Canberra Airport Open Day - Sunday 26th October

Todd M

Good day all,

Sunday 26th October marks the (Seemingly now annual) Canberra Airport Open Day. On display will be a Qantas Aircraft (Most likely a 763, it was last year!), A Virgin Blue Aircraft (My punt is for an E190, last year it was an E170) and a Brindabella Airlines Aircraft (Taking all bets for a J41) plus many other aircraft. Along with this there will be an F/A 18 Hornet display, fun activities, displays of many kinds and Airside Tarmac Tours! The event will run from 9.30 till 13:30 and parking is located off Molongolo Drive in the Brindabella Business Park. A Link to the PDF File can be found here http://www.canberraairport.com.au/PDF/openday.pdf

Hope to see you all there ;)

I'd go since its so close but i'm going to the Navy Air Show in nowra (http://www.navy.gov.au/HMAS_Albatross_Diamond_Jubilee_Celebrations_2008)

The aircraft there will be:

• Korean War Sea Fury

• Constellation

• C7 Globemaster

• FA18 Hornets

• BAE Hawk

• C130 Hercules

• Navy Seahawk

• Navy Seaking

• Squirrel

• Augusta Helicopter from the RAN, and

• US Navy P3 Orion

Guest Steve R

Weather is very promising as well so it promises to be a great day out and with Brand Depot & DFO nearby the girls can enjoy the day also :)

Today was a great day although a bit muggy and the horrible overcast sky didn't help much.

We got to walk around the planes, being Qantas 767, Virgin E190, MD82, Qantas Dash 8 and others.

I loved that you could pretty much walk under and around the 767 and E190. I didn't get a look in the 767 as the line up was way too long and by the time midday I came I had had enough.

Met up with Todd. The bugga wouldn't give me a plastic bag though, even though I asked for one 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Highlight was the Hornet. We got very close to the action and saw no need for the use of ear plugs that were supplied :rolleyes:

Here some quick shots. I'm still editing 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Mineralogy MD-82. Photos were not allowed to be taken of the cabin but the cockpit was allowed and no one was able to walk into the cabin section. Nice leather seats too :)

Will post more tomorrow

Here are my efforts for the day. it was good to catch up with Glenn again, and to see some lovely aircraft especially the Mineralogy one. Very schmick inside!

VH-QOH the QantasLink Dash 8-Q400 is on display in its Breast Cancer Livery (This aircraft later performed the Mystery Joy Flight)

The Mineralogy MD 82 on Display

The cockpit of the MD-82

VH-OGD 'Maitland' a Boeing 767-338/ER is on display to the public

The F/A-18 Hornet is coming into land on Runway 35

VH-ZPF a Embraer 190 'Maiden Brazil' is on display to the public

The newest firetruck in the Canberra Airport Fleet is the Rosenbauer truck, painted in High Vis Yellow

VH-TJK a Boeing 737-476 'Ibis' is coming into land on Runway 35

A Brindabella Airlines Metro III and a QantasLink Dash 8-Q400 are on display to the large crowd

VH-ZHD a Embrarer 170 'Cherry-belle Blue' is preparing to head to Sydney departing runway 35

More photos can be found at