landed.

Anyway, I made my 5 mile inbound call, and I knew the wind wasn't doing anything, and that I could just join crosswind immediately, but I decided to pretend I had no idea what the wind was doing, as if I had just arrived from somewhere else. I approached the airfield at 1500', and once I could clearly see the wind sock, I determined the landing would be rwy 35, and I was on the dead side of the field. I made a left turn over the field, and then another left turn to head me away from the field again, and began my decent to circuit heigt of 1000'. Made my crosswind joining call, and did a normal circuit. Touch and go, and then another practice forced landing, folowed by another 3 touch and go's, and a full stop.

Air time today was 1.3hours.

Total time now 18.3 hours.

I'll have my ticket in the next 6 weeks or so, including my pax endorsement. After that, it navs, and then next year, I'll start on the PPL syllabus.

Guest Darren Masters

Excellent stuff buddy. Great you are practising and gaining more skill. You will be a free man (well almost) once you have your ticket. No limits then. Sounds like you are having fun too which is great.

Guest Crash Lander
And it sounds like you will be able to take us up for a ride when you get your ticket. Great stuff mate and keep it up. Pretty soon we will have to call you "CAPTAIN CRASH LANDER"

I'm sure I'll be dragging anyone who stands still long enough, to the airport to come and fly with me! LOL! Happy to take you up if you're comfortable with a freshly qualified pilot!